Personalities of Non-English Speaking Fighters (Bilingual Bros GTFIH)

Yo when did overeem grow up? I remember 8 years ago he was a fucking prick. Now he seems super easy going. When did he change?
I don't know man, I've only been following MMA for 8 years haha so I missed that. But let's be honest, if I would be Uberreem, chances are pretty high I would also be a massive prick.

But you know, he's older, 3 kids, engaged. I guess people do get wiser with the years.

It doesn't. It borders Belgium.

Lol, Belgian here. You might need to take a geography class mate. The Netherlands border Belgium that's right, but they also border Germany for 570km.

I don't know man, I've only been following MMA for 8 years haha so I missed that. But let's be honest, if I would be Uberreem, chances are pretty high I would also be a massive prick.
Getting your brain scrambled a few times must help in the humility department as well

Mark O. Madsen is your typical jock. Sounds like a blue collar worker. He's rather nice and polite though (but can also be a bit of a dick in a low-key way)

Jack Hermansson seems pretty intelligent and at the same time very humble and pleasant to be around. Definitely one of the nicest guys in the UFC.

Yeah I feel the same about Madsen.

Kampmann always seemed like a laid back dude. Quite the poker player as well it seems.

^^^^^
LOL @ this debate on Belgium's borders. Just look at a map ? WTF seriously.

And on topic: there is only one "G" in the German language and it is pronounced like in the word "gay" (using this example on purpose so you guys might relate, NTTAWWT of course).

Not sure what is meant with the "soft G"? Do you guys mean this guttural throat sound that the Dutch do all the time? In that case that sound exists in German too, but exclusively with the letters combination "ch" and usually after an o or an a, like "lachen" or "Loch". And even then it is never as guttural as the Dutch throat clearing.

You must not be very gifted in terms of language to have needed 5 mn to realise that the French-Canadians were speaking French.

It's one thing for a French person to have trouble understanding French-Canadians, which I can understand. Some French Canadians can't articulate for shit and use expressions which are heavily marked by the old-French origins + bastardisation coming from the English language.

HOWEVER, not to recognise a word after 5 minutes? Dude, fuck off. I think you simply look down on us and belong to this minority of French people who are arrogant fucksticks and are hated everywhere.
or maybe he just over exaggerated to make his point, as 'man I was waiting in line for an hour' when in reality it was maybe 40 minutes. chill out.

Swiss French accent is slower than regular French, Swiss accent sounds dumb. Belgian accent is harder to describe, harsher on vowels and the ending of words. It's instantly recognisable, for a french anyway. But unlike Swiss French it doesnt sound dumb or anything like that.
We are not dumb enough to be in the EU.
giphy.gif

^^^^^

And on topic: there is only one "G" in the German language and it is pronounced like in the word "gay" (using this example on purpose so you guys might relate, NTTAWWT of course).

Not sure what is meant with the "soft G"? Do you guys mean this guttural throat sound that the Dutch do all the time? In that case that sound exists in German too, but exclusively with the letters combination "ch" and usually after an o or an a, like "lachen" or "Loch". And even then it is never as guttural as the Dutch throat clearing.
In the Netherlands most places use that harsh sounding guttural G. However, the two most southern provinces (Limburg and Brabant) have a different G. It's a softer sounding G.

This video probably explains it (can't watch the entire thing am pretending to be working in between Sherdogging).

^^^^^

Looks like the "G" of Germanic origin underwent phonetic changes in Dutch, and is no longer in any native word, only in borrowings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_language#Consonants

For example, Dutch 'goed', equivalent of English 'good' now starts with ɣ sound most similar to english 'h' in 'hedge' or wherever.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/goed#Dutch

It actually seem to be there in most of the borrowing too.

And according to Wiki, Western Flemish dialect instead realized this with ɦ, indentical as with standard English h in behind.

In any case none of those sound are actually g, writing it with g is just orthographic convention/relic.

Yea this is something I don't understand haha. If you don't live there and you want to say something at the borders, just fucking google it, it takes 5 secs and you'll save yourself some embaressement.
Ik woon er ook knuppel.leer het verschil tussen zuid en oost anders eens

It doesn't. It borders Belgium.

Limburg wel en hebben ook een zachte G. Moet wel toevoegen dat jij (en Rutten) een Brabander bent, als je dat nog niet hebt gedaan iig.

My take aways from this thread:
-People who speak the same language (and likely to live in the same place) still have very different opinions on what sounds "good" "dumb" and "high class"

-French people are very judgmental of how others speak french.
So no real surprises here but still pretty interesting.

Limburg wel en hebben ook een zachte G. Moet wel toevoegen dat jij (en Rutten) een Brabander bent, als je dat nog niet hebt gedaan iig.
True. Maar dan bordert het er nog niet aan de zuidkant aan. Semantics, maakt ook verder geen reet uit eigk

Ik woon er ook knuppel.leer het verschil tussen zuid en oost anders eens
Don't get your panties in a bunch mate. And I don't live in the Netherlands, I live in Belgium.

Looks like the "G" of Germanic origin underwent phonetic changes in Dutch, and is no longer in any native word, only in borrowings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_language#Consonants

For example, Dutch 'goed', equivalent of English 'good' now starts with ɣ sound most similar to english 'h' in 'hedge' or wherever.

It actually seem to be there in most of the borrowing too.

And according to Wiki, Western Flemish dialect instead realized this with ɦ, indentical as with standard English h in behind.

In any case none of those sound are actually g, writing it with g is just orthographic convention/relic.
I'm from West-Flanders and we indeed pronounce it like the h in behind, that's actually a pretty good example. So even if it's a h or a g, in our dialect both will sound like the h in behind.

Fun fact, we can understand most dialects from all the regions in Belgium but practically no one understand ours.

I'd be curious to hear about Aldo. Any Portuguese speakers here that can tell us a bit more about this legend's personality?

Maybe Maia, too. Does he come off as extremely nice in Portuguese like he does in English?

I also wouldn't mind knowing if Gomi was as much of a wild man as he seemed.

Last edited:

That's not correct.

Don't get your panties in a bunch mate. And I don't live in the Netherlands, I live in Belgium.

I'm from West-Flanders and we indeed pronounce it like the h in behind, that's actually a pretty good example. So even if it's a h or a g, in our dialect both will sound like the h in behind.

Fun fact, we can understand most dialects from all the regions in Belgium but practically no one understand ours.

I do.

That's not correct.

I do.
Where you from? Like I said practically no one, I'm sure there are still people who understand it. My cousins live in Gent and they can understand me for example. But if I would use a very very heavy dialect from Bruges they would struggle. Especially because there are so many words that only exist in our dialect that you don't have the proper AN.
When I went to college I had do my best to speak proper dutch because most people were from Antwerp and Limburg and they wouldn't understand me.

Where you from? Like I said practically no one, I'm sure there are still people who understand it. My cousins live in Gent and they can understand me for example. But if I would use a very very heavy dialect from Bruges they would struggle. Especially because there are so many words that only exist in our dialect that you don't have the proper AN.
When I went to college I had do my best to speak proper dutch because most people were from Antwerp and Limburg and they wouldn't understand me.

Noord-Brabant 20 min van de Belgische grens vandaan. Natuurlijk zijn er wel een aantal woorden die ik niet ken al zou iemand echt uitsluitend in een zwaar dialect spreken, maar over het algemeen kan ik Belgen uit all streken wel volgen/ontcijferen.

Back