Phil Davis Wrestling....

Stop lying to yourself, your av and sig tell us all you are a Phil Davis nuthugger along with your posts. He may have been a novice in MMA, but he sure as hell wasn't a novice in wrestling. And Gus completely nullified his wrestling game, even momentarily taking him down. Even in defeat, I knew after that fight that Gus would be Jones' toughest challenger, just based on the natural takedown defense he displayed to go along with his size/length (which plays a part in the TDD) and unorthodox, devastating strikes.

Davis is not blessed with the height of Gus or Jones, nor the striking ability of either. Thus, I don't think he will be nearly as competitve with Jones as Gus was. I do like the guy though, and hopefully he does get his shot after Glover, I've been wanting to see Jones and Davis matched up since they first entered the UFC. 5 rounds for the belt is even better.

I rate the dude because he is good.

If fighters were judged on records and not the crap coming out of your mouth, Davis would already have his title shot.

He is fight matrix #2 in the world, after wins against Lyoto, Nog, Gus who are all top 10.

Jones last three title fights are two middleweights and a guy davis beat, so kindly gtfo about nutthugging.

You are an intelligent and articulate man who is having a brain fart.

I guess the real question is if Davis can submit Jones. It's obvious he won't out strike him.

I guess the real question is if Davis can submit Jones. It's obvious he won't out strike him.

If Davis takes Jones down, he aint getting back up in that round. And possibly in that fight.

As for the striking battle, he will probably stay on the outside just like Gus did for the most part, but the difference is, Jones wont want to be throwing kicks for fun against a guy like Phil.

Gentlemen, this media bullshit making rankings has to stop.

These are the same idiots writing stories about Jones fighting a Klitschko.

Judge fighters on their records. Thats all im saying.

Of the current top 10, Davis has beaten 3.

Glover has beaten 0.

Not only that, but Davis gameplan against Machida wasnt THAT different to Gus gameplan last night.

Davis is villafied for winning a close decision, and Gus is lionised for losing one.

Lot of norwegians on sherdog, and stormfront is curiously empty...

Huh? What does Norwegians have to do with anything?

This fight was absolutely awesome, Davis Machida wasn't.

Agreed. Davis is the unsung hero in Gus's success tonight.

Agree as well! We havent seen as much of Davis improved striking though, hopefully Gus will be able to pass more of his skills to Davis as well.

Gus and Davis really are two awesome fighters and persons. Gus said in an interview that they would fight each other if it was for the title, just so much respect for those two.

Huh? What does Norwegians have to do with anything?

This fight was absolutely awesome, Davis Machida wasn't.

If you had been here for other america v europe nights, you would find the lack of USA USA USA quite weird.

All of a sudden everyone was cheering the euro fighter who was running away.

In the days of chuck, randy, hendo v foreigner, it was slightly different.

MMA really has evolved like that. :icon_lol:

If you had been here for other america v europe nights, you would find the lack of USA USA USA quite weird.

All of a sudden everyone was cheering the euro fighter who was running away.

In the days of chuck, randy, hendo v foreigner, it was slightly different.

MMA really has evolved like that. :icon_lol:
Racists do exist, and I'm sure that white guys are somehow more often get descriptions like "all-american" and stuff like that, but assuming that that's the only reason to dislike Machida-Davis is inane.

Also, you didn't answer the question. What the does Norwegans have to do with this?

Racists do exist, and I'm sure that white guys are somehow more often get descriptions like "all-american" and stuff like that, but assuming that that's the only reason to dislike Machida-Davis is inane.

Also, you didn't answer the question. What the does Norwegans have to do with this?

The are hugging up to Sweden, like half of sherdog was last night.

images

images

Davis wrestling > Jones Wrestling
It's proven in UFC 165
His Student take him down.

Davis wrestling > Jones Wrestling
It's proven in UFC 165
His Student take him down.

Again, Gustafsson does extensive training with swedish greco-roman wrestlers as well, it's not all Phil Davis.

Lol. Was that really a set up for that pun? If so, well played.

Again, Gustafsson does extensive training with swedish greco-roman wrestlers as well, it's not all Phil Davis.

Getting back on topic, there was a moment when Jones went for a takedown and Gus just went - NO.

That was when you knew it was on top for him.

Then Gus took him down and violated Jones impossible to takedown theory.

Thats when we knew we were in for a great fight.

Getting back on topic, there was a moment when Jones went for a takedown and Gus just went - NO.

That was when you knew it was on top for him.

Then Gus took him down and violated Jones impossible to takedown theory.

Thats when we knew we were in for a great fight.
Yeah, most definitely. I can't remember the last time I was this excited during a fight. Awesome job by both fighters.

Yes, Davis has helped. Gus has always had really good TDD though - he defended like 5 or 6 attempts from Davis.

Yes.

Davis and Gus are the real threats to Jones, and everyone inside the sport knows this.

They train together, spar together, and Davis has the best record of any top 10 guy.

Both prime athletes who dont like to lose. Gus lost to Davis in a far more convincing fashion than he did to Jones, and both these guys need to be taken as 2 and 3 in the division, in any order you choose.

Rashad is ahead of Davis in terms of rankings. He already beat Davis, out wrestled him, won every round, and that was recently.

Davis would have almost 0 chance to take Jones down.
Gus did it because:
-he has great standup to threaten with, Jones wasn't concerned about having to defend takedowns...
-Jones was off balance

Needs a fight or two but his striking is coming along. No doubt he can hang with Jones.

Back