People who practice mostly the ground game, why not focus more on your stand up?

You can get that feeling of flow in grappling (for example, do a sweet reversal or submit someone) without as much pain as it would mean getting it during standup-sparring.

TequillaSlammer said:
Why do you do more stand up than grappling?

because I see MT and boxing as two different but important sciences. I also see grappling as an important science. So to take a logic approach, I try to do 33.3%, 33.3%, and 33.3% of each.

because ive got a good enough standup where i can a) take a punch b) im willing to return a punch and c) i can pick my spots when i shoot. d) watch the episode of tuf 2 with joe vs marcus perfect example of why you should get your ground top notch. that and i just like ground fighting more
DKM76 said:
because I see MT and boxing as two different but important sciences. I also see grappling as an important science. So to take a logic approach, I try to do 33.3%, 33.3%, and 33.3% of each.
thats silly your saying you can take grappling as a whole. theres several aspects to grappling, judo/grecko roman/non grecko wrestling for standup grappling. bjj/sub wrestling for submissions obviously. then there is ground and pound which is where you say fuck subs and go for pounding then a guard pass then some more pounding

Because I've mastered striking and standup. I need to complete my mastery of the ground game to become a certified Special Ops assassin.

i prefer grappling for the main reason that you can train harder without injury. you can go pretty much all out fighing submissions and not really hurt each other. where as if you go all out in standup you will most likely hurt or get hurt. even if it is only a minor injury. also i thinkits much more of an art. where as standup though not truly random is more chaotic. i know ppl that are the complete opposite of me and prefer the standup i guess it just depends.

I just way better at wrestling than I am at anything else

DKM76 said:
To the ones that spent most of their time in wrestling, judo, and BJJ...why not spend more time on striking arts like boxing and/or MT?

just wanna see if your reasoning is amongst the following: grappling skills are more important.....I don't have time......I enjoy grappling more.........there is more to learn in grappling than in stand up....a good grappler will beat a striker any day....according to the UFC , the wrestler wins more often.....or any other reasons that you may have.
To the ones who spend all their time writing crap like this- We know where you live, we will tap your monkey-ass out!
Just kidding! But seriously, unless you are training for MMA, you don't need to train in MT or KB. If you are training for MMA then it is necessary to develop a well rounded game.

I think the ground game is more important. maybe like 70/30 or 80/20
I think some stand-up guys have it stuck in their head that they just won't be taken down...
but the odds of them landing a KO shot before they are taken down is very low %.(from what I've seen)
I think...
while a striker is standing against a grappler he is worried about being taken down to the point where he is uncomfortable standing...b/c he is afraid to commit....fearing that he will be taken down and when a striker is down it's fish out of water.
when a grappler is standing they still have basic knowledge and have a plan (take the guy down) once that happens then they are in their comfort zone.

the TUF joe vs. marcus is a great example as described above.

in closing...
I think a grappler that's inexperienced with stand-up is > a striker that is inexperienced with grappling.
there is a greater chance of a grappler landing that 'strikers chance' blow for a KO, than a striker throwing a triangle on a grappler.

striking to me is an art where either you have it or you don't...you can get better with practice though. but basic common sense applies.

grappling is a learned progression, what you put in you get out. Genetics and smarts plays a great role, but a lot of the techniques and subs are not common sense...

rant rant rant.....

What is the real reason for asking this question?

triso said:
What is the real reason for asking this question?

curiosity. I am about to ask the question in reverse in the stand up section

i've never been a stranger to mat burns or bruises and all that physical love but once i start training striking (in a month or less) i have a feeling i'm going to walk into work like in Fight Club; a beaten up face, dried blood flaking off me, bruises and patches of blue and black.. bleeding teeth etc. can't wait for the uncomfortable, silent reaction.

i already have a few mat burns and bruises on my arm, scratches on my neck and a bit of a puffy eyebrow and i get this ancy vibe from them and these are just bjj bumps.

^ Wow. I work as a security guard. These kinds of markings endear me to the people I work for, they enjoy my war stories too, especially when it lands me in the e.r. of the hospital I work for!

I am an MMA fanatic. With that being said, I think lately to many people are coming on these boards and assuming everyone should be training for MMA or a mixture of ground and striking. Some people enjoy striking, some enjoy grappling, some want a mixture of both, and some are training for MMA. This doesn't make anyone wrong. They just all have different likes, dislikes, restrictions, attributes and goals.

I used to train both Boxing and Submission Wrestling. It was fun, though I feel like I didn't have enough time to become extremely well versed in one or the other. Sometimes, doing this can actually work against you if you don't really have the time to train a good number of days during the week.

After some layoff, I had to choose one or the other, because I only have time to train maybe 3x a week, and I want to become very skilled in one art. For me, I bought a heavy bag and DE bag and set them up in my basement. I try to work them maybe once or twice a week. Then I went and signed up for Jiu Jitsu.

I just have more fun with grappling. It

I prefer grappling. Simple as that. I've done plenty of striking, but I love grappling.

I started in MT and thought BJJ was dumb and wasn't for me. First night of class I hated it but I went for a second one (Our academy has MT/BJJ/JKD Concepts/FMA for all one price of 120/shameless plug over) because my sister was going and I didn't want to punk out.

This time the real teacher taught the class (Before a blue belt taught my first class because he was going off to college and going to teach there blah blah blah) and I absouteley fell in love. I got to roll that night to and I felt so dumb because I just sprawled and went around in circles for all of 5 minutes. I was dead tired while everyone looked at me with a sort of "aww noobie" smirk.

Now that I have about 20 classes I never get tired and I freaking love this art. It's so technical and I think it's much deeper than MT. There is always tourneys going on and you can go close to 100% each night you roll. The whole class vibe (Which is a biggy here) is really laid back and fun, no rigid structure or delusional rituals and traditions. Really social, I constantly get help even without asking.

Also another thing, the art is VERY humbling and I can see I have a LONG ass road ahead of me before I ever get good. There has been about 4 guys that took trial classes (1 wrestler who wanted to learn bjj but his takedowns were butt) and they never came back because they all used stregnth and got frustrated like my first night.

End of pointless rant/

And I think someone who is extremely efficient in one art and covers his weakness by avoiding getting drawn into that person's art > someone who trains in both stand-up and grappling all the time (Except of course for Fedor but he doesn't count because he isn't human)

Bama Zulu said:
Now that I have about 20 classes I never get tired...

C'mon now, let's not go overboard with our enthusiasm.

the art is VERY humbling

This is so true. It just cannot be fully appreciated until you actually train it or take a few classes. You realize there is so much to learn, and it can become overwhelming at times. It's also nice to see how good people above you are. Gives you something to look forward too.

Everytime someone says, "yea, but i would just stand up" I crack up. If they tried even one class, they would see how effective this art is.

I do KB twice a week. Grappling is valuable but knowing how to knock someone's teeth out is handy also.

Back