Phil Collins - Discuss

The Prince of Pop. Collins knows how to write a song with a good hook all the while having intelligent lyrics for the most part. He was also a heck of a drummer.

Even if you don't appreciate pop music, you should at least respect his ability as a master songwriter.

This is my shit right here

Reminds me of a Karl Pilkington who can't sing.

I'm not Phil Collins, but what did you want to discuss?

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

GOAT drummer, great songwriter, great singer, and great performer.

Some samples of his greatness as singer, songwriter, and drummer (featuring the material of his that is often overshadowed by the mega hits everyone's already heard):

Underrated Genesis songs:

Robbery, Assault, and Battery from their 1976 album A Trick of the Tail (written by Phil and Tony Banks):

[YT]1SBkppkWYFc[/YT]
Blood on the Rooftops from their 1976 album Wind & Wuthering (written by Phil and Steve Hackett):

[YT]EeZRdd_1b4g[/YT]
Scene's from a Night's Dream from their 1978 album ...And Then There Were Three (written by Phil and Tony Banks):

[YT]nlvfnJzSJ0o[/YT]
Man on the Corner from their 1981 album Abacab (written by Phil):

[YT]utrGabGh4bU[/YT]
Driving the Last Spike from their 1991 album We Can't Dance (written by Phil):

[YT]9V3i7-E8dDc[/YT]
Underrated solo songs:

Do You Know, Do You Care? from his 1982 album Hello, I Must Be Going:

[YT]J5-qRum7lgU[/YT]
Thru These Walls from Hello, I Must Be Going:

[YT]BhFHFIh3M18[/YT]
Doesn't Anybody Stay Together Anymore? from his 1985 album No Jacket Required:

[YT]YbscDQUPw7w[/YT]
I Wish it Would Rain Down from his 1989 album ...But Seriously (with Eric Clapton on guitar):

[YT]UN6Sw3Rh6ug[/YT]
Testify from his 2002 album of the same name:

[YT]RP46FVsQc4Y[/YT]
Been thinking about getting some kind of Genesis compilation, any recommendations?

As an enormous Genesis fan, I want to just tell you to buy the entire discography. Plus, in this day and age, you can hear everything on Youtube. However, if you want to go the compilation route, get this one.

He's not bad. Got way overexposed in the late 80s to the point where everyone started hating him, I don't really care for his voice, but a good songwriter. Much better musician than people commonly give him credit for.

As an enormous Genesis fan, I want to just tell you to buy the entire discography. Plus, in this day and age, you can hear everything on Youtube. However, if you want to go the compilation route, get this one.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Phil Collins dont take any shit. Whether he is managing a motel, driving a cab, hustling burgers ,protecting his son or grabbing some peanut butter and jam sammiches.

the world lost a great man when he passed.

172ccf1a670a90e115523d981c14631d.jpg

Rain down on me is one of the best songs ever made and motherfucking Clapton is on it. Phil has so many good songs Ive lost count so piss on the haters they dont know what real music is. Genesis got rid of the weirdo singer they had and got Phil and did better with him.

Rain down on me is one of the best songs ever made and motherfucking Clapton is on it. Phil has so many good songs Ive lost count so piss on the haters they dont know what real music is. Genesis got rid of the weirdo singer they had and got Phil and did better with him.

The definitely had a much different sound after he left, but Peter Gabriel is great on his own.

bad mutha. started off extremely artistic then decided to get paid. cant blame him, had he not, no one outside of genesis fans would even talk about him.

take me home, goes hard as hell. love that song. There's a whole list of 80s artists that I'm pretty sure were hated for their looks or hair, certainly not talent (Collins, Michael Bolton, Richard marx, etc..)

Genesis was one of the great early progressive rock bands, so in that sense, Collins is legendary.

Not personally a fan of any of his pop music though, granted some of the earlier work was catchy.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

Bravo

I can't even hear or see Phils name now without thinking of that scene lol

A perfect 1st response for this thread

Thread was started at 11:40 and this ^ was posted at 11:41... its like you were just writing some epic post about Phil Collins and the correct thread was started just for you.

Thread was started at 11:40 and this ^ was posted at 11:41... its like you were just writing some epic post about Phil Collins and the correct thread was started just for you.

That, or TS is a faust gimmick

came in 4 american psycho reference. did not leave disappointed

Back