Peak Johny Hendricks would have destroyed the best moderns Welterweights

I think he just lost his motivation and discipline.

He always blew up between fights but once he lost the title he didn't have the drive to get back to the top of the mountain and half assed his career after that.

When he was on his run he was fantastic starching Fitch, Koscheck and Kampmann and picking up wins over Condit, Lawler, TJ Grant and gave GSP the toughest fight of his career.

In his prime he was an absolute nightmare for anyone in the division.

I'd absolutely pick him in his prime over Woodley if you look at their performances.
I think you're right about all that but that Steroids were also a big factor.

He did destroy gsp n made him retire in his prime
He went to a split decision with a GSP who was already wanting to retire and looked like shit (also looked terrible in his last fight before that against Diaz.)

Peak Hendricks struggled mightily against Condit and would have probably lost a five rounder. I know it hurts to admit the game has moved on, has better athletes now with access to better training, better dieting and a wealth of knowledge as to what works and what does not work, but the reality is that it has. No way I see Hendricks beating Usman or King Chaos: they would cancel his wrestling and out cardio him, drown him and have much better striking. I think the reality is we now have the best welterweights ever, but since we've no time machine, it is all just conjecture.

348s.jpg

When he was on that run he looked pretty unbeatable. Crazy how fast it seemed like overnight he just went completely down hill.
Yeah it was nuts. Losing the title in a talent stacked division is one thing but he went 2-5 after losing the title. On paper he had the skills to stay relevant for a long time since KO power and elite wrestling tend to age well. But he just fell apart. Really hard not to think it was USADA that did him in but I also think it was poor discipline, he really should've never been at MW.

I was a big fan of Hendricks before he turned into a raging fatass but this revisionism of him as some kind of invincible destroyer of worlds is fucking hilarious. He had suspect cardio that caused him to throwaway two title fights, was quite hittable, and struggled with most of the wrestlers he faced. You motherfuckers act like you've only seen highlight reels of Hendricks that show his Fitch and Kampmann KOs.

Peak Hendricks struggled mightily against Condit and would have probably lost a five rounder. I know it hurts to admit the game has moved on, has better athletes now with access to better training, better dieting and a wealth of knowledge as to what works and what does not work, but the reality is that it has. No way I see Hendricks beating Usman or King Chaos: they would cancel his wrestling and out cardio him, drown him and have much better striking. I think the reality is we now have the best welterweights ever, but since we've no time machine, it is all just conjecture.

Its certainly just especulation when you have 42 years old / 15 years as a pro Demian Maia among best modern WWs, Woodley #1, and Lawler who has been around almost since twentieth century still ranked #10

I see your pic of that beautifully presented platter of A1-quality 3-Michelin-star level and i'll raise you.....

View attachment 712371
Lolol

I feel super white trash now cuz some of that food actually looks good to me now. Looks like they picked up their game after all the bad reviews and atleast got rectangular gourmet plates from AKIA, added more color to the baked pot8o and were trying to be 'all fancy like'.

o.jpg

But bruh, this salad is so ghettoly pathetic. They aint even trying, just buying the cheap pre mixed iceberg $1 Walmart stuff and the ghetto Italian dressing, too lazy to even make their own vinaigrette.

nfhSagNqSJ8BjziqeCelnpcequ-LrCm2-3VRuQ9z7wk.jpg

But who would guess this guy would make poor financial decisions and has e poor taste tho? <45>

a84a3bd40c1b9b8d2a538f7dee0f5a40_crop_north.jpg

Johnny Hendricks was good, but he was hardly some unstoppable beast. He should have got the upset against GSP but outside of that he was always very beatable.

I think Usman beats Hendricks. Now Woodley/Hendricks would be interesting. Prime for prime that’s a 50/50 fight

Now that I think about it Hendricks would give Usman all kinds of problems.

Its certainly just especulation when you have 42 years old / 15 years as a pro Demian Maia among best modern WWs, Woodley #1, and Lawler who has been around almost since twentieth century still ranked #10
That's a good point, tho I think the details is revealing:

Maia: is one of the only Uber elite Brazilian jiu jitsu guys that learned to wrestle and learned intelligent striking defense. Maia never relied on just athleticism, had great fight IQ and did not take tremendous wear and tear like Pele Landi or Wand.

Lawler: dropped from MW where he was too small, underwent a Anderson Silva like transformation (wink -wink) and got better as he got older, has been pretty fairly average under USADA but also had the sprawl and brawl style to give wrestlers that dominated welterweight problems. Lawyer also stopped hard sparring and accredited that to his resurgence, which is like Maia who does not take unnecessary damage in spars (i.e. "update the software without damage to hardware").

Woodley: super great genetics like other guys with great longevity (DC/Yoel), great wrestling base like DC and Yoel too, specifically dedicated lots of time to learning there craft of dat sic nasty hand game (again i.e. DC/Yoel), played the game very conservatively - even accused of being excessively boring, and sat out for long periods of time and complained to get his shots. Again we see fight IQ and smarter preparation/lack of wear and tear and updating the skillset plays an important role here/

There are just certain fighters that age well, both because of genetics, style and investing in to their careers, and others that do not. Just look at Mini Phil Baroni, aka Mike Perry: if you treat it like ghetto wars and not a career based athletic craft, your career and chin will resemble a ghetto war and you'll lose more often than winning. Being smart, cautious even, and improving with the game is so important. A guy like Pig-Pigg did not invest in his health like GSP and only cared to win a title and then stopped caring - he's akin to the guy that scores the chick but can not keep her. There is a reason a guy like him beat Askren in high school, was much more talented, but Askren out performed him in college and beyond because of his brain.

I said peak Hendricks.

Regardless his KO power is still more than the top WW guys.
Who cares though? If you charged him, he starched you, if you didn’t he jumped your leg and did nothing effective with it, and the obvious, as soon as USADA came and as soon as they took
Away IVs, he looked like an amateur overnight.

I doubt he was on anything. A sequence of bad decisions and events led to his downfall. He had a nasty bicep surgery, left his team and those 50 minutes with Robbie probably took years off his career. That shit was outwordly

Back