Pettis: "Khabib is an amateur-level striker and annoying"

Khabib strikes me as one of those guys who is completely one dimensional, but is so damn good at that single dimension, that it doesn't really matter.

No I don't think he can be called one dimension. In addition to his takedowns and sub defense - if his sub defense wasn't up to par Dos Anjos would have caught a limb and ended their fight in a couple minutes - there's the fact that while his striking often looks visually unappealing he has been able to use it effectively to damage opponents and convince judges he's winning the fight. He ain't one dimensional like Palhares.

His striking is sloppy but it works because he rushes in for the takedown.

He's not an amateur level striker. he's a amateur level fighter.

great at hugging people though.

Khabib is a horrible matchup for Pettis, but I'm still going with Showtime by a KO.

khabib lost to gleison tibau, he's going to get head kicked into oblivion

Kabob will be dispatched by Pettis when they meet. Feel free to bump this if I'm wrong.

Its true what Pettis said about Khabib striking.. its very very sloppy and I feel like against Pettis he will get caught out. his wrestling is world class and seems to have good cardio too.. but in 25 minutes fight he is not gonna be on the ground all the time and his striking is too sloppy imo

People who reference the Guida fight like it's that applicable to today are pretty much mentally challenged when it comes to analyzing MMA.

- it being his octagon debut, which is known to produce anomalies
- the use of TUF cage
- reffing of Mazzaggatti, who is known for rarely standing up fights, and worked both of Pettis' "losses"
- Pettis being 24 years old
- it being a 3-round fight

Which of these circumstances will likely close to exist when Pettis and Khabib will meet?

I can't believe we're still talking about it today, but many MMA fans man, they're annoying too. Maybe that's why Khabib appeals to and impresses them as opposed to a dynamo like Pettis.

Man if Khabib was UFC LW champ then the division will be dead, seriously his fights send me to sleep, none of his fights were good to watch in UFC and before he was in UFC, they all look the same and he loves bears and I swear he hugs like bears too, just hugging. I'm not even convinced he beat Gleison Tibau either.

I see you're point but Askren's no Khabib...

you're right. ....askren is a better wrestler

Not a pettis fan by any stretch , but not sold on khabib as a legit threat just because he dry humped rda for 3rds
and not sold on javier mendez getting him prepared(aka produces alotta contenders but few champ)

Josh thomson

That may be who they use, but I've never seen Josh Thomson use the cage to strike or go inverted, at 26, let alone 36. Nor have we seen him submit high level opposition off his back. Fuck opponents up with one body kick? There's no training partner who can near duplicate what Pettis does. He's unique.

But Askren does have the best amateur wrestling credentials in MMA and has beaten everyone he's faced by basically that one dimension like Khabib pretty much tries to do and for the most part has been successful too.

Pettis beat Guida anyways. Guida did nothing but defend subs for 15 minutes.

Back