Pescetarianism

animalistik

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
What do you guys here think about pescetarianism? I don't mean to start the flame war that normally happens when vegetarianism is brought up, so please try and keep the bickering to a minimum.

I've found that the consensus of this forum is that a healthy balanced diet including meat is better than a healthy vegetarian diet. However, what do you D/S guys think about a pescetarian diet (no meat except fish)? In the past I've read that a pescetarian diet is healthier than both a vegetarian diet and a diet with other meats in it, but there's a lot of things I read before lurking these forums that you guys have debunked. :)

Yes, half-stupid is indeed preferable to full stupid.

I was what you would call pescetarian for a while. It was a pretty big misjudgement on my part... it lacks logic (why refrain from meat and still eat fish? they both have feelings) and it's not that interesting. Sure I was at my healthiest then; that is the only upside. Wouldn't recommend it unless you had some specific dietary need or you just really wanted to try it out.

I was what you would call pescetarian for a while. It was a pretty big misjudgement on my part... it lacks logic (why refrain from meat and still eat fish? they both have feelings) and it's not that interesting. Sure I was at my healthiest then; that is the only upside. Wouldn't recommend it unless you had some specific dietary need or you just really wanted to try it out.

that could be reason enough for some

that could be reason enough for some

If that was the cause I would agree. But that particular aspect of his diet is probably NOT the only thing that made that his healthiest period.

I am not against eating meat, bt I try to limit the amount of processed hormone injected filthy meat from big food. THing is that fish is relatively cheap compared to organic beef,poultry and such.

I am not against eating meat, bt I try to limit the amount of processed hormone injected filthy meat from big food. THing is that fish is relatively cheap compared to organic beef,poultry and such.

Seems like after 'documentaries' like "Food, Inc." there needs to be a new 'phobia' added to the lexicon.

if anything, what matters in the end is that fish is healthier than meat. And also has more protein and essential oils.

Doing it for PETA and other things is just a plain show-off.

Health above everything.

THing is that fish is relatively cheap compared to organic beef,poultry and such.

I think that would depend on where you are. I'm about to purchase a mixed quarter cow from a local, grass-pasture, cattle-farm at about 5 dollars per pound(roughly the price of extra-lean ground beef). In the city where I live(Calgary), there are a few good fish markets, however, the price of high quality fresh fish, especially if you wanna mix it up, is quite elevated, as it all pretty much has to be flown in on a daily basis. I imagine people in Halifax, or Vancouver would have a vastly different perspective on the whole thing, though.

It always amuses me to hear people call themselves "Vegetarian" or 'Vegan" or whatever and still consume animals whether that be fish or anything else.

If someone asks me why I don't eat meat, I just say that it doesn't agree with me and I have issues with dairy. It's better to say that than justify Veganism.

The one thing that gets me more than anything else is when Vegan's get on their high horse and start preaching about it, I certainly don't and would choke someone out if they did it to be.

Do whatever, just make sure you eat a healthy balanced diet and try not to jump on the trendy bandwagons.

It always amuses me to hear people call themselves "Vegetarian" or 'Vegan" or whatever and still consume animals whether that be fish or anything else.

If someone asks me why I don't eat meat, I just say that it doesn't agree with me and I have issues with dairy. It's better to say that than justify Veganism.

The one thing that gets me more than anything else is when Vegan's get on their high horse and start preaching about it, I certainly don't and would choke someone out if they did it to be.

Do whatever, just make sure you eat a healthy balanced diet and try not to jump on the trendy bandwagons.

Out of curiosity, why are you a vegetarian if you have a hard time justifying not eating meat?

I could spend all day justifying not eating meat. From the terrible impact on the environment to the health risks with meat in the food chain. However, the one thing that I have found is most people don't care where their food comes from so why bother telling people, they resent it a lot being told something they don't care about.

Also, when you say your a Vegan for example to strangers, they think your some tree hugging hippie that wears a lot of hemp and chants around camp fires in Goa.

The truth is far from that.

Even my girlfriend when she first met me had no idea what to cook for me and struggled, now she likes me doing the cooking. It tastes a lot better than McDonalds.

I could spend all day justifying not eating meat. From the terrible impact on the environment to the health risks with meat in the food chain. However, the one thing that I have found is most people don't care where their food comes from so why bother telling people, they resent it a lot being told something they don't care about.

Also, when you say your a Vegan for example to strangers, they think your some tree hugging hippie that wears a lot of hemp and chants around camp fires in Goa.

Even my girlfriend when she first met me had no idea what to cook for me and struggled, now she likes me doing the cooking. It tastes a lot better than McDonalds.

Vegan propaganda!

Fair enough, I don't agree with the impact on the envirnment, nor the health risks with meat in the food chain, but each to his own.

All good mate and I respect your opinion on this. People seem to go mad when the subject comes to Veganism or meat eating and each to his own I say. I personally would not touch meat but I have no reason to criticise anyone who does.

Certainly no propaganda on my behalf.

I got sick of fish when I went pure veggie / bean / fish.

So I ate red meat once a week.

If I ate red meat twice a week, I would get sick (that means I'd shit a lot the next day and feel crappy).

If I ate only veggie / bean / lentil etc. food.

I would get sick (that means I'd shit a lot the next day and feel crappy).

Since going fairly pure veggie, I cannot eat red meat more then 3x a week, I eat a shitload of eggs and kidney beans, I still can't eat chicken, and I get sick on crappy nitrate filled deli meat.

This is good.

Eat what the fuck your body tells you (which, if you eat a lot of veggies and spare meat / eggs, you will feel great).

Results? -60lbs of fat.

Fair enough, I don't agree with the impact on the envirnment, nor the health risks with meat in the food chain, but each to his own.

Both have been scientifically proven. How do you not agree with it? I'm not asking why you don't eat meat, the health risks of biomagnification are relatively low, and it's easy to ignore the environment, but why is it hard to believe that meat might be damaging in some respects?

I hate food "--isms."

I hate "--isms" in general.

Saying that you are a whatever "ist" basically implies that you just follow whatever it is that group is doing without actually thinking for yourself and forming your own opinions.

Back