Plantar Warts (HPV) - Prevention and Treatment (Grapplers)

Had a really bad one dead center in the middle of the sole of my foot. Nothing works, until i got those pads that have the medicated centers. A few days after that it started to turn black, with a mix of that and pummice stone it started coming out in pieces.

So they have to be on the sole of your foot? I've had one a wart on my heel for a long time, but no one has ever said anything to me or contracted a wart in my gym. Should I go get it removed for the sake of my training partners?

I had one in high school. It was one of the more painful afflictions I've had in my life.

They lasered that motherfucker off, I went through the usual rehab.... then it grew right back and I had to have it lasered again. The second time did the trick thankfully.

So they have to be on the sole of your foot? I've had one a wart on my heel for a long time, but no one has ever said anything to me or contracted a wart in my gym. Should I go get it removed for the sake of my training partners?

Yes please - removed. You never know who at your gym will end up catching it and really have a horrible time like some of the posters here. If you wear wrestling shoes you can keep training while you get it treated without worrying about spreading it to others.

I had one. The treatment I got was no listed. Luckily my benefits at work paid for a chiropodist. The treatment they did was they would shave the top layer of dead skin off with a scalpel to expose the wart. Sometimes there would be minute amount of blood. After that he put on silver nitrate. This took about a month or two. It worked quite well and it has not come back. Walking sucked though after the initial day of treatment.

TS, I'm sorry for your hardship, but I really appreciate you sharing your experience and collected information for us. I had no idea this was a risk and should prove to be yet another good reason to make sure mats are cleaned every day.

Had a few on my hands and feet growing up. One on my big toe when I was about 15 the doctor froze off.

I'll say this: you can freeze them off yourself if they're not too big. Get a can of that shit you spray on electronics, that dust off stuff for keyboards, etc. Turn the can upside down and spray it on a cuetip, the touch the cuetip to whatever you need to freeze. Do it a few times, to get deep. Don't spray directly, as it is haphazard and you'll freeze healthy skin. I got rid of a pretty bad case of molluscum on my daughter this way. If you have to do it on your kid, do it in the middle of the night when they're conked out. It hurts when awake.

TS-- that sucks man. It's good that you're so responsible and conscientious about it. I've know "adults" with STDs that still fucked everything in sight with impunity.

I agree with you on having shoe/show free zones. After living for some years in Japan, westerners seem just plain barbaric in wearing that same shoes ini front of a public urinal, taking the trash out to a dumpster, and right there are the foot of the bed. Just gross and really ignorant, I think. We don't weear shoes in my house, and my mom still rolls her eyes, as if it's just meant to be an inconvenience to her, and that somehow her shoes are clean. My kids run around and play on the floor. I don't want someone walking from a shit filled dog park to my living room rug then rolling their eyes when I ask them to take their shoes off at the door.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that people have lower rates of plantar warts in Japan. We have a lot more cold sores in the states then in most places, too.

I've been made very aware of this stuff. Some of my buddies call it the "bjj std". When I'm done training I always disinfect my body and gear. I heard that you shouldn't bathe at least 6 hours before training because your body's funk acts like a barrier against bacteria and other nastiness at mats. I always bathe before training. Any truth to this? I just can't be the funky guy at the academy.

I've been made very aware of this stuff. Some of my buddies call it the "bjj std". When I'm done training I always disinfect my body and gear. I heard that you shouldn't bathe at least 6 hours before training because your body's funk acts like a barrier against bacteria and other nastiness at mats. I always bathe before training. Any truth to this? I just can't be the funky guy at the academy.

Staph is already bad enough in Hawaii as it is. I knew lots of people who got staph infections from swimming, which was actually a shocker.

Not sure about "funk" acting as a barrier. Sounds like something "funky guy" would say. Who knows, though.

Staph is already bad enough in Hawaii as it is. I knew lots of people who got staph infections from swimming, which was actually a shocker.

Not sure about "funk" acting as a barrier. Sounds like something "funky guy" would say. Who knows, though.

I think this is true, actually. You do have good bacteria naturally on your skin that can fight off other bacteria - and by bathing before the gym you can kill these as well, increasing your chances of contracting an illness.

I'm not advocating being a dirty training partner, just don't shower directly before you train.

great post.

i am still appalled at some people at my gym that just walks around barefoot on/off the mats in the bathroom/showers like it ain't no thing. gross.

great post.

i am still appalled at some people at my gym that just walks around barefoot on/off the mats in the bathroom/showers like it ain't no thing. gross.

Whilst this shouldn't happen, I suspect most of the infections like plantar warts are brought in already on their feet rather than off a dirty floor.

Showers are a very common place to pick these things up - wet floors spread them very easily.

When I had them I had the best luck doing my own treatments. I spent months with the over the counter stuff, using duct tape, and going to the derm where they would do cryo-treatment and then scrape it.

It got the point where I just did it myself. I felt like the dermatologist wasn't doing it deep enough or cold enough and going in for weekly appointments for months was getting expensive and time consuming.

So here is what I did that took care of it in a few weeks. For the cold part I would use computer dust cleaner. Turning the aerosol can upside down when spraying would shoot out the liquid. That is why all the cans of have frost bite warnings on them. I would heavily spray the spots on my foot causing it to change colors, numb, etc. After that I would do my own shaving down with some new xacto blades. It would bleed a good amount more than at the dermatologist and be sore the next day or so, but after a few weeks they were all completely gone.

I'm not saying this was the right way, but I was tired of dealing with them and decided to try to take care of it myself. It was also much much much much cheaper than paying for a 30 dollar derm visit every week.

Had one of these in college. It was pretty annoying. Salicylic acid did nothing. I eventually dug it out with a swiss army knife and a pair of tweezers. Just ripped it right out. Got sick of it. Fortunately this cheap surgical fix worked.

tumblr_mfrm5ihdi71r06q46o1_500.jpg

Totally worth it.

Keep in mind a lot of these home remedies "worked" because the body eventually develops an immunity. Had one in high school. The doctor shaved off all the layers with a scalpel and then put acid on the open wound. Hurt like hell at the time but was an instant cure.

Diablo Ryu

This is most troubling. We like to stay on top of it. Please resend email to [email protected] with your preference of bar or shower gel and t-shirt size along with your name and address. I will personally make sure we don't drop the ball again.

Guy
Defense Soap

I think this is true, actually. You do have good bacteria naturally on your skin that can fight off other bacteria - and by bathing before the gym you can kill these as well, increasing your chances of contracting an illness.

I'm not advocating being a dirty training partner, just don't shower directly before you train.

When he said it it did make that kind of sense to me. But I couldn't help it but to think like mattemate.

Back