Pettis: "Khabib is an amateur-level striker and annoying"

Yes of course, but Khabib need his striking to set the td,nothing more. He's smart enought to not stand and trade with Pettis.

Good point, I don't think Dagestan has many high level strikers

They all wrestle and train sambo down there, not a lot of striking except Dzhabar Askerov (in pure striking).

The same thing can be said about Guida. The problem is the constant TD threat combined with an unorthodox striking style. It can easily create problems for elite strikers.

Yes of course, but Khabib need his striking to set the td,nothing more. He's smart enought to not stand and trade with Pettis.

He needs it to threaten as well as provide defense to not get hurt in holes he may leave, which from what I've seen, he does a lot.

And the fact he doesn't have much kicking game to speak of is a detriment to his chances, because at range, where they start out and naturally Pettis will get back to sometimes, Pettis can be offensive while not being defensive. The way Pettis disguises his kicks usually, and how fast he throws them, they're hard to catch. One of those kicks land to the body or head, they can be a gamechanger.

This is not to mention Pettis' submission chances, which anyone would be remiss to argue he doesn't have too after the mistakes made in assuming he wouldn't get Melendez or Bendo that way either. Pettis loves to counter a gnp attempt. He's more dangerous w/ a sub attempt than an opponent is w/ their gnp. He caught Bendo, Roller, and Campbell w/ a sub countering a gnp attempt. Guida could avoid them because Mazzaggatti is typically asleep at the wheel so he didn't require him to stay busy on top, but most other refs would force Khabib to be busy. What if that fight drew Yamasaki? lol

The margin for error for Khabib would be so small in this fight, for Pettis it would be rather substantial. I've heard Kid Nate of MMA Nation state this before, "to beat Pettis it's like pitching a shutout against a dangerous lineup.". A tall task for maybe even the best, most defensive staller in the sport right now.

khabib lost to gleison tibau, he's going to get head kicked into oblivion

For God's sake, that was just a very close fight that possibly could have been scored either way. Khabib did not "lose" to Tibau, that was not what can be called a definitive loss.

For God's sake, that was just a very close fight that possibly could have been scored either way. Khabib did not "lose" to Tibau, that was not what can be called a definitive loss.

MMAJunkie.com 29-28 Nurmagomedov
Jordan Breen
Sherdog.com 28-30 Tibau
Tristen Critchfield
Sherdog.com 27-30 Tibau
Chris Nelson
Sherdog.com 27-30 Tibau
Shaun Al-Shatti
MMAFighting.com 27-30 Tibau
MMAWeekly.com 27-30 Tibau

The Pettis-Guida fight was actually a little closer in the media.

It was a definitive loss because Khabib kept on windmilling his arms just so he could distract Tibau, then held on for dear life. He got shut down on all of his many td attempts, taken down once, and hit harder the few times a strike actually connected either way. He frankly should have lost all 3 rounds like most of the media believed as well.

If the Guida fight is brought up, the Tibau fight sure as hell should be to those same people. The Tibau fight was a year later, not in an octagon debut, and involved Khabib being scary of his opponent. Guida was scary of Pettis.

Last edited:
Will Khabib be avenging his loss to Tibau before the title shot? Haven't heard any news on this yet.

God, that was a bowel movement of a decision.

He needs it to threaten as well as provide defense to not get hurt in holes he may leave, which from what I've seen, he does a lot.

And the fact he doesn't have much kicking game to speak of is a detriment to his chances, because at range, where they start out and naturally Pettis will get back to sometimes, Pettis can be offensive while not being defensive. The way Pettis disguises his kicks usually, and how fast he throws them, they're hard to catch. One of those kicks land to the body or head, they can be a gamechanger.

This is not to mention Pettis' submission chances, which anyone would be remiss to argue he doesn't have too after the mistakes made in assuming he wouldn't get Melendez or Bendo that way either. Pettis loves to counter a gnp attempt. He's more dangerous w/ a sub attempt than an opponent is w/ their gnp. He caught Bendo, Roller, and Campbell w/ a sub countering a gnp attempt. Guida could avoid them because Mazzaggatti is typically asleep at the wheel so he didn't require him to stay busy on top, but most other refs would force Khabib to be busy. What if that fight drew Yamasaki? lol

The margin for error for Khabib would be so small in this fight, for Pettis it would be rather substantial. I've heard Kid Nate of MMA Nation state this before, "to beat Pettis it's like pitching a shutout against a dangerous lineup.". A tall task for maybe even the best, most defensive staller in the sport right now.

I'm agree with you,but in terms of pure striking game, he's not at the Pettis lvl.Both are nightmares matchup. Pettis has a huge striking advantage over Khabib,who at the same time is an amaing wrestler-grappler with very good sub defense. Of course his margin is littler,even more when anyone can see how much has Pettis improve in every fight.IMO the fight would end with Pettis via (T)ko or Khabib UD.

Khabib doesn't need great striking because he can tuck his chin get close and take you down

Somebodys scared homie

but nah... I think Pettis wins by any means he wishes.

I'm agree with you,but in terms of pure striking game, he's not at the Pettis lvl.Both are nightmares matchup. Pettis has a huge striking advantage over Khabib,who at the same time is an amaing wrestler-grappler with very good sub defense. Of course his margin is littler,even more when anyone can see how much has Pettis improve in every fight.IMO the fight would end with Pettis via (T)ko or Khabib UD.

I like that someone can admit a primary striker can be a bad match-up for a primary wrestler, i.e.: Aldo vs. Mendes 1. It only seems popular to make the claim the opposite way before a hypothetical fight. But logically, if they are both nightmare match-ups, that factor kind of cancels out to them being neutral to each other. So it just comes down to who is the better fighter.

A guy I think of as an actual bad match-up for Pettis stylistically, is someone who is well-rounded, with power, a vast array of strikes, quick td from distance, and who is control-minded from top. I think that describes someone more like Thomson. I actually think from a match-up standpoint, RDA is tougher for Pettis, although I'm confident he'll win on superiority there.

A tough match-up for Khabib is someone who almost surely will stuff his td's and then out-strike him. Maybe that's a Bendo or Melendez. Maybe Barboza, who has excellent tdd, but if he gets put on his back I don't think he offers up much.

It was pretty straight-forward by him. It's ironic he's accusing people of being scary to fight him when he isn't even an option due to the major knee injury he suffered 5 and a half months ago. It holds as much weight as Diego claiming similar things even after he lost to Melendez. Neither were in the mix for next fight for different reasons.

It was pretty straight-forward by him. It's ironic he's accusing people of being scary to fight him when he isn't even an option due to the major knee injury he suffered 5 and a half months ago. It holds as much weight as Diego claiming similar things even after he lost to Melendez. Neither were in the mix for next fight for different reasons.

I see. It wasnt that clear what you were saying in that original post.

Pettis also gets to train with Askren.

Who can Khabib train with to replicate Pettis?

Yeah Pettis has Askren to train with, but if I was a betting man I'd say Askren probably takes Pettis down at will in sparring.. The flashy kicks he throws could catch up to him against a guy like Khabib.

The whole "he trains with _______ so he's gonna be able to stop that" argument is a pretty bad one.

Pettis also gets to train with Askren.

Who can Khabib train with to replicate Pettis?

2078737-zangief_end_sfa2_3_5976.gif

khabib is a beast of an athlete, though. cant wait for this fight.

Yeah Pettis has Askren to train with, but if I was a betting man I'd say Askren probably takes Pettis down at will in sparring.. The flashy kicks he throws could catch up to him against a guy like Khabib.

The whole "he trains with _______ so he's gonna be able to stop that" argument is a pretty bad one.

From what Pettis claims, and this may just be to promote a teammate who gets overlooked by the casuals, but Askren apparently has a lot of success against Pettis in training. Then again Pettis can't exactly throw full power kicks can he, while Askren can wrestle all he wants. One of the many reasons why training isn't a great indicator of ability. Besides, getting taken down a lot by a bigger and better wrestler helps you, unless you're weak-minded. Iron sharpens iron, as they say. No, you're not who you train with, but it's beneficial having them there, especially if you're a prodigy like Pettis. Pettis has the type of athleticism and mind to improve a lot with training, as we've seen with his jiu-jitsu. He doesn't have a bjj base. He's like GSP.

Back