Pavlik water-cooler talk

MC Paul Barman

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Today 3 people have talked to me about Kelly Pavlik and his fight this past weekend.
Three people that, for as much as I know, are not boxing fans. It's kind of cool. I'm known as the boxing fan on this floor so it's cool to see people taking notice.

It's just funny that prior to the fight the commentators were talking about if there will be any water cooler discussions about this fight. I wasn't by the water cooler, but people are taking notice of his presence.

Perhaps it's not too surprising; I heard on a British prefight presentation that the major American newspapers were sending their feature writers to the fight and noted that Kelly is starting to gain Hatton-like status due to his packs of traveling fans, everyman persona, etc.

I hope Pavlik's exposure blows up because that will make a Zag/Ghost fight more likely. Zag wants to fight an established star that will bring PPV numbers and so far Kelly hasn't delivered. Of course, the Kimbo/Tank PPV being on the same night as Taylor/Pavlik II had a little to do with the disappointing returns on that fight, but people sometimes don't take the entertainment competition into account when analyzing a boxer's drawing power.

Zaglik could be huge with creative marketing.

It was crazy how quick Lockett's face was starting to bruise up. ... all of the blood welts on his forehead too.

Kelly has brought some energy to boxing. As he continues to win his star will continue to rise. He is a blue collar type guy kind of cut from the mold of old school fighters. Fans all over seem to be interested in him but easterners in particular in that Atlantic city area see him as the guy to supplant the void that Gatti left when he retired.

He looked like he'd been hit with a bat.

His knees must have hurt by the end as well.

HAHA...
that's a good way to put it.

Russie said:

Kelly has brought some energy to boxing.

Indeed he has. A few years back I was so excited for Lacy and Taylor. The abuse Lacy took from Calzaghe was depressing.... and Taylor hadn't looked impressive since Edouard.
I was thinking that if these two guys couldn't spark some life (***for fans interested in seeing an exciting american*** edit**) then it was going to be a long time before someone in those divisions could. Then comes Pavlik out of nowhere. Can't remember if Zuniga or McKart was the 1st fight of his I caught but I was kind of impressed. Then his wins over Zertuche and especially Miranda really caused me to take some interest.
Thankfully the excitement that was Pavlik v Miranda was enough to cloud out the stink fest that was Taylor v Spinks on that night.

he seems like the only american fighter at the moment, who is not ancient, or fighting on a casual/part time basis, that actually generates some real buzz. he's still very much a regional attraction, but ill take the passion of ohio/youngstown fans over media hype and glitz any day.

"The Ghost" has been my topic of discussion around the "water cooler" lately...probably my favorite boxer at the moment..always an exciting action packed performance from him..

Pavlik will soon lose by brutal KO and then everyone will say how overrated he was and we only enjoyed his fights because hes white.

edit- since some are too dense to understand this post, its about the hype surrounding Pavlik. Please read on before shitting your pants.

Its nice to have a fighter who is as ugly, bald, and pasty as i am kicking some ass. The only thing that sets me and Kelly apart is my lack of money and lack of skill. Other than that, we could be brothers seperated at birth.

Pavlik is by far my favorite fighter, in boxing OR mma, right now. If a couple serious contenders are able to step up in the next year or so he could do wonders for boxing.

Pavlik will soon lose by brutal KO and then everyone will say how overrated he was and we only enjoyed his fights because hes white.

because hes white? I think people enjoy his fights because he knocks the fuck out of people. Whos going to KO him anyways? Cal, give me a fuckin break.

because hes white? I think people enjoy his fights because he knocks the fuck out of people. Whos going to KO him anyways? Cal, give me a fuckin break.

In your post right before this you said exactly that. It was nice to see a fighter as pasty as you. Now you say give me a break?

Pavlik is going to get himself KOed. A style like Pavliks doesn't make for a long reigning champion, IMO.

In your post right before this you said exactly that. It was nice to see a fighter as pasty as you. Now you say give me a break?

Pavlik is going to get himself KOed. A style like Pavliks doesn't make for a long reigning champion, IMO.

He seems to be in good health and doesnt sound punchy or anything. And who is this monster puncher at MW thats going to KO him?

Saying i like him because he is as ugly, pasty, and bald as i am is obviously a joke. If he looked just like he does but acted like Mayweather i wouldnt be able to stand him. I also like Berto and Winky Wright. I obviously look nothing like them.

Either way it doenst matter why i like him. Explain to me who is going to "brutally KO" him? It could happen, but i highly doubt it. He has shown he can take a punch and i see no one in the near future who has the tools to really put him down like that.

He seems to be in good health and doesnt sound punchy or anything. And who is this monster puncher at MW thats going to KO him?

Look, Pavlik is far from elusive. So far he has been able to take whats given to him, but his chin is going to fail him soon. A pressure fighter with poor defense is not staying on top for long.

There are several good punchers floating around 160. Arthur Abraham?

i could care less that hes white..hes a damn a good fighter...

Seano, gotta disagree with you on this one.
Personally I don't care what his color is. I'm just glad that someone is generating interest - can you fault fans for that?
3-4 years ago it was Lacy and Taylor for this division... now it's Pavlik.
Couldn't use the same rationality there: "Lacy and taylor were overrated and we only enjoyed their fights because they were white."
Come on... you know there's more to it than you let on.

Seano, gotta disagree with you on this one.
Personally I don't care what his color is. I'm just glad that someone is generating interest - can you fault fans for that?
3-4 years ago it was Lacy and Taylor for this division... now it's Pavlik.
Couldn't use the same rationality there: "Lacy and taylor were overrated and we only enjoyed their fights because they were white."
Come on... you know there's more to it than you let on.

Its not just me. Every time I see a clip about Pavlik or hear commentary leading up to his fights, his color is brought up everytime.You guys act like youre hearing this from me for the first time.
BTW, I didn't enjoy lacy and taylors fights because they are white.:icon_lol:

Back