People who practice mostly the ground game, why not focus more on your stand up?

honestly i do think that grappling is more important than striking. i think i have more fun training in grappling than striking. maybe because im a better striker & i really ant to become a better grappler. i do enjoy both though.

In all honesty; anyone can throw a punch, and after maybe a year or two of training; one can have a devastating stand up. When it comes to wrestling and BJJ however, it takes years upon years to become accomplished.

Well, I train BJJ for the sport aspect of it. It keeps me pretty fit too. Simple as that.

You don't go asking a soccer player why he doesn't do crosscountry skiing, do you?

Of course the equation changes quite a bit if one trains for MMA purposes, but that's too much for me. My pretty looks could suffer! I just like to watch MMA.

Truculent said:
In all honesty; anyone can throw a punch, and after maybe a year or two of training; one can have a devastating stand up. When it comes to wrestling and BJJ however, it takes years upon years to become accomplished.

This is a huge misconception in striking arts. Just out of curiousity, how many times have you sparred?

People have this belief that they can practice striking alone, on a heavy bag, or shadowboxing, and that they are getting better. You're upping your conditioning and maybe some power, but you're NOT becoming a better stand-up fighter.

Stand-up fighting takes just as much skill and strategy as grappling. It's MUCH more than knowing how to throw a punch. I used to think I was a good stand-up fighter, way back in the day, when I was doing some boxing (without sparring; just concepts), kempo, and Krav Maga. I decided to switch over to MMA, and my form was good, but sparring was a big wake-up call. I sparred a guy from Thailand once, who basically used pure, authentic Muay Thai (wasn't even a top tier Thai boxer, just the average athlete), and he beat the CRAP out of me. Ever since that night I just looked at Muay Thai in a totally different way.

"Anyone can throw a punch" is to stand up as "Anyone can do a guillotine" is to grappling.

That being said, I train equally in both. They're both really fun. Although truthfully, I find Muay Thai to be the most beautiful martial art. When you see the actual Thai boxers in Thailand working out, their kicks, elbows, punches, and knees are just art to me. But I love BJJ and wrestling, too. I love throws and slams, and submissions and sweeps are really cool. Overall, I just love training MMA. Speaking of which, I'm going to go work out.

I am strictly BJJ for now, as I'm still pretty new to this game. I've been rolling for about 3 or so months now and I go 3 to 4 times a week. I intend on starting a bit of stand up maybe in a few months but until then, I love grappling.

Because god told me to. Plus I would like to do Boxing with one of my friend's pops who is like 60 and when living in Cuba trained the olympic team. Cool guy and great boxer.

who do you think's going to beat fedor a striker or a grappler?

OpethDrums said:
who do you think's going to beat fedor a striker or a grappler?
no one:)

Dont know the best of both have taken him on and lost

Nog for the grapplers, and cro-cop for the strikers.

Bama Zulu said:
Also another thing, the art is VERY humbling

True. Getting Koed while exchanging bombs > Uhh.........I got caught. Shit happens. Tapping > PLEASE PLEASE STOP Let me go.

sakufan said:
True. Getting Koed while exchanging bombs > Uhh.........I got caught. Shit happens. Tapping > PLEASE PLEASE STOP Let me go.
Hahaha word.

wildcard_seven said:
Honestly, I don't like the emotion of standup. The whole atmosphere of even moderate sparring is of wanting to hurt/damage your opponent, and your opponent bascially also has thoughts of abusing your body the best he can.

I don't think like this in grappling. I train to hurt nobody, and I don't feel the anger in grappling that I do in standup. I appreciate the beauty of the techniques in grappling, and I consider the pain that indeed goes with it just part of a demanding work out...somehow the acceptance of tapping and the ability to restrain submissions makes it just a game to me.

And that is truly all I want it to be. I feel no need to defend my honor or my pride, and considering I'm generally polite and friendly, the likleyhood that I will ever get into a fight is very low. And though it still could happen I won't worry about it. Because anything could happen. I could be hit by a car, or fall down some stairs. But, I won't spend my days training to dodge cars, or breakfall down stairs.

I agree with everyone's answer (more fun, more skill/technique, more "thinking"), particularly this one.
I've trained stand up all my life and only been doing bjj
for a few months.

Besides the obvious difference in skills, I realized how different in mindset/attitude bjj
is compared to MT or any striking art. BJJ (besides being a sport)
really defines the meaning of "self-dense". BJJ works best when your
opponent "brings it" to you. He's the aggressor and you're thereby defending.
In striking, you sometimes have to move forward in order for your strikes to land, making
you look like the aggressor. I know it's not so black & white, but anyway, you get the idea....

Back