Phil Davis Wrestling....

Yes.

Davis and Gus are the real threats to Jones, and everyone inside the sport knows this.

They train together, spar together, and Davis has the best record of any top 10 guy.

Both prime athletes who dont like to lose. Gus lost to Davis in a far more convincing fashion than he did to Jones, and both these guys need to be taken as 2 and 3 in the division, in any order you choose.

Lol @ Davis being a threat to Jones. He has the wrestling but he does not have the striking to make this fight interesting.

The reason Alex found success was because he has great standup and awesome TDD. I'll admit I thought Jones would be able to take him down whenever he wanted but he couldn't. Alex really impressed me and I can't wait till these two meet again.

Yes.

Davis and Gus are the real threats to Jones, and everyone inside the sport knows this.

They train together, spar together, and Davis has the best record of any top 10 guy.

Both prime athletes who dont like to lose. Gus lost to Davis in a far more convincing fashion than he did to Jones, and both these guys need to be taken as 2 and 3 in the division, in any order you choose.

This is why I thought Rashad would have something for Jones as SRE was giving it too Phil and if he could do that to him all he'd have to do is get inside on JBJ.

Anyway the question about Phil becomes can he stand and trade with Jones long enough to grapple. Alex definitely improved in the wrestling department and his work with Phil translated very well into the cage. Now can Phil's striking catch up to Alexander's?

Team Alliance has done a lot for Alex, but you need to remember that the Alex that fought Davis was only training part time and he focused more on other aspects than wrestling.

My opinion about Alex and Davis against Jones remains the same after this fight as it was before; Alex is the tougher fight for Jones.

Davis is the man to beat Jones..

Davis is a far better wrestler than Jones, and obviously the work Gus put in with him showed.

You guys are going overboard,Guff is not going to stuff every takedown from Jones again,I do have faith in him stuff alot Jones takedowns again but almost all of them again I can't see that happen,I want wrestling dedicated camp Jones with wrestling gameplan versus Guff and see how that goes

Not only that, but Davis gameplan against Machida wasnt THAT different to Gus gameplan last night.

Davis is villafied for winning a close decision, and Gus is lionised for losing one.

Lot of norwegians on sherdog, and stormfront is curiously empty...

It seemed like Davis's gameplan was to outstrike and takedown machida every round, while gus was strickly standup.

This is why I thought Rashad would have something for Jones as SRE was giving it too Phil and if he could do that to him all he'd have to do is get inside on JBJ.

Anyway the question about Phil becomes can he stand and trade with Jones long enough to grapple. Alex definitely improved in the wrestling department and his work with Phil translated very well into the cage. Now can Phil's striking catch up to Alexander's?

I don't think Davis striking is improving that much over the past time since the Evans fight at least. And if people are still bringing up the Maulers loss to Davis years ago we should also point out that Davis barely won against Lil Nog and Machida. Which isn't a bad thing in and of itself but when your talking about whether or not he'd beat Jones then i think you have to take that in consideration and come to the conclusion that Davis cannot beat Jones. And no his striking isn't at the MAuler's level.

This finally proved just how good Davis is. In a fight I'd still think Davis would hold the edge in wrestling in a hypothetical match because he has so much more experience and he was the one who coached Gus. Davis's striking has improved a bit also due to Gus's help so it's a two way street it didn't look to bad against Machida. I'm not sure Davis would beat Jones but like Gus he'd have well more than a punchers chance.

After watching the Gustafson fight I must say I am extremely impressed with how good Phil Davis and his trainers were able to get his wrestling takedown defense up. Gusta basically forced a stand up war. Its crazy to me how much someone can improve in such a short period of time.

That being said, great war, hard for me to say who wins, i'd call it a draw, but Jones is still champion today. Congrats to both men.

If Gusta was able to take Jones down, Could Phil take him down and keep him down? (That would be Phil's only chance imo)

His TDD was Always good. Phil Davis was hanging on to his legs for 4 minutes of their fight and couldnt get him down.

LOL @ claiming bias/nuthuggery due to a crowd of CANADIANS in CANADA not chanting "USA! USA! USA!"

I think the collective IQ on this board just dropped a few more points.

Rashad is ahead of Davis in terms of rankings. He already beat Davis, out wrestled him, won every round, and that was recently.

Only thats not true.

Facepalm.

He lost to lyoto and nog. Davis beat them.

http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/light-heavyweight-185-205-lbs/

http://www.ufc.com/rankings

Rashed got a good win out of a better gameplan. Go back and re watch the fight, and then tell me he was shooting takedowns.

Do you want to tell Pettis to give his belt back, because Guida decisioned him too.

Why even say something if its just blatantly incorrect like that.

I am hoping that Mousasi gives Phil Davis a call. He would Mous wonders, and since Mousasi has stated he is going down to 185, there would not really be a conflict of interest(even though Phil is in the same division as Gus).

Back