People learning useless BJJ submissions?

Systemanoob**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen so many people always working on a gogoplata, twister or some really useless submission. Most MMA fights end with armbar, RNC, leg lock or kimura if it's going to be finished by submission. So why not learn these techniques perfectly instead of adding submissions you probably won't ever use. The only reason I'm pissed at this, is because the same people have crappy technique in as basic armbar, RNC, etc., and always brag about how their next fight is going to end with a gogoplata.

The omoplata is hardly useless.

learning is adding more weapons to the arsenal. I agree, some you see more than others. The better you get at the "useless" ones better your chances are at using it.

I think the reason these so-called "useless" subs are not used as much is because they ARENT practiced enough....so rather than stopping practicing them I think its better to practice them MORE OFTEN!!!

The oppurtunities to finish a fight/match with an omoplata (or any other the subs you consider useless) are there just as often as say an arm bar....but we dont take advantage of those oppurtunities bc LACK of practice and repetition!

Ask Eddie Bravo is the omoplata is useless lol - He probably finishes more matches with that than you do with an armbar

yeah there are a lot of good submissions that just aren't used in mma that often like the anaconda choke and the arm scissors even (that's a favorite of mine), in a lot of fights i have seen there are a lot of opportunities to use these subs especially the arm scissors.

thats like knowing ahead of time that you are going to be attacked by six people .. and loading your rifle with only six bulletts .. Case thats all you need .. I got space for a few extra .. but only six are coming ..screw teh extra work putting in more bulletts.

if you think the gogo is useless .. crush me in an armbar attempt

Unless threadstarter edited, he said gogoplata, not omoplata. None the less, I think the gogo is a solid submission.

Dude, I don't know what you're talking about. I sharpshooter people all the time.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqRaLqenPdk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqRaLqenPdk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Seriously though, sure some submissions are more high percentage than others, but they ALL work. Furthermore, a grappler should be as familiar with as many submissions as possible so that they will be able to defend them as well.

Besides, if there were an opportunity for a gogoplata and instead you were like, "nah I think a kimura is more high percentage" and you give it up, then you passed up an opportunity to get the submission.

I've seen so many people always working on a gogoplata, twister or some really useless submission. Most MMA fights end with armbar, RNC, leg lock or kimura if it's going to be finished by submission. So why not learn these techniques perfectly instead of adding submissions you probably won't ever use. The only reason I'm pissed at this, is because the same people have crappy technique in as basic armbar, RNC, etc., and always brag about how their next fight is going to end with a gogoplata.

Most submissions use the same principles. Once you understand the principles, why do you care how they apply it? Of course they should never try to force a gogoplata on an opponent - the idea of forcing a submission when it is not optimal is counter to the fundamental nature of jiu-jitsu. However, if you refuse to learn anything new, then you might get caught eventually. Or worse, you'll fail to realize the underlying principles that make it more than "useless."

wtf are you talking about? how about you just train and stop posting ridiculous bullshit, lol. i finish more people with the twister than almost anything else, and use it and other "crazy" submissions not only to win fights but also to create openings for more "high percentage" subs.

:/ back to the drawing board buddy

sound to me like the OP just doesnt have the flexibility or technique to pull off some of the weirder submissions.

or, someone caught him with a gogo recently.

Either way, its hardly a waste of time to learn techniques like that...
hell, most of the time I can salvage an omoplata attempt out of a failed shot at a gogo.

I think the reason these so-called "useless" subs are not used as much is because they ARENT practiced enough....so rather than stopping practicing them I think its better to practice them MORE OFTEN!!!

The oppurtunities to finish a fight/match with an omoplata (or any other the subs you consider useless) are there just as often as say an arm bar....but we dont take advantage of those oppurtunities bc LACK of practice and repetition!

Ask Eddie Bravo is the omoplata is useless lol - He probably finishes more matches with that than you do with an armbar

actually doesn't eddie say he uses the omo plata to set up sweeps more than anything and finishes from the "spiderweb" position?

actually doesn't eddie say he uses the omo plata to set up sweeps more than anything and finishes from the "spiderweb" position?

even so, could it be said that it were "useless"?

All submissions work, just some work better than others is all.

noob. gogoplata's etc end fights, hardly useless

I do know what hes getting at. Its kind of like how aikido uses the intricate wrist locks which are most likely never gonna happen.

Its sometimes good to know where some of these new attacks are coming from. Even if you haven't been drilling it alot and aren't acustomed to using it. You will be able to recognise these submissions or their setups before its too late.

I dont agree with the TS at all. I believe in learning every technique that you can get your hands on, or else you'll be inherently limiting your own expression in the martial arts. That being said someone tried to catch me with a gogo last time I rolled, and it made me laugh. It was almost like he was saying "yeah, this is how bad I think you are".

At least you'll know how to espace/avoid these "useless" subs. I've only trained for 6 months but go for gogos, twisters etc. all the time. Sure enough it fails almost every time, but I still try them :)

Because Jiu Jitsu is fun... I mean have you ever caught anyone with a gogoplata. It's a pretty good feeling. I mean jiu jitsu wouldn't be as fun if you didn't have the freedom to try things that interest you and that you think are cool. I can totally understand your view. Newbs should focus of fundamentals like guard passing and position rather than trying to gogoplatas. Does that mean they shouldn't try them? Not at all. Focusing on fundamentals is important but it is the progressiveness and innovation of jiu jitsu that make it what it is today

Back