Personalities of Non-English Speaking Fighters (Bilingual Bros GTFIH)

Based and White Pilled

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I made this thread years ago. Unfortunately it's gone, or I'm too stupid to find it. Either way, it's been a long time and there are plenty of new fighters to talk about.

The idea of the thread is to explain how some of the fighters who don't speak English extremely well sound in their native tongue to us dummies who only speak one language. If there are specific fighters anyone would like to know about, ask. Maybe someone can answer.

For example:
-Frank Mir is very articulate and communicates well. He can sometimes sound a little pompous.
-The Diaz brothers speak in a way normally associated with "the hood" using a lot of slang and profanity. They are often dismissive or defensive with interviewers. They dgaf.

Some specifics I remember from the first thread that stuck with me:
-Shogun and Ninja Rua have a rural accent and a weird cadence. A Brazilian poster who described it seemed to like it.
-Kid Yamamoto (R.I.P.) spoke in what could be considered a "hood" way. Iirc it was basically described as how hoodlums speak over there.
-Korean Zombie is very articulate and very polite
-I wasn't able to get much about Fedor other than that he seems really nice
-some people ITT accused me of trying to stereotype fighters and basically be a dick. That is not the case. I really just want to know what they're like.

There were a lot of good posts the last time. Hopefully this thread will deliver as well.

TLDR: If you speak a language other than English, tell us ignorant Americans what the fighters who primarily speak that language are like.

Edit: some specific fighters I'm interested in are Petr Yan, Jan Blachowicz, Paulo Costa, GSP's French, Horiguchi, Aoki, Wanderlei, Nogueira brothers, Fedor, Aleksander E., and I'd love to hear about anyone else you guys can tell us about.

Last edited:
For those of you who don't speak english;
Sage Northcutts way of speaking is reflective of the streets in poverty stricken american. He's always talking about gang banging and killing people with his bare hands. He is the epitome of rough around the edges.

I remember a Brazilian poster years ago relating that Anderson Silva sounds really weird in Portuguese, like he has high-functioning autism or something.
I can't remember what was actually said about Anderson in the last thread, but I don't think that was it lol. I think it was that people thought he seemed gay.

I hope these three posts haven't already killed the thread.
<{outtahere}>

I always found GSP stiff when he speaks in french. He tries to be well spoken but it doesnt sound natural at all. You know he doesnt talk like that at all normally.

Its normal, we all want to appear well spoken in front of the camera but Georges takes it to another level. He still is very respected here and a great role rodel.

Georges bless

Edit:
On the Other hand, Aubin Mercier (OAM) and the newcomer Charles Jourdain are really well spoken and natural in all the interviews I saw them

I made this thread years ago. Unfortunately it's gone, or I'm too stupid to find it. Either way, it's been a long time and there are plenty of new fighters to talk about.

The idea of the thread is to explain to us dummies who only speak one language, how some of the fighters who don't speak English extremely well sound in their native tongue. If there are specific fighters anyone would like to know about, ask. Maybe someone can answer.

For example:
-Frank Mir is very articulate and communicates well. He can sometimes sound a little pompous.
-The Diaz brothers speak in a way normally associated with "the hood" using a lot of slang and profanity. They are often dismissive or defensive with interviewers. They dgaf.

-Shogun and Ninja Rua have a rural accent and a weird cadence. A Brazilian poster who described it, seemed to like it.
-Kid Yamamoto (R.I.P.) spoke in what could be considered a "hood" way. Iirc it was basically described as how hoodlums speak over there.
-some people ITT accused me of trying to stereotype fighters and basically be a dick. That is not the case. I really just want to know what they're like.

There were a lot of good posts the last time. Hopefully this thread will deliver as well.

TLDR: If you speak a language other than English, tell us ignorant Americans what the fighters who primarily speak that language are like.

Edit: some specific fighters I'm interested in are Petr Yan, Jan Blachowicz, Paulo Costa, GSP's French, Horiguchi, Aoki, Wanderlei, Nogueira brothers, Fedor, Aleksander E., and I'd love to hear about anyone else you guys can tell us about.

Volkan Oezdemir speaks French very well with almost no Swiss accent. His French interviews are very enjoyable, much more relaxed than the English ones.

The idea of the thread is to explain to us dummies who only speak one language, how some of the fighters who don't speak English extremely well sound in their native tongue. If there are specific fighters anyone would like to know about, ask. Maybe someone can answer.

For example:

-Shogun and Ninja Rua have a rural accent and a weird cadence. A Brazilian poster who described it, seemed to like it.

Francis Ngannou has the typical West African accent when speaking French but it is not very pronounced, and he's always very articulate when he's answering interviewer's questions in French

Mark O. Madsen is your typical jock. Sounds like a blue collar worker. He's rather nice and polite though (but can also be a bit of a dick in a low-key way)

Jack Hermansson seems pretty intelligent and at the same time very humble and pleasant to be around. Definitely one of the nicest guys in the UFC.

Last edited:
I can't remember what was actually said about Anderson in the last thread, but I don't think that was it lol. I think it was that people thought he seemed gay.

I hope these three posts haven't already killed the thread.
<{outtahere}>
He does have a Michael Jackson-type voice which stands out because Brazilian Portuguese is typically spoken in a low register, even the women tend to sound relatively deep and masculine when speaking it. There was a Burger King commercial there that basically made fun of how high-pitched his voice was.

Mark O. Madsen is your typical unsophisticated jock. Sounds like a blue collar worker. He's rather nice and polite though.

Jack Hermansson seems pretty intelligent and at the same time very humble and pleasant to be around. Definitely one of the nicest guys in the UFC.

That surprises me, Madsen dresses and comes across as quite a sophisticated guy in English.

I'd describe Makwan Amirkhani's personality as pretentious, pompous and self-righteous in Finnish. Constantly tries to paint a picture like he's some sort of a profound philosopher with shitty quotes that lack any real substance. Dude actually reminds me of Jon Jones without all the drunk driving and coke fueled partying.

In terms of his grasp of the Finnish language, he's very fluent yet his immigrant background still leaks through now and then, more so when spoken than in writing.

Yet, she comes across as very nice and somewhat girly, but also her patriotic nature leads me to believe she is 100% behind her nation and will argue for the mainland which I detest extremely.

And you live in Shanghai?

Overeem speaks like an average Dutch guy, well-spoken and without much of a regional accent.

Bas Rutten is from the south - which is were I'm from - and speaks with quite a thick accent. Southerners are ridiculed (all in good fun) often because of their accent. They/we speak with a soft G which most languages don't know at all. Everyone not from the south in the Netherlands speaks with a "hard" G which is more akin to the Arab-sounding throat-gargly sound. The latter is regarded as being more "correct".

Melvin Manhoef has a pretty thick Amsterdam - accent, which is quite distinctive.

I'll think of some more.

He does have a Michael Jackson-type voice which stands out because Brazilian Portuguese is typically spoken in a low register, even the women tend to sound relatively deep and masculine when speaking it. There was a Burger King commercial there that basically made fun of how high-pitched his voice was.

Lmao

For those of you who don't speak english;
Sage Northcutts way of speaking is reflective of the streets in poverty stricken american. He's always talking about gang banging and killing people with his bare hands. He is the epitome of rough around the edges.

True!

I remember that time when he had an altercation with Nate Diaz. He said to Nate "I'll fuck you until you love me, you fucking skinny mexican" and Nate said "Listen here, you ignorant fool, race related comments do not have their place this society full of institutional racism. Read a book, educate yourself, be better"

Overeem speaks like an average Dutch guy, well-spoken and without much of a regional accent.

Bas Rutten is from the south - which is were I'm from - and speaks with quite a thick accent. Southerners are ridiculed (all in good fun) often because of their accent. They/we speak with a soft G which most languages don't know at all. Everyone not from the south in the Netherlands speaks with a "hard" G which is more akin to the Arab-sounding throat-gargly sound. The latter is regarded as being more "correct".

Melvin Manhoef has a pretty thick Amsterdam - accent, which is quite distinctive.

I'll think of some more.
Interesting, the north/south difference makes some sense geographically. Nordic European countries have a soft G and then the Germans have a hard G

I'd describe Makwan Amirkhani's personality as pretentious, pompous and self-righteous in Finnish. Constantly tries to paint a picture like he's some sort of a profound philosopher with shitty quotes that lack any real substance. Dude actually reminds me of Jon Jones without all the drunk driving and coke fueled partying.

In terms of his grasp of the Finnish language, he's very fluent yet his immigrant background still leaks through now and then, more so when spoken than in writing.

See now this one is exactly what I'd expect.

Back