Peak Bones vs Peak Shogun

Shogun trained by Michael Giovanni would toy with Jones in a rematch, Jones would be hitting nothing but air while Shogun would land at will.

Healthy Shogun is great, but Jones is better.

Jon still wins this fight at any time

Before the Rampage fight.. Arona fight. After watching some of Jones recent fights I wouldn't doubt Jones getting Ko'd by half the people he beat in their primes though. Prime Chuck Liddell would Ko Jones after watching that Glover fight. People glorify the present way more. They forget the past.

i don't care for jones, always rooted against him... but the hate in you is something else, blinding in fact...

The Jones that fought Shogun isn't "prime Jon Jones" by the way.

I think people are discounting prime shoguns speed and conditioning. I agree that bones would win every second in the ground but I think it would be very competitive

If their fight was different than actual one then both were in their prime?

2005 Pride Grand Prix Shogun vs 2015 DC fight Jones

If they met in the UFC, I'd take Jones to wrestle his way to a decision win, although he'd have to walk through fire early, and defend against sub attempts late. The UFC environment really suits a wrestler like JBJ, and I think his strength and control would gradually wear Shogun down. Would be a great fight.

If they met in Pride, I'm really not sure who would win. The different ruleset and environment would make for a different fight. I can see Jones winning via nasty elbows in the clinch and the occasional TD, but I can also see Jones getting trapped on the feet and being unable to deal with Shogun's ferocious attacks and getting broken down. I think JBJ would find Pride a very different world. Circling away into space from the attacks of Rashad and Machida is just not the same proposition at all as being trapped inside a ring with a peak version of Shogun or (roided to the gills) Wanderlei, where you cant elbow on the ground but can get soccerkicked right in the mush.

Jones is maybe the worst stylistic matchup for Shogun that you could imagine. When Jones beat Shogun, Jones wasn't even at his prime yet. He might not even be at his prime still.

Jones is a PHENOMENAL wrestler (especially defensively) and controls distance incredibly well (even without eyepokes) while still landing his significant strikes, while Shogun is more of a powerful, technical brawler with decent takedowns and decent submissions.

Shogun at his best is always an underdog to Jones, even if Jones isn't at his best. At their primes, Jones is the perfect example of someone who could beat the shit out of Shogun...like he did.

Jones is simply a much better fighter than Shogun and destroys every version of him with ease.

Imagine Jones in Pride, juiced to the gills and throwing knees to the head on the ground. *Shudders*

At first I thought with Pride rules Shogun would have more of a chance but it benefits Jones as well.

Back