• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Phil Baroni arrested for murdering his girlfriend in Mexico (Facing 30-50 yr)

I remember when people were trying to blame Aaron Hernandez's wannabe gangsta lifestyle that finally ended up with him killing a dude, on CTE. The Benoit stuff is bullshit too. I'd be willing to give CTE theories credibility in some random acts of violence, but it doesn't turn one into a cold and calculated murderer.

I'd be willing to bet that alcohol and drugs played a big part in all three of these situations, more than any CTE theory.

Im incline to agree at the very most CTE is likely the icing on the cake ...but theres very clearly other issues at play in each case thats far more likely to create the situations at play then CTE alone ...

CTE effects decision-making and anger... so you could still plan out a murder and feel justified.

Things are not so simple... a lesson Sherdoggers will never learn.

X is "scared" of Y because they aren't fighting!!!! No possible other reasons exsist!

You are actually mistaken. Aaron Hernandez had one of the worst cases of CTE ever found; his brain was wrecked. They did a brain autopsy after he died.
You misunderstand. I'm not saying he didn't have it. I'm saying it didn't make him continue his wannabe gangster lifestyle, and murder somebody.

I'm not denying that CTE existed among these individuals. I'm denying that it had anything to do with these guys' crimes.

I remember when people were trying to blame Aaron Hernandez's wannabe gangsta lifestyle that finally ended up with him killing a dude, on CTE. The Benoit stuff is bullshit too. I'd be willing to give CTE theories credibility in some random acts of violence, but it doesn't turn one into a cold and calculated murderer.

I'd be willing to bet that alcohol and drugs played a big part in all three of these situations, more than any CTE theory.
It wasnt wannabe…

It wasnt wannabe…
I get what you're saying, but he was just some guy trying to "live that life", despite having millions of dollars. He wasn't a Crip or a Blood, or whatever. He had no allegiance to any actual organized crime gang. He was basically akin to a guy who watched too many rap videos.

It's cute when Mexico pretends to care about law and order and allowing people to get away with murder.

Oh well, he'll be still cage fighting. Wonder if we can stream it?

You misunderstand. I'm not saying he didn't have it. I'm saying it didn't make him continue his wannabe gangster lifestyle, and murder somebody.

I'm not denying that CTE existed among these individuals. I'm denying that it had anything to do with these guys' crimes.
But the point is- that is an assumption one can't really make. There is a broader symptomology.

The evidence points to his behavior being driven by CTE, as his CTE was as severe as others who had similar violent incidents (objective fact). Cognitive disorders have a range of indicators- anger issues, impulse control problems, suicidal ideation, poor emotional regulation, confusion, lapses in judgement, etc.

Real life is actually different than the movies; it's far less simplistic. CTE does not just make you mad with rage like a rabid dog; that isn't the only sign/symptom.

But the point is- that is an assumption one can't really make. There is a broader symptomology.

The evidence points to his behavior being driven by CTE
It doesn't though. His behavior was right in line with his lifestyle. He didn't just randomly snap and shoot somebody. There was a method to his madness, and it was very calculated. You're telling me that CTE goes that deep, that it caused him to hang out with shady people, and set up a murder against someone? Yeah, sorry, but no. He was a fucking dip shit meathead, who was perhaps easily manipulated into living and maintaining that thug life, but he was that way for as long as anyone can remember.

He was indeed stupid, but it wasn't the CTE that caused it.

Benoit's case is 100% CTE. The only drugs found in his system were the prescription drugs he had been prescribed and only in therapeutic amounts.

The dude had the brain of an 85 year old Alzheimer's patient and he went full blown religious fanatic in the last few weeks

Can't speak to the other cases but I will say Phil Baroni always struck me as someone who could absolutely kill someone in a fit of rage

It doesn't though. His behavior was right in line with his lifestyle. He didn't just randomly snap and shoot somebody. There was a method to his madness, and it was very calculated. You're telling me that CTE goes that deep, that it caused him to hang out with shady people, and set up a murder against someone? Yeah, sorry, but no. He was a fucking dip shit meathead, who was perhaps easily manipulated into living and maintaining that thug life, but he was that way for as long as anyone can remember.

He was indeed stupid, but it wasn't the CTE that caused it.
Again, you are WAY oversimplifying the situation, and talking about his behavior as if you were there to see it; you're absolutely sure you know how he interacted with others, and what his motives were (are you his brother?).

Did you read my last post? I gave a good explanation of the broad array of symptoms, and you came back with the exact thing I told you it wasn't- just something where people flew of the handle and snapped. I can't really be any clearer. You should read about CTE research online and cognitive disorder in the DSM 5.

Unless you just don't like him and WANT to believe he wasn't impaired, I mean whatever floats your boat; you sound hell bent.

The evidence points to his behavior being driven by CTE, as his CTE was as severe as others who had similar violent incidents (objective fact). Cognitive disorders have a range of indicators- anger issues, impulse control problems, suicidal ideation, poor emotional regulation, confusion, lapses in judgement, etc.

Real life is actually different than the movies; it's far less simplistic. CTE does not just make you mad with rage like a rabid dog; that isn't the only sign/symptom.

You should follow your own condescending advice that reality is not simplistic.

This deterministic 'his behavior was driven by CTE' claim ignores all the other serious factors involved. Physically abusive criminal parents, sexual abuse and drug addiction being pretty damn big ones. Guy had already gone off the rails when he was still a teenager. These things can't be handwaved with 'it was all CTE, bro.'

It is very common for killers to have childhoods like Hernandez. And most people with CTE do not turn into murderous sociopaths. This doesn't dismiss CTE as a contributing factor but it certainly complicates things.

We know that CTE contributes to the things you mentioned broadly speaking. However, an individual case like Hernandez, we simply can't know how much of a factor it was given the amount of people with similar childhoods and drug issues who have gone down the same path without CTE.

Again, you are WAY oversimplifying the situation, and talking about his behavior as if you were there to see it; you're absolutely sure you know how he interacted with others, and what his motives were (are you his brother?).
His motives were obviously calculated, meaning he likely had a reason.

Did you read my last post? I gave a good explanation of the broad array of symptoms, and you came back with the exact thing I told you it wasn't- just something where people flew of the handle and snapped. I can't really be any clearer. You should read about CTE research online and cognitive disorder in the DSM 5.

Unless you just don't like him and WANT to believe he wasn't impaired, I mean whatever floats your boat; you sound hell bent.
He literally came from a bar. He was likely impaired, dude.

Your argument is that CTE is so powerful that it causes people to live thug lives, hang out with shitty people, and plan out a murder. My argument is that he was already living that life, likely got drunk and all "I don't give a fuck", and decided to truly "live that life".

What makes more sense? C'mon now. Dude was a dime a dozen thug who happened to play in the NFL.

His motives were obviously calculated, meaning he likely had a reason.

He literally came from a bar. He was likely impaired, dude.

Your argument is that CTE is so powerful that it causes people to live thug lives, hang out with shitty people, and plan out a murder. My argument is that he was already living that life, likely got drunk and all "I don't give a fuck", and decided to truly "live that life".

What makes more sense? C'mon now. Dude was a dime a dozen thug who happened to play in the NFL.
What makes the most sense is flying over your head. OF COURSE it makes you into a different person. People spiral down over a period of time. That is true of other cognitive disorders as well. It can do far worse than that. And you mention substance abuse? Did I mention that was a symptom also?

You also are missing the obvious- real physical evidence. What the state of his brain showed was that it WAS necessarily affecting him. You are speculating on situations you have heard about in the media. We don't know the circumstances, but we know the condition of his brain.

Benoit's case is 100% CTE. The only drugs found in his system were the prescription drugs he had been prescribed and only in therapeutic amounts.
I disagree. He was severely depressed and manic after his buddy died, was having marital problems, and likely snapped after an argument, and went on a murder-suicide mission. It happens all the time.

Not everything is some super complex thing. Not saying that CTE wasn't a contributor(who really knows what was going on in his head), but there are thousands and thousands of similar cases, where the guy who maybe had his head knocked around in high school, doesn't get the same excuse, because they weren't a famous athlete, where people just have to have an answer that isn't simple, because they feel like they knew the guy, and he would never ever do something like that.

By most accounts, Chris Benoit was a nice, but VERY fucking weird and distant dude.

What makes the most sense is flying over your head. OF COURSE it makes you into a different person.
My point is that he wasn't a different person, when he did the deed. It was very much in line with the lifestyle he was living.

Back