Peak Bones vs Peak Shogun

Gregoire1

дезоксерибонулеиновая кислота
@purple
Reaction score
If their fight was different than actual one then both were in their prime?

Yes, Bones would flash knockout Shogun in the first round, because Mauricio would be hot-headed and overconfident.

Any version of Shogun isn't as good as Bones. The fight probably would have been a little bit more competitive though.

2005 Shogun would probably have taken it to a decision, maybe. I'd still pick Jones because I feel he is at least 205 GOAT if not overall GOAT. 2005 Shogun though was a beast. That might not be enough though.

Jones and it wouldn't be close. Keep in mind that was a young Jon Jones that whooped Shogun.

I'd still say Jones, but it would be more competitive. I think Shogun is just to wild.

Shogun wouldn't be able to dictate where the fight goes. Whether it's a caught kick or clinch trips. Whenever Jones decides to bring it to the ground Shogun would have very little to offer. His half guard game would be gameplanned against perfectly and shut down at each turn(like it was already).

Rua would just be absorbing damage and expending energy trying to minimize it or escape back to the feet. It might not be as lopsided a beatdown but 2005 Shogun would get beat up as well.

Jones and it wouldn't be close. Keep in mind that was a young Jon Jones that whooped Shogun.

Yup, JBJ has improved a lot since he won the title enough so that any version of Shogun just wouldn't be able to compete.

Jon on his worst beats prime Shogun and it's not a knock on Shogun. Just a really bad stylistic matchup for Shogun.

Jones by decision. Under pride rules no elbows Rua will have a better chance but I think Jones still wins.

as a big shogun fan, and no fan of jones, though respect his skills...

jones takes it 9 out of 10 times... i leave the one time cos anything can happen at this level, and also because of a big shogun fan.

You mean peak Shogun who had no take down defense?

Yeah he'd still lose... You gotta have great striking, great cardio, great take down defense, and basically be Gus or Rumble to beat Jones.

We're talking a jacked Shogun in Pride, or deflated Shogun in the UFC?

No version of Shogun beats Jon Jones.
When was this peak shogun anyways? The 23 year old who won the 2005 GP following a extremely close fight with lil nog? Was he already out of his prime two years later when he, at age 25, lost to Forrest?
Or did he re-enter his peak when he beat Machida, but somehow exit it when he got his face pushed in a year later by 41 year old Dan Henderson?

People, especially Shogun nuthuggers, tend to glorify the past to a delusional degree.

Yeah, but keep in mind that Shogun wasn't (and isn't) exactly in his prime. Been through too many wars and injuries.

Jones would win, but it'd be a helluva lot more competetive than some fanboys make it out to be.

Cracked out, non training bones beats prime shogun

Before the Rampage fight.. Arona fight. After watching some of Jones recent fights I wouldn't doubt Jones getting Ko'd by half the people he beat in their primes though. Prime Chuck Liddell would Ko Jones after watching that Glover fight. People glorify the present way more. They forget the past.

You do realize that the Rampage to Arona fight was literally the stretch of the 2005 GP? So Shogun was in his prime at age 23 for all of 5 months? Is that how you justify his following losses?
There is no way Jones loses to any version of Chuck or Rampage, they are far far to slow.

Prime Jones wrestlefucks any version of Shogun any day of the week. Sorry, but he's just a bad matchup for Mauricio.

Back