Phil Collins - Discuss

Bravo

I can't even hear or see Phils name now without thinking of that scene lol

A perfect 1st response for this thread

I can't hear Sussudio without thinking of Bale banging prostitutes but thats just me lol.

Great movie. My favorite scene though is when he's talking about Huey Lewis and the News.

TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD!

As for Phil Collins though- great talent in my opinion. Genesis and Collins as a solo pop artist had a bunch of songs that I thoroughly enjoy.

Phil Collins dont take any shit. Whether he is managing a motel, driving a cab, hustling burgers ,protecting his son or grabbing some peanut butter and jam sammiches.

the world lost a great man when he passed.

Damn. You beat me to it lol

Phil Collins is my favorite artist of all time. But I like his big hit stuff the least (except for the Tarzan soundtrack that was awesome). His voice is one of the most unique things you'll ever hear. And to think he started out as a drummer that just tried to sing one day. That's rare talent that he didn't even know he had.

And Genesis was fucking brilliant, fearless and groundbreaking. They were generations ahead of their time. Their "b-track" stuff is still great today.

Thread was started at 11:40 and this ^ was posted at 11:41... its like you were just writing some epic post about Phil Collins and the correct thread was started just for you.

think he just copied and pasted speech from American Psycho, bro

I can not stand "in the air tonight"

Makes me want to stab forks in my ears

Collins sounds like a bad ass at the end of In the Air Tonight when he starts belting it out. Wish the song didn't fade out at that point.

I can not stand "in the air tonight"

Makes me want to stab forks in my ears

This this this

I even knew as a 4 year old that the song wasn't actually about anything (look it up) because the emotion was poured on way too thickly, vocals oversold and not genuine. Didn't pass the smell test by a mile. Strongly annoyed at 4. I can't tell you how relieved I was when the 90's rolled around and put an end to that pseudo emotional crap, I thought it might never happen

I don't care for his music, but he's a radio star that made it big in the age of video. Respect.

His career can be summed up in a 5 second drum fill.

he's cheesy. genesis was better when peter gabriel was on board.

I even knew as a 4 year old that the song wasn't actually about anything (look it up) because the emotion was poured on way too thickly, vocals oversold and not genuine. Didn't pass the smell test by a mile.

Umm, it was strongly inspired by the rage he had towards his ex-wife shortly after their divorce.

I just heard an old interview with him discussing it a couple weeks ago.

Anyway, he's all over the map.

Great prog rock
stuff too inaccessible to get into
fun, lightweight pop
cloying, annoying crap

I've heard many times he's a horrible person
I've heard many times he's so genuine and great

He was so hideously overplayed from around 84-93, though, that I'm going to need another 10-20 years yet before I'm ready to listen to him very much.

That, or TS is a faust gimmick

tinfoil_hat.jpg

Genesis was awesome, but I refuse to acknowledge his solo career. The lamb lies down on Broadway is one of my all time favorite records. A true master piece. Wind & Wuthering was pretty sweet as well.

[YT]xA_uWtbXnh8[/YT]

Umm, it was strongly inspired by the rage he had towards his ex-wife shortly after their divorce.

I just heard an old interview with him discussing it a couple weeks ago.

Some of that probably went into making it (drove him), I wouldn't doubt that.

There were several theories as to what it was about and he dismissed them at one time because it wasn't about anything per se. Now he's probably being truthful in admitting that that was part of the song, but I don't think that's what it was "about."

Either way, the song doesn't strike me as emotionally honest.

Back