Phil Davis Wrestling....

Sylentword

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
After watching the Gustafson fight I must say I am extremely impressed with how good Phil Davis and his trainers were able to get his wrestling takedown defense up. Gusta basically forced a stand up war. Its crazy to me how much someone can improve in such a short period of time.

That being said, great war, hard for me to say who wins, i'd call it a draw, but Jones is still champion today. Congrats to both men.

If Gusta was able to take Jones down, Could Phil take him down and keep him down? (That would be Phil's only chance imo)

After watching the Gustafson fight I must say I am extremely impressed with how good Phil Davis and his trainers were able to get his wrestling takedown defense up. Gusta basically forced a stand up war. Its crazy to me how much someone can improve in such a short period of time.

That being said, great war, hard for me to say who wins, i'd call it a draw, but Jones is still champion today. Congrats to both men.

If Gusta was able to take Jones down, Could Phil take him down and keep him down? (That would be Phil's only chance imo)

Yes.

Davis and Gus are the real threats to Jones, and everyone inside the sport knows this.

They train together, spar together, and Davis has the best record of any top 10 guy.

Both prime athletes who dont like to lose. Gus lost to Davis in a far more convincing fashion than he did to Jones, and both these guys need to be taken as 2 and 3 in the division, in any order you choose.

Agreed. Davis is the unsung hero in Gus's success tonight.

Agreed. Davis is the unsung hero in Gus's success tonight.

Not only that, but Davis gameplan against Machida wasnt THAT different to Gus gameplan last night.

Davis is villafied for winning a close decision, and Gus is lionised for losing one.

Lot of norwegians on sherdog, and stormfront is curiously empty...

To be honest, even before this, I was a little intrigued by the matchup of Davis vs. Jones and I still am. Don't know if he'd win, but I'd like to see what it looks like.

Phil Davis was the biggest winner of last night's fight

Not only that, but Davis gameplan against Machida wasnt THAT different to Gus gameplan last night.

Davis is villafied for winning a close decision, and Gus is lionised for losing one.

Lot of norwegians on sherdog, and stormfront is curiously empty

lol

I think the rematch is going to make a lot of people not want to see Davis vs Jones again.

Expect Jones to finish Gus next time. Also, somebody have Jon do some bloodwork to see what his calcium level is at.

To be honest, even before this, I was a little intrigued by the matchup of Davis vs. Jones and I still am. Don't know if he'd win, but I'd like to see what it looks like.

I think Last night showed it would be closer than most people originally think it would have been

Gustafsson showed in the Davis fight that he has great natural takedown defense. Davis did not take him down at all despite trying constantly. The fact Alex has worked on it for years now could only make his defense even greater.

Davis and Gus are the real threats to Jones, and everyone inside the sport knows this.

They train together, spar together, and Davis has the best record of any top 10 guy.

Both prime athletes who dont like to lose. Gus lost to Davis in a far more convincing fashion than he did to Jones, and both these guys need to be taken as 2 and 3 in the division, in any order you choose.

This is pure Phil Davis nuthuggery. Davis never actually took down Gustafsson in their fight. Gustafsson was a novice to grappling and was warding off Davis' takedown attempts. Davis only won because of an ill-advised takedown attempt by Gustafsson. If Jones wanted to cure insomnia and fight like Davis does, he would have certainly been able to do better than Davis against a much improved Gustaffson.

People need to separate Phil Davis the person from Phil Davis the fighter. He may be extremely likeable, but he's a boring fighter. He'd have absolutely no chance against Jon Jones.

Davis would get murked, his striking is average at best and he doesn't have the size, reach, chin and confidence in his striking to deal with Jon on the feet

Gustafsson has also trained extensively with top swedish greco-roman wrestlers.

I think Phil is much more of a threat to Jones as a coach to Gus than as an actual opponent.

Gustafsson showed in the Davis fight that he has great natural takedown defense. Davis did not take him down at all despite trying constantly. The fact Alex has worked on it for years now could only make his defense even greater.

This is pure Phil Davis nuthuggery. Davis never actually took down Gustafsson in their fight. Gustafsson was a novice to grappling and was warding off Davis' takedown attempts. Davis only won because of an ill-advised takedown attempt by Gustafsson. If Jones wanted to cure insomnia and fight like Davis does, he would have certainly been able to do better than Davis against a much improved Gustaffson.

Davis was a novice too.

GTFO of here with nuthuggery.

This sport is blessed with some of the stupidest fans in history.

Davis and Gus are both prime athletes, whose games have helped each other. Jones would probably have been ruined by Davis on the ground and Gus always has a good chance with him on the feet.

We all know why you love gus more than davis, and running away in a fight has nothing to do with it.

Davis is boring? yeh, thats why he invented a submission just for the fuck off it.

Davis would get murked, his striking is average at best and he doesn't have the size, reach, chin and confidence in his striking to deal with Jon on the feet

He just beat Lyoto Machida. Tell me more about how your boy was robbed...

Davis will fight Jones after Glover just based on last night

Davis was a novice too.

Davis and Gus are both prime athletes, whose games have helped each other. Jones would probably have been ruined by Davis on the ground and Gus always has a good chance with him on the feet.

We all know why you love gus more than davis, and running away in a fight has nothing to do with it.

Davis is boring? yeh, thats why he invented a submission just for the fuck off it.

You couldnt have said it any better. This guys are delusional

davis himself would never do so good vs jones cuz all he has is wrestling but gus....

Davis was a novice too.

Stop lying to yourself, your av and sig tell us all you are a Phil Davis nuthugger along with your posts. He may have been a novice in MMA, but he sure as hell wasn't a novice in wrestling. And Gus completely nullified his wrestling game, even momentarily taking him down. Even in defeat, I knew after that fight that Gus would be Jones' toughest challenger, just based on the natural takedown defense he displayed to go along with his size/length (which plays a part in the TDD) and unorthodox, devastating strikes.

Davis is not blessed with the height of Gus or Jones, nor the striking ability of either. Thus, I don't think he will be nearly as competitve with Jones as Gus was. I do like the guy though, and hopefully he does get his shot after Glover. I've been wanting to see Jones and Davis matched up since they first entered the UFC, and 5 rounds for the belt is even better.

Back