Plantar Warts (HPV) - Prevention and Treatment (Grapplers)

is there anything duct tape can't fix?

It works well. I spent 4 years of college in sandals (24 hours a day) down in FL and I picked one up, didn't even know what it was, untill I had 2 more and then they started getting on my toes in the crevices which made it much harder to deal with/treat because they would spread to the adjacent skin surface.

I took care of close to 10 of them with the duct tape method and they never came back.

Very nice post. I have a family member dealing with them now with the apple cider vinegar/duct tape method. Seems to be working but is slow. How long did you use the apple cider vinegar treatment?

Lucky for you guys I saw this. I have the solution.

I've had three of these before (started spreading) on the ball of my foot. I've tried liquid nitrogen treatment and it was fucking painful. It came back after a few months. After that I had it surgically removed. The pain of that numbing needle punching through your foot callus is excruciating.

Zombie wart is back again after a few months. At this point I'm done trying to get rid of this and figured I would just deal with it. I mean, if surgery can't fix it then wtf else can I do right?

Then it dawned on me, when removing it surgically or by quick kill treatments, it doesn't always get the core or roots that might linger. So what better way than to let your own body get rid of it by letting your own skin push it out.

This is what I used http://compoundw.com/en/products/wart-remover-gel.aspx
I would apply a thin layer after shower and would soak my foot for a few minutes in warm water and re-apply at night.

I used two of these and was able to get rid of my pw. After years of trying different things this one worked. My son ended up getting one about a year ago and I used the same thing on his foot and it worked again.

I suggest you guys try this. It worked for both of us. It kills the top layer so your body pushes new skin from underneath...this pushes the hpv out and is killed by the gel.

The best part is...it's painless. Yes it will take 3-6 months, but it works.

Dayum. Didn't know the (more than questionable) hygiene on that mats in Abu Dhabi would still be causing you drama now. Sorry man, rough luck. And that's not even counting the guy I saw training with a literal hole in their back and cling film/saran wrap on it. @_@

Hope it clears up for good soon.

Peace. >_<

I had a PW the size of a dime between the bases of my big and second toes, up past the ball of my foot. That and the others I got kept me off the mats for almost 18 months. After liquid nitrogen didn't handle it I ended up dissolving it with acid, filing it and cutting it out of my foot with nail clippers over the course of months. The giant hole in my foot hurt like Hell.
TTT for washing your Goddamn feet and sparing others months/years of discomfort and lost mat time.

It works well. I spent 4 years of college in sandals (24 hours a day) down in FL and I picked one up, didn't even know what it was, untill I had 2 more and then they started getting on my toes in the crevices which made it much harder to deal with/treat because they would spread to the adjacent skin surface.

I took care of close to 10 of them with the duct tape method and they never came back.

i thought u were gonna say ur sandals were made out of duct tape.

Why did you abandon the apple cider vinegar? It works despite the smell. Also ask your dermatologist about veregen 15%

Good luck- warts are no fun but once u find something that works you'll be fine.

Who knew plantar warts are hillariously serious business

I had one this past year almost between my toes. I tried a lot of different acid treatments including pads and gel, but I found that duct tape was the most effective. The acid treatments were really rough on my skin. They would burn the wart and also the skin around it. Finally I got so sick of the acid that I just decided to go all out with the duct tape. After several weeks of keeping the wart covered almost 24/7, my foot stopped hurting and the wart just fell off. I was soooooo happy to have it gone, and who would have thought a $3 roll of duct tape would do what all the fancy (and expensive) over the counter wart treatments could not.

I swear by applying half a crushed garlic clove to the wart twice a day. I leave them on essentially all day.

It's the only thing that's gotten rid of them for me. I haven't had one in years.

this thread makes me really wonder how many od these home treatments people swear by are really just like placebos lol. could u imagine what the world would be like without verifiable science or if everything media outlets say about medicine became true? shit would be cray

I had some that stayed around forever. I spent months going to the derm and getting them trimmed down a little and then frozen just to have them come back. The freezing just wasn't doing enough and they weren't cutting enough. Eventually they told me it would probably take 4 or 5 months of laser surgery to get rid of them.

I'm not saying this is the best way, but I then got rid of them using computer cleaning duster and my an xacto knife. I would cut them down pretty much flat with the knife and then I would turn the can of compressed computer duster upside down and spray the liquid directly at my foot until I could pretty much no longer take it (my food would go numb and start to shiver a bit.

Took about a 6 weeks and probably 2 cans of computer duster to get rid of them. I didn't look at them for a few days after doing it and keeping them covered and when the scab came off it was just normal skin. It felt like it was Christmas morning.

Edit:
Also during the year I spent trying to get it cleaned up at the derm - I tried so much other stuff. The Wart away bandaids, duct tape, home freezing kits, garlic cloves, etc. Nothing worked. The at home bandaids and freezing kits just seemed to be to low of a concentration. I'd go through the whole little can of freezing stuff like in one application trying to get it cold enough that it felt like it was doing anything. The derm felt stronger, but still didn't do it enough (in my opinion) and it was getting expensive going there every other week.

The comp duster was just as good in my opinion as the stuff at the doctor's office. Super cold and you get a ton of it for a 3 dollar can (instead of the 20 dollar for the official wart freeze off stuff). I'd turned it upside down and blast my foot with it.

Last edited:
I had a horrible one on my wrist once. I tried freezing it, apple cider vinegar, salicylic acid, cutting it off...

One day in a fit of rage, I grabbed some vice grips and bunched up the wart and the surrounding skin and locked it up and twisted side to side until I ripped a chunk out of my wrist. It bled like crazy, but the wart never came back.

I get the damn things all the time, theyre a pain in the arse, (not literally!) I got one on my fucking neck a few months back, some manky footed bastard bust have stuck their foot there when trying a gogo or something. Cryo is useless for me but salicylic acid blitzes them in a week or so. Sucks to have to stay away from training because someone cant clean their damn feet though.

doc told me a long time ago when i had a plantar wart on the bottom of my food to ALWAYS do the following:

-add vinegar to the wash cycle with ALL laundry
-put socks on FIRST before undies. prevents ringworm, athlete's foot, fungus from your nails, plantar warts, etc from being transferred to your junk.

i had one on the bottom of my foot and one on the heel of my hand when i was in high school. i think i got them from the locker room.

the foot wart was fairly easy to deal with. doc gave me some sort of medicated tape to stick on it. after 2 weeks or so i was pulling the tape off one day and the wart just came out of my foot- seeds, roots, and all. hurt like a mother and i bled a good bit. once it healed i was fine and it never came back.

the wart on my hand, however, was way worse to deal with. i had it frozen probably 8x and tried the tape to no avail. i kept digging at it with all sorts if implements until one day i yanked it out, which was excruciating. i bled like crazy and considered heading to the doc for stitches until it stopped. used neosporin on it and it healed up ok with no recurrence.

wash yo damn feet people! and make sure those mats get cleaned up on a regular basis!

whats the difference with Molluscum contagiosum?

Not entirely sure, but my sense is that these are less problematic than plantars as they are easily removed. They can be frozen/cut away without significant issue.

I had a bad case of warts in my feet couple years ago (before I started grappling). I'm pretty sure I got them from the locker room of the place where I trained.

And then?....

Duct tape works better than anything else, but it takes a week or 2 of constantly covering them with duct tape. No one really knows why it works but it does

One thing I've learned from this (miserable) experience is that different things are effective for different people. My personal sense is that if the basics (duct tape, salicilic acid, etc.) don't work, you should jump to the more aggressive treatments quickly. The last thing you want is for them to spread.

Dayum. Didn't know the (more than questionable) hygiene on that mats in Abu Dhabi would still be causing you drama now. Sorry man, rough luck. And that's not even counting the guy I saw training with a literal hole in their back and cling film/saran wrap on it. @_@

Hope it clears up for good soon.

Peace. >_<

I figured you'd chime on this. Yeah, it was just bad luck on my part, I suppose. Just sucks.

this thread makes me really wonder how many od these home treatments people swear by are really just like placebos lol. could u imagine what the world would be like without verifiable science or if everything media outlets say about medicine became true? shit would be cray

My thoughts exactly. Lots of people are - I think - just have their immune system kick in and take them down, but they happen to be using X or Y treatment at the time. Meanwhile, I have gone through a vast number of treatments and none of them have worked.

I'm thinking of - at this point - going to the candida immunotherapy injections, because it triggers your body's immune system to recognize and attack the virus. At present, it just seems like I'm losing the war.

Back