Penn & Teller - Greatest Illusionists?

I love Bullshit. Their new show is pretty lame in comparison though, I wish they went back to the format.

They're awesome though. I do think that their politics are pretty spot on a lot of the time. I wish we had a UK version.

I never get why people are so against chiropractors. They treat it like it's a scam. How is it any different than a firm massage?
Well, there's different levels of crazy in the chiropractic community. Some of them are absolutely bonkers (all diseases can be healed by adjusting your spine), while others somewhat sensible (let's stick to back problems). The basis for it is absolute BS though, make no mistake.

According to studies chiropractic can offer relief with only some back problems and even then the help is on-par with that offered by conventional physical therapy. So, why would anyone choose this form of treatment with all its pseudo-science baggage?

Either way, if you choose to try it, you should at least tell them not to do that crazy, dangerous cracky thing with your neck. It's demonstrably risky and not beneficial at all.

magic.jpg
When he finally revealed his face he looked like Gene Simmons

Penn is entertaining as all hell, I was in stitches throughout the whole performance. I've seen a fair bit of Criss Angel and Copperfield and am sad that I didn't discover Penn & Teller sooner.

I hear Criss Angel does a terrible live show also, anyone been to his gig in Vegas or anywhere else to verify?

They do some pretty amazing stuff. Some of my favorite routines are when they just blatantly show and explain to you what they're doing and you still can't fucking figure it out. The balls in clear cup routine is a good example.

Copperfield is overrated imo.

In magic, I'll give you that.
-But Copperfield was a great showman in person.
He was charming, funny, and you got to admit, brought a real angle of class/dignity.

Nobody today would try to fly on wires and pass it off as magic, but David made a pretty awesome presentation for that time.

In magic, I'll give you that.
-But Copperfield was a great showman in person.
He was charming, funny, and you got to admit, brought a real angle of class/dignity.

Nobody today would try to fly on wires and pass it off as magic, but David made a pretty awesome presentation for that time.

I mean, his illusions are phenomenal generally. Certainly an all time great. But I don't think he automatically takes spot #1 like he gets sometimes. A lot of it is just his style/presentation. Dude comes off as gay for a reason. He's obviously a smart dude. Stopped doing TV specials at just the right time. Nowadays that shit would just get posted on the internet and "debunked" in hours or less.

I don't mean to say he's not great, and Ive never seen a show in person. But it just got to the point where it seemed like his show was like 4 tricks stretched out into 90 minutes with accompanying orchestral theme and flashing blue backlighting. And the last couple things I saw were pretty disappointing. CGI on TV, the whole "In the center of a tube of fire" that lasted half a second, etc. Maybe his stage shows are better.

His stage shows were really appealing, and he did a lot of them.
It was "show" and you got your money's worth with the production values.

-I wouldn't rank him #1 either, but still, he was pretty on top in his era.

They do some pretty amazing stuff. Some of my favorite routines are when they just blatantly show and explain to you what they're doing and you still can't fucking figure it out. The balls in clear cup routine is a good example.

I saw him as a kid. He was allright then. He got out at the right time and peaked with Claudia. Can't hate a guy for that.

I saw him as a kid. He was allright then. He got out at the right time and peaked with Claudia. Can't hate a guy for that.

Agreed. He got out at the right time which is why he still carries his aura of mystique. Penn and Teller on the other hand still manage to blow your mind even when they show you how the trick was done.

There's a great YouTube video of how they do the disappearing cell which appears in a fish. I'd post it but don't know how on my iPad :(

i first saw then in that run dmc video. then, years later, became a fan of their show, "bullshit!".

Penn & Teller is easily the best famous act in the world right now, imo.

Copperfield blew my mind though, I think in '96 in Eugene. Really cool shit.

they are satanist, i heard how they talked about the bible, its a disgrace

168672e-1.jpg

but seriously they were wrong about chiropractic... chiropractor fixed my shoulder in 5min

Not Satanist... Atheists. Considering how they talk about the bible and Christianity though I can see where you would feel that way.
I personally am a Christian and hated all their episodes & podcasts on religion; but to each their own. Their magic is awesome and the rest of the time they are pretty much spot on with my philosophies so I chose let them slide for it.
I LOVED their episode on Circumcision; even if it was a bit too graphic and phallic at times; was about bloody time someone stood up and said that.

P&T don't need camera edits and planted stooges to pull off their tricks. CA is a no-talent hack.

Agreed! There have been a few t.v. shows. I forget which ones now; but CSI type shows (if not actually CSI) that poked fun of Criss Angel. Cracked me up!

Funny thing about calling Penn & Teller brilliant while calling Chriss Angel a no-talent hack is that Penn would call you an idiot for saying that. Teller would just wag his finger sternly.

Penn is a funny guy.

Agreed. He got out at the right time which is why he still carries his aura of mystique. Penn and Teller on the other hand still manage to blow your mind even when they show you how the trick was done.

There's a great YouTube video of how they do the disappearing cell which appears in a fish. I'd post it but don't know how on my iPad :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWKAbSNvxBk

Sorry, still a noob after all these years, no clue how to embed... Is this your video?

Angel does feel like his stuff depends on camera tricks and crap like that a lot, though.

Wanna hear something stupid? Penn & Teller played in my hometown and I didn't go. The drive was 20 minutes max.

Back