Phil Davis: I am the best grappler the UFC has ever seen at LHW

How about struggling to get Lil Nog down and then holding his ankles to avoid his guard for a few rounds? A true exhibition of grappling mastery.

Eh.

I give it to Jones or Cormier. When Cormier gets on top, you're not getting up. He is position heavy as they come and he GNPs in a Cain-esque way (for the record, I factor in how well a fighter's GNP aids their grappling i.e. Cain's GNP makes him one hell of an MMA grappler).

Jones, same thing. He doesn't hold position as well as Cormier or Davis, but his constant thread of huge GNP, aggression, and ability to get into positions of offense make him dangerous. Jones GNP certainly opens up a lot of submission attempts.

i would throw Weidman up there. i think he has never been taken down and has sick top control and subs

i would throw Weidman up there. i think he has never been taken down and has sick top control and subs

I was just talking about the LHW division.

If we talk about all of MMA, yeah. Weidman is definitely amongst the most elite grapplers in the game.

I disagree that he's the best. I think he's far from it. But the Rashad fight is misleading. Rashad applied good pressure early on in the standing exchanges and by the time the wrestling really came into play Davis was already very gassed. You can't knock the guy for being confident though. Even if it is misplaced. In a straight grappling match I think Davis crushes Rashad but Roger destroys them both. Also was Jacare at 205 for a while? It might not have been on the UFC though.

They barely had a meaningful striking exchange until about 3 rounds into the fight. It was an absolutely terrible fight. Rashad exerted barely any pressure on him. Both fighters are terrible at taking the lead.

Then why did he absolutely avoid any grappling against vinny? He ditched his lnp style cause he knew he wasn't the better grappler, he was scared to try to dry hump vinny like everyone else cause he knew vinny was in another league

or he knew he had better striking, which he did.

Wow. I get the promotional, and motivational aspect of it, but if he goes into a JJ fight believing that than he is going to get the blood beaten out of him.

200.gif

Tim Kennedy did not outgrapple Roger. That's ridiculous. Kennedy neutralized the grappling exchanges, and that's what won him the fight. It was a terrible fight.

Anyway, Phil is delusional. Vanilla fighters like Phil have to hype themselves up anyway they can because nobody cares.

He had rogers back....

Wow. I get the promotional, and motivational aspect of it, but if he goes into a JJ fight believing that than he is going to get the blood beaten out of him.

That would be Davis' only way to win, try to grapplefuck Jones. Well, luckily Cormier could punch, Davis, not so much. I would seriously laugh at a Jones vs. Davis fight.

Him and Gustafson is the worst bromance in MMA. They're like a bunch of high-school chicks with all the talk.

Such a great grappler yet he couldn't do shit to Machida or Rashad in the grappling.

Weidman is a better grappler than Davis.. just sayin..

Jones > Davis in the grappling as well.

I feel like Phil is watching Conor talk his way into big fights and money and is trying it out

Problem is Phil has already been exposed so he sounds delusional instead of confident

He's young still and if he'd only move to a new camp that is more focused on striking and less on wrestling, he has a chance to reinvent himself. He has a good chin and good ground game and a wrestling background. Like Clamburglar said, his weak striking also hurts his takedowns and therefore weakens his grappling. Imagine him training his striking with Gus's Swedish team or Blackhouse. He'd be a force.

Davis seems like a decent guy and he's obviously a very good grappler but I have no interest in ever watching him fight.

Back