People need to understand last night proved JDS is one of the hardest to finish at HW

I agree.....I have watched Overeem get his ass handed to him for years....now he bulks up with help of course...& bullies smaller HWs & all the sudden he is a Superstar....I call bullshit..... I have watched him since the Pride years & U are right, he has no heart...when he meets stiff competition he folds....thats a fact & I have the tapes to prove it...when he fights a top 5 & wins lemme know...

WOW....you have restored my faith in sherdog. Finally, an intelligent post. THANKS!!

I disagre. It wasn't a good fight nor was it a great performance by Cain. He did terrible on capitalizing on a crippling shot. His top game was poor and he did not pick his shots against a JDS who had his hands waist high the whole fight.

I think you have to take the quality of opponent into consideration of how good the performance was.

This was Junior Dos Santos we're talking about...

and just the amazing pace was enough to call it a great performance. The amount of takedowns Cain shot for in round 1 would tire most WW's out.

Then his wrestling; his striking; all looked great. If the main complaint is "well he didn't capitalize (aka finish)" then I'm guessing you must be one of those "GSP sucks cause he doesn't finish" types

That was pure domination and it was amazing. and if by didn't pick his shots, you mean he didn't try to measure and go for a ko shot.. that's just silly, why should he? Why not just keep peppering the guy and get a guaranteed win? Trying to unnecessarily go for the ko would've been a risk he didn't need to take.

keep hope alive.

What would be funny is if the UFC did a rematch with Big Country, thinking it would be an easy road to set JDS up for a rematch with Cain, and Big Country KO'd him this time.

Cain could have finished him at anytime after the first round, but I have absolutely no idea why he was so intent on taking him down (very few were successful which resulted in wasted energy) and clinching with him which favored JDS more than himself. He should have kept his distance and went to town on his chin, but I guess he had to prove a point about how "good" his wrestling is and how hard it was to keep JDS on the ground.

As a JDS fan I am emabarresed.....as a MMA fan, also. Terrible fight

this. jds gassed horribly 2 minutes into the fight and cains terrific cardio wasnt on display either, he seemed gassed by the third. plus cains takedowns seemed real sloppy and desperate to me. it was a horrible fight. never saw it going down like that. but yes, jds showed tremendous heart. even in the 4th and 5th rounds he was able to continuously get back to his feet after being taken down. he took that beating like a fuckin man

Cain could have finished him at anytime after the first round, but I have absolutely no idea why he was so intent on taking him down (very few were successful which resulted in wasted energy) and clinching with him which favored JDS more than himself. He should have kept his distance and went to town on his chin, but I guess he had to prove a point about how "good" his wrestling is and how hard it was to keep JDS on the ground.

Really? Was I the only one watching the fight wondering wtf Cain was doing when he WASN'T trying to take him down?

JDS had a proven chin going into this fight. Now more than ever, as Natman has pointed out, it should be clear that you're not going to KO the guy. Don't waste your hands, your breath, or risk your own consciousness by boxing him.

I was proud of what Cain accomplished after landed that right. But every instance I saw him standing and exchanging, I was waiting for a truly lucky hail-mary punch to catch Cain for the upset. That's a silly risk. I was thankful for every moment Cain did the smart thing and kept closing the distance and shooting for takedowns. He respected JDS was still a dangerous striker. And that was just barely.

Really? Was I the only one watching the fight wondering wtf Cain was doing when he WASN'T trying to take him down?

JDS had a proven chin going into this fight. Now more than ever, as Natman has pointed out, it should be clear that you're not going to KO the guy. Don't waste your hands, your breath, or risk your own consciousness by boxing him.

I was proud of what Cain accomplished after landed that right. But every instance I saw him standing and exchanging, I was waiting for a truly lucky hail-mary punch to catch Cain for the upset. That's a silly risk. I was thankful for every moment Cain did the smart thing and kept closing the distance and shooting for takedowns. He respected JDS was still a dangerous striker. And that was just barely.

You play too much UFC Undisputed 3 if you think that spamming takedown after takedown without any in-between is a legitimate strategy that won't end badly.

I think you have to take the quality of opponent into consideration of how good the performance was.

This was Junior Dos Santos we're talking about...

and just the amazing pace was enough to call it a great performance. The amount of takedowns Cain shot for in round 1 would tire most WW's out.

Then his wrestling; his striking; all looked great. If the main complaint is "well he didn't capitalize (aka finish)" then I'm guessing you must be one of those "GSP sucks cause he doesn't finish" types

That was pure domination and it was amazing. and if by didn't pick his shots, you mean he didn't try to measure and go for a ko shot.. that's just silly, why should he? Why not just keep peppering the guy and get a guaranteed win? Trying to unnecessarily go for the ko would've been a risk he didn't need to take.

Wrong. I am guessing you did not watch the fight or did not understand what you saw. Or maybe it'a just you being you.

Nothing I said has anything to do with taking risks or not. His striking did not look great, nor did his wrestling. Junior was pretty much dead and had no guard, Cain did not need to go for a KO shot, he could have kept peppering him in the right spots and Junior would be put out.

Two things I learnt from that fight...

JDS TDD is amazing, one of the best sprawls from a HW I've seen and very hard to keep him there...Cain wasn't able to hold him down even after taking a flush haymaker for the face and basically just trying to survive for 5 rounds.

Rock solid chin, that punch would of ko'd a lot of people.

JDS is going to be a hard task for any wrestler or grappler and the division isn't really full of elite kickboxers apart from Hunt or Overeem, so he probably picks apart most of the strikers in the division aswell....I see him holding a top 5 spot for a verrrry long time.

Wrong. I am guessing you did not watch the fight or did not understand what you saw. Or maybe it'a just you being you.

Nothing I said has anything to do with taking risks or not. His striking did not look great, nor did his wrestling. Junior was pretty much dead and had no guard, Cain did not need to go for a KO shot, he could have kept peppering him in the right spots and Junior would be put out.

cain is a great finisher. if he could have, he would have.

He should have peace of mind that he's durable and hard to finish. But he shouldn't let himself turn into Nog and just eat shots for the fuck of it. He also needs to stop being such a pussy when it comes to the ground game, dude is a black belt and should use it... Cain shot like a retard in the first round and junior never punished him for it even when he was in a superior position. That gave cain alot of confidence knowing that junior was scared shitless to be anywhere near the ground -- allowed him to open up his strikes alot better.

Cardio could also use a bit of work, but the fact that he went 5 rounds after eating alot of hard punches and didn't die means it isnt as big a deal as people make it out to be.

He'll be back, as long as this fight doesn't ruin him mentally, which i doubt it will.

My son will be champion again.

too often are fighters underrated after losses which is why I wanted Cain to win, so that people wouldn't think that he suddenly sucked just because he couldn't beat JDS

but now JDS is at risk of getting the same treatment, but let's keep in mind he has not only dominated every fighter he fought including Cain once

but last night proved he is ridiculously hard to finish.

Kongo is the only other person that Cain did not finish in the UFC and that was only because he was rocked at the beginning of each round.

A fresh, unrocked Cain, had 5 rounds to finish JDS and he couldn't do it. I've seen people giving Cain shit for that but they should be giving JDS credit.

Cain finished Lesnar in the 1st round
Cain finished Nog in the 1st round
Cain finished Bigfoot in the 1st round
Cain finished Rothwell in the 2nd round

and all of those are very tough guys that don't finish easily (yes, including Lesnar---ask Carwin and a flying knee Mir how easy he is to finish)

So the fact that Cain couldn't finish JDS means he is practically unfinishable unless nailed perfectly in the early rounds.

Thank you -- precisely what I've been saying all along.

JDS demonstrated astounding heart and resilience and it's a foretelling sign of his dominant return and pulverizing of cain, to come.

It happens in boxing, MMA even in Rocky.

Was Cain even 100%? Got to apply the same speculation fairly.

I don't agree.

Cain was pretty gassed after the second round, his punches had no power at all.

And JDS would have been easily sub'd by anyone with a BJJ game exposing his back like that several times.

too often are fighters underrated after losses which is why I wanted Cain to win, so that people wouldn't think that he suddenly sucked just because he couldn't beat JDS

but now JDS is at risk of getting the same treatment, but let's keep in mind he has not only dominated every fighter he fought including Cain once

but last night proved he is ridiculously hard to finish.

Kongo is the only other person that Cain did not finish in the UFC and that was only because he was rocked at the beginning of each round.

A fresh, unrocked Cain, had 5 rounds to finish JDS and he couldn't do it. I've seen people giving Cain shit for that but they should be giving JDS credit.

Cain finished Lesnar in the 1st round
Cain finished Nog in the 1st round
Cain finished Bigfoot in the 1st round
Cain finished Rothwell in the 2nd round

and all of those are very tough guys that don't finish easily (yes, including Lesnar---ask Carwin and a flying knee Mir how easy he is to finish)

So the fact that Cain couldn't finish JDS means he is practically unfinishable unless nailed perfectly in the early rounds.

cain has pillow fists, just face it. jds with hands down vs reem = head off first round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back