Media Petr Yan names top 3 smartest fighters in UFC history

I really doubt that Petr Yan is a UFC scholar going back to UFC 1, but he did name 3 fighters whom every UFC fan knows have a very high fight IQ.

I think GSP might have taken more damage than Jones, he have already been finished twice and have suffered knockdowns and have been brusied too in more fights than Jones.

I also think Demetrious Johnson should be up there.

Volkanovski is up there. Started late, developed very good all around game. Knowing how to win rounds that are close is one of his best abilities.
Yeah he's incredibly lucid and knows exactly if he's winning/losing a round and he knows how to do just enought to secure/"steal" rounds.
He's also incredibly adaptable he can do pretty much everything.

The fact that he said Khabib didn't lose so he's one of the smartest tells me he don't know shit. Khabib was good at what he did. That doesn't mean he's a smart fighter necessarily (and in my opinion he didn't show it out of necessity.) Fight intelligence for me is something like Rose taking down Weili in the 5th round which is something unexpected and won her the fight. Khabib shooting and taking you down the whole fight doesn't show good fight IQ it shows he's great at implementing his gameplan.

The fact that Khabib never had to rely on a late 5th round take down to win a fight proves that he is a smart fighter. His style might not look super technical (even though it was) or well thought out since everyone knew what he was going to do, but that’s exactly what made him a smart fighter.

The whole point of fighting is to win by implementing your offense while shutting down your opponents. The fact that Khabib managed to do both better than 99% of other fighters in the sport and figured something out that majority of others couldn’t, proves he is one of the most intelligent.

Last edited:
Oh ok fair enough.
Thats not a fair point at all, those points are just fucking stupid @MMAProfessional

Imagen you knowing my gameplan and still you cant do shit about it because i have millions ways to take you down. Thats a technician at the highest levels.

For instance i bet you Kevin Lee is much more stronger then Khabib but hes fighting IQ and technic aint shit compare to Khabib. Hes more of a brute force kind of guy thats way hes gasses out faster then a guy like Khabib. Imagen having 13 fighs in the UFC and no one have figured you out.

Dustin Poirier

"No. I mean, [Khabib was] more [exceptional than expected]. Yeah, more... Not super-strong. None of these guys I have fought feel crazy strong towards overwhelming. But, it's just that his position and his balance were so good. He knew where my weight was, where he needed to be get in a better position. He's just, so advanced."

"His feet are like hands. Like, his foot sweeps and the way he breaks you down, it's good man. He's good. So good."

@Celeron Good points.

Thats not a fair point at all, those points are just fucking stupid @MMAProfessional

Imagen you knowing my gameplan and still you cant do shit about it because i have millions ways to take you down. Thats a technician at the highest levels.

For instance i bet you Kevin Lee is much more stronger then Khabib but hes fighting IQ and technic aint shit compare to Khabib. Hes more of a brute force kind of guy thats way hes gasses out faster then a guy like Khabib. Imagen having 13 fighs in the UFC and no one have figured you out.

Dustin Poirier

"No. I mean, [Khabib was] more [exceptional than expected]. Yeah, more... Not super-strong. None of these guys I have fought feel crazy strong towards overwhelming. But, it's just that his position and his balance were so good. He knew where my weight was, where he needed to be get in a better position. He's just, so advanced."

"His feet are like hands. Like, his foot sweeps and the way he breaks you down, it's good man. He's good. So good."

@Celeron Good points.

lol yeah I didn't want to get in a debate with the guy. So I just said fair enough. lol

Cruz basically invented his own style.
That doesn’t make him a smart fighter. That makes him a creative fighter outside of the octagon.

That’s like comparing Engineering to Art.

conor should be his #1 - smart enough to use a lack of true work ethic, mediocre stand up, laughable ground skills (considering how long he's been at it and that he quit a good paying job to go on welfare to focus 100% on becoming the best fighter he can be) and packed all that in to the biggest star to come out of the mma scene. Book smart? Nope! Con artist genius- yep.

The fact that Khabib never had to rely on a late 5th round take down to win a fight proves that he is a smart fighter. His style might not look super technical or well thought out since everyone knew what he was going to do, but that’s exactly what made him a smart fighter.

The whole point of fighting is to win by implementing your offense while shutting down your opponents. The fact that Kahbib managed to both better 99% of other fighters in the sport and figuring out something that majority of
others couldn’t proves he is one of the most intelligent,

Unfortunately you cannot talk sense in to MMA turds, they believe myths like Jon has the highest fight IQ ever seen etc... let's just compare Jon's high fight IQ in 1 fight vs Khabib's UFC career visually. Of course you'll hear excuses like Jon was out partying and didn't take the fight seriously, he was bored or he wanted to beat his opponents at what they did best etc... these ppl also believe the dick pill excuse.

KHABIB GOAT FINAL.jpg

He just seems to answer the question "who are the best fighters"

We all know Jones has the highest fight IQ. He beats his opponents at their own game.

I would say Fedor Jones GSP in no particular order

“You can just say: St-Pierre, Khabib. It was even possible to put Khabib in the first place, since he never lost. In second place is St-Pierre, as he is a very intelligent athlete. He developed in all aspects.

"In third place, perhaps, is Jon Jones. I thought about it at first, I wanted to put it in first or second place. But he had fights where he lost and took a lot of damage,” Yan said at the RCC press conference.

https://ringside24.com/en/49069-yang-names-top-3-smartest-fighters-in-ufc-history
Jones Andy, dc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mezgomg
Back