Media Petr Yan names top 3 smartest fighters in UFC history

Habib The Eagle

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
“You can just say: St-Pierre, Khabib. It was even possible to put Khabib in the first place, since he never lost. In second place is St-Pierre, as he is a very intelligent athlete. He developed in all aspects.

"In third place, perhaps, is Jon Jones. I thought about it at first, I wanted to put it in first or second place. But he had fights where he lost and took a lot of damage,” Yan said at the RCC press conference.

https://ringside24.com/en/49069-yang-names-top-3-smartest-fighters-in-ufc-history

He should include Sterling for taking his title by not actually beating him. That's over 9000 fight IQ
Aljo.gif

He should include Sterling for taking his title by not actually beating him. That's over 9000 fight IQ
Aljo.gif
Sterling’s internal thoughts as he realizes the magnitude of his situation

“wait a second, this isn’t all bad... if I milk this I’ll win by DQ, the belt will change hands, I’ll be the champ and can prolong fighting this monster or straight up duck... okay, pant, blink deliriously, now lazily roll over cause I’m done...and mission accomplished”

<seedat>

“You can just say: St-Pierre, Khabib. It was even possible to put Khabib in the first place, since he never lost. In second place is St-Pierre, as he is a very intelligent athlete. He developed in all aspects.

"In third place, perhaps, is Jon Jones. I thought about it at first, I wanted to put it in first or second place. But he had fights where he lost and took a lot of damage,” Yan said at the RCC press conference.

https://ringside24.com/en/49069-yang-names-top-3-smartest-fighters-in-ufc-history
The fact that he said Khabib didn't lose so he's one of the smartest tells me he don't know shit. Khabib was good at what he did. That doesn't mean he's a smart fighter necessarily (and in my opinion he didn't show it out of necessity.) Fight intelligence for me is something like Rose taking down Weili in the 5th round which is something unexpected and won her the fight. Khabib shooting and taking you down the whole fight doesn't show good fight IQ it shows he's great at implementing his gameplan.

The fact that he said Khabib didn't lose so he's one of the smartest tells me he don't know shit. Khabib was good at what he did. That doesn't mean he's a smart fighter necessarily (and in my opinion he didn't show it out of necessity.) Fight intelligence for me is something like Rose taking down Weili in the 5th round which is something unexpected and won her the fight. Khabib shooting and taking you down the whole fight doesn't show good fight IQ it shows he's great at implementing his gameplan.

So you're saying Khabib is not a smart fighter?

So you're saying Khabib is not a smart fighter?
I'm saying that if you can take someone down whenever you want that doesn't display your fight IQ. It shows you're amazing at grappling. Khabib had great cardio and superior grappling. He was leaps ahead with what he was good at. Deyonte Wilder was KOing fools. If you say he was one of the greatest boxers and highest fight IQ because he was undefeated would be idiotic because he was powerful.

I'm saying that if you can take someone down whenever you want that doesn't display your fight IQ. It shows you're amazing at grappling. Khabib had great cardio and superior grappling. He was leaps ahead with what he was good at. Deyonte Wilder was KOing fools. If you say he was one of the greatest boxers and highest fight IQ because he was undefeated would be idiotic because he was powerful.

Oh ok fair enough.

Back