Peak Bones vs Peak Shogun

Imagine Jones in Pride with no drug testing, and knees on the ground.

Yeah, but keep in mind that Shogun wasn't (and isn't) exactly in his prime. Been through too many wars and injuries.

Jones would win, but it'd be a helluva lot more competetive than some fanboys make it out to be.
Shogun's style simply doesn't match up well with Jones', prime or not. And he's giving up a ton of size/reach. Jones wins 10/10. And honestly I don't think Shogun was any further away from his prime than Jon was at that point. Shogun was the champ, let's not act like he was a washed up bum. And Jones was just shy of 3 years into his career.

2005 Pride Grand Prix Shogun vs 2015 DC fight Jones

If they met in the UFC, I'd take Jones to wrestle his way to a decision win, although he'd have to walk through fire early, and defend against sub attempts late. The UFC environment really suits a wrestler like JBJ, and I think his strength and control would gradually wear Shogun down. Would be a great fight.

If they met in Pride, I'm really not sure who would win. The different ruleset and environment would make for a different fight. I can see Jones winning via nasty elbows in the clinch and the occasional TD, but I can also see Jones getting trapped on the feet and being unable to deal with Shogun's ferocious attacks and getting broken down. I think JBJ would find Pride a very different world. Circling away into space from the attacks of Rashad and Machida is just not the same proposition at all as being trapped inside a ring with a peak version of Shogun or (roided to the gills) Wanderlei, where you cant elbow on the ground but can get soccerkicked right in the mush.

Best analysis in this thread. I agree.

hahahaha... it'd be worse than the time they actually fought. Since Jones was still coming along when he obliterated Shogun.

Hahaha... Shogun, you guys crack me up.

Bones by forcing opponent to tap after absolute destruction, Rd 2.

Peak Jones is right now and peak Shogun was probably around 2005. The Jones that beat shogun was an mma baby. A small pup that had only been training mma for a couple of years. Nothing refined in his game but his size and creativity. The Jones of today can out wrestle an olympic wrester and strike with strikers.

Shogun would get mauled by almost any version of Jones except brand new to MMA, fighting to put food on the table Jones.

Fight looks the same, maybe just without the tap at the end

Bones.

Literally the worst possible matchup for Shogun and to put icing on the cake, it's the LHW GOAT with that style.

But it would be competitive though.

Shogun, despite being the second best Light Heavyweight the sport has seen, would not have beaten the Jones that fought him at any point in his career.

In that first fight, when Jones had Shogun against the cage and was teeing off against him, I was wondering what was the reason Jones stepped back and went all the way back to the middle of the cage for. Do you guys feel he could've finished it there? Or was was he trying to conserve energy?

Bones would win and people would say shogun wasn't at his peak

Shogun was a great fighter but Jones is GOAT and he would make it look easy.

Jones would murder any version of Shogun.

I think shogun would have made it to the end, maybe won a few rounds but lose the decision. Jones is really good.

Prime shogun had better movement, cardio, and speed then now, but he probably still would have lost the fight, just dont think it woulda been a TKO.

But lets be real, Shogun would end up on his back, and he would be the one getting soccer kicked. That's right up Jones' alley.

Exactly, people don't realize the rules work both ways. It would open up some terrible weapons for Jones

Back