Petr Yan, "I didn't see him sitting on his knee, I thought he crouched down"

It really bothers me that joe and DC made Yan look like the asshole, like he was ignoring the ref

clearly Aljo takes his hands off the ground...
I knew he was going to get kneed right then

bad reffing bad commentating and weak af for aljo to take the belt that way with a bad acting job

he was losing the fight and he knew it

Telling the ref/doctor what they needed to hear to stop the fight just terrible all around
People have said all kinds of stupid sht in relation to this topic, as is par for the course. The one criticism that I think is fair is that people maybe milk the rules a bit too much. Just because your hand is near the ground, doesn't cut it. You need to really keep it there the whole time on the ground, and the aggressor should be able to strike you if you are no longer technically in the right position. There isn't this safety net that exists if you're near the vicinity of the position. When he actually hits Aljo, it's a lot closer than I thought. At the same time, I'm not sure Yan considered any of that really, I think he just hulk striked him.

I didn’t even think what he did was illegal

they have changed the rules on this it’s confusing

They have changed the rules, but as a professional in any sport you're supposed to know the current rules. Sports change rules continuously, adjusting accordingly is part of the job.

He kept his head down and asked his corner to confirm.
Hope he learned the lesson.
BigheartedWastefulCamel-size_restricted.gif
Looking at this GIF makes me feel like the rule needs some tweaking (possible removal?). It just seems silly that Aljo can play this silly game where he can buy time but having his knees touching the mat. Idk, just my opinion.

This fallout is hilarious. Sherdoggers want people DQ’d for grabbing the fence but Yan is perfectly within reason somehow? He was clearly frustrated with sterlings nonsense, and his corner was screaming to PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH. He decided to knee. Even if a third cornerman advised the knee his first and most consistent command was to punch. Anyone supportive of the illegal strike in this case clearly has no interest in MMA, and would probably question why two grounded fighters vying for position would not just fish hook or gouge out the eyes of their opponents instead of rolling around.....because WELL IN A STREET FIGHT......Yan fucked up. Sterling is the very definition of a paper champion. Yan will win back his title and have the distinction of being a TWO TIME champion.

I mean thats what really kills me is the bullshit. I aint about the bullshit. Yan losing his title? ok,yknow,he can beat aljo again and get it back. But to have to buy this guy posing as champion,the fake throwing the belt on the ground? I am sorry,but I cant dig this behavior at all.

Adding to that, having Joe Rogan suck up to his BS when he had the crocodile tears act going on was ridiculous. Then again, it was expected, as Sterling had been on his podcast so they're kind of good pals now.

Reactions: HHJ
He kept his head down and asked his corner to confirm.
Hope he learned the lesson.
BigheartedWastefulCamel-size_restricted.gif

Just imagine ending up in that position in a fight. On your knees covering your head like a bitch.

Imagine trying to explain to a little kid that the guy who was curling up and then got taken out is now the champion

Yan's speech taken from post-fight press conferences.

"Frankly speaking, I didn't even realize what they told me. I was more focused on his hands once he lifted them off the ground. The footage should reveal the way he lifted his hands off the canvas. I didn't see him sitting on his knee, I thought he crouched down.

After Aljamain's fall, it took me a while to realize it was an illegal kick. Again, I saw how his hands weren't touching the canvas".

Since I saw the fight, I'll say this:
He *did* look confused for a good while after it happened.

Irrelevant.

Ignorance does not change anything.
Fighters are expected to know and follow the rules.

This is the stupidest rule of all. You have forced a man to be in a position to get hit with a perfect knee but you can't do it because he has 1 knee on the groud. Ridiculous.
Correct.

But these are the rules the fight was under and everyone agreed to fight under those rules.

Case is closed as far as this fight is concerned.

It would be great if the rules are changed in the future but it is highly unlikely that will happen because the people who make the rules don’t give a shit about the purity of sport, just getting paid and they think that knees/kicks to a downed opponent are “barbaric” while for some reason kicking a guy in the face is perfectly fine if his palm is 1/2cm off the ground.

It really bothers me that joe and DC made Yan look like the asshole, like he was ignoring the ref

bad reffing bad commentating and weak af for aljo to take the belt that way with a bad acting job

Telling the ref/doctor what they needed to hear to stop the fight just terrible all around

This is a pretty stupid comment. Why not solely put the blame on Yan for not being aware of the situation? He is the one that threw the illegal knee.

So you wanted Aljo to continue to fight eventhough he was compromised by an intentional illegal knee?

Why are you not blaming Yan for fucking up or having a brain fart?

Great point, honestly. One knee was already up and as soon as he lifts his other hand the knee comes in.

He screwed up royally and admitted it without making any excuses or blaming his corner.

There's nothing much to discuss really. Let's move on and see how the rematch goes.

Yan's speech taken from post-fight press conferences.

"Frankly speaking, I didn't even realize what they told me. I was more focused on his hands once he lifted them off the ground. The footage should reveal the way he lifted his hands off the canvas. I didn't see him sitting on his knee, I thought he crouched down.

After Aljamain's fall, it took me a while to realize it was an illegal kick. Again, I saw how his hands weren't touching the canvas".

Yea...guess he missed when the ref told him he was down too..."didnt realize".. its ur job to realize before throwing the strike ... especially when u have soo many other options

Yap...

From Yan's perspective you cannot see whether the knee is touching the ground or not. That said, he has to deal with the consequences, but I don't think he did it out of frustration. He was handily beating Aljo.

Just imagine ending up in that position in a fight. On your knees covering your head like a bitch.

Rules are rules n this fight wasnt in the streets.smh

You are a goof or a child,or both.

I think for grounded opponents if your head is higher than your ass the strike should be legal. Thisn is a bullshit rule and is arbitrary by literally 1 inch.

I think a sensible compromise could be made along these lines.

he was literally a turtle lol

not sure what yan could do in this position. grappling would be dumb. you can't punch the back of the head.

i guess all you can do is let aljo get up ?

Back