Please help heal my groin!!

armbarking

Green Belt
Reaction score
About 2 months ago I pulled my groin repping a half guard sweep. Anyway, cut to 2 months later and it still is fucking with me. I go to class, warmup and do special stretches for my groin. I train light, playing little guard and being careful not to squeeze my legs or get them stretched out too much. After class I stretch, go home, ice it down for about 15 minutes, take a warm shower, then ice it down for another 15 minutes. i've also cut back how many days I'm training to accommodate this damn thing, yet it still is bothering me!!:mad:

Does anyone have any advice? More ice? Less ice? More stretching? Anything? Please help, cuz this thing is pissing me off.

Thanks in advance.

damn. that's got to be rough.

How exactly did it happen? What sweep were you going for?

I can see someone ripping their groin if they don't tap from an electric chair or banana split type sub, but I've never heard of it happening to guy on bottom.

I had a nagging groin injury for awhile, finally went away. Took a few months but finally kicked it with some good supps and specific stretching techs. Try to find someone who is a good muscle tech (like a chiro or therapist) and see if they can isolate the exact muscle or ligament so you can make sure to get a specific high percentage repair stretch.

About 2 months ago I pulled my groin repping a half guard sweep. Anyway, cut to 2 months later and it still is fucking with me. I go to class, warmup and do special stretches for my groin. I train light, playing little guard and being careful not to squeeze my legs or get them stretched out too much. After class I stretch, go home, ice it down for about 15 minutes, take a warm shower, then ice it down for another 15 minutes. i've also cut back how many days I'm training to accommodate this damn thing, yet it still is bothering me!!:mad:

Does anyone have any advice? More ice? Less ice? More stretching? Anything? Please help, cuz this thing is pissing me off.

Thanks in advance.

Been to the Doctor?

Read this.

groin strain causes, diagnosis, treatment, avoidance & exercises

You can't train around a serious groin pull for grappling. You have got to take time off and not do shit but ice and anti-inflamatories for a month or two.

Ditto on the time off. I had a groin injury that hung around for a month or two; it just wouldn't get better. I recently took three months off from training (broke my hand) and am just now ready to hit the mat again. The time off got both injuries healed correctly.

Sorry I don't have input other than taking time off--that's the only thing that worked for me.

damn. that's got to be rough.

How exactly did it happen? What sweep were you going for?

I can see someone ripping their groin if they don't tap from an electric chair or banana split type sub, but I've never heard of it happening to guy on bottom.

I was doing the sweep from half guard where you put in one butterfly hook (the outside leg) and kind of pull the guy on top of you placing most of his weight on the leg. You then kind of throw his lower body in the air and recompose full guard. Hard to describe, but I'm sure you've seen it before. Anyway, I did my right side first (which is the dominant side), then went to the left side. Bad move.

You can pull your groin doing many things. This is my second one. First one only lasted a couple weeks and then went away. This one, however, has it out for me!

I did see a physical therapist 1 time, she gave me the stretches, but that was weeks ago and I'm no better off now then I was then. Not training is not an option, either. Maybe I'll go back to her and see if she's got anything else for me. She was kinda cute too...

Hamstrings, and groin pulls suck ass.

I did see a physical therapist 1 time, she gave me the stretches, but that was weeks ago and I'm no better off now then I was then. Not training is not an option, either. Maybe I'll go back to her and see if she's got anything else for me. She was kinda cute too...

If it doesn't get better soon, I would go see a sports medicine doctor (preferably a physical medicine and rehab doctor) where they can diagnose exactly what is wrong with your groin and give you meds for it.

I hate to sound like a crusty old guy, but sometimes guys that say "Not training is not an option", end up with chronic problems because they keep trying to tough guy through something that would have healed up months (or years) ago if they had done what the doctor told 'em. Good luck...

I had to take over two months off for mine to heal last year, but that was a complete tear. It started out a just a strain, but I was an idiot and didn't take time off like my doctor told me to at the time (lesson learned). Instead of taking 2 weeks off to let it heal originally, I was sidelined for 4 times as long.

Not training IS an option.

Groin injuries have a nasty tendency to become chronic if you do not give them time off.

Would you rather lose two months or your entire grappling career?

take 3 weeks off

when an injury accours you do the r.i.c.e (rest,ice,compression,elevation)method for 48 hours .
then let it heal , two to 3 weeks of doing stretching would prob help but going right back to grappling will just make it worse (like your doing) the ice prob helps but your not giving it enough time to heal . by stretching it lightly you wont loose flexibility but rolling full contact will just keep re injurying it .

Thanks guys. I don't mean to sound like an idiot by saying "not training is not an option", cuz obviously it has to be. BJJ is a big part of my life and if it means dealing with this chronically or taking time off now, well I guess taking time off now is the answer. It just sucks because I work from home all day, then train at night, then back home, sleep, rinse and repeat. BJJ is my daily physical and mental release. So when I can't train, I feel it.

Sorry for whining. I'm done. Thanks for letting my use the "Sherdog Shoulder" to cry on. Now back to the PT and see what she says.

Thanks guys. I don't mean to sound like an idiot by saying "not training is not an option", cuz obviously it has to be. BJJ is a big part of my life and if it means dealing with this chronically or taking time off now, well I guess taking time off now is the answer. It just sucks because I work from home all day, then train at night, then back home, sleep, rinse and repeat. BJJ is my daily physical and mental release. So when I can't train, I feel it.

Sorry for whining. I'm done. Thanks for letting my use the "Sherdog Shoulder" to cry on. Now back to the PT and see what she says.

If you cant do bjj for a couple weeks take up stability ball training its what i did for a couple months when i had a bad shoulder , it keeps your flexabilty and gives you a total body work out the same as with ginastica .

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_cNvpIamQOE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_cNvpIamQOE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UQl0UhtAHSo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UQl0UhtAHSo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
YouTube - alvaro_romano ginastica

Take off time, I had a groin pull during football, it put me out for the entire season, even when it starts to feel better DON'T do anything for awhile still cause thats exactly what I did, it felt better I went back to playing and the first time I cut back, there it was again...It sucked, if I wouldn't have tried to force it I would've been back for the last 3 games.

Back