Palhares pronounciation

Joe Martinez nailed it IIRC. Just re-watch the intro to his last fight and you got it.

As a bonus, he also didn't mispronounce Toquinho (or, as Buffer would say, To-keen-ho)

His mama named him Paul Harris, Ima call him Paul Harris.

kT8FU.jpg

I think LH is in portuguese what LL is in spanish so the way they were pronouncing it yesterday was the correct way and no the usual "Pal Harris".

Its difficult to properly pronounce most foreign words because you need to completely change your accent and inflection and most people feel like a dufus doing that.

I think I heared they renamed Paul Harris to Paul Yaris yeasterday.

Pa-lha-res

The Pa is quite obviuous, just like the Pah.

The Lh is a very, very tricky phonem for foreigners. It's like a squeezed L, where the tongue goes just behind the teeth in the palatte.

Res is pronunced with the typical spanish R.

The easiest way for someone whose first language in English is paul-YAR-ez. I'm not sure how the last syllable is pronounced in your region of Brazil, but I grew up around a lot of Portuguese immigrants from the mainland and the Azores and they typically would pronounce the the "ez" with kind of a soft "z", almost like a "zh" sound. Do you guys say it like that, too? I'm curious.

Last edited:
The easiest way for someone whose first language in English is paul-YAR-ez. I'm not sure how the last syllable is pronounced in your region of Brazil, but I grew up around a lot of Portuguese immigrants from the mainland and the Azores and they typically would pronounce the the "ez" with kind of a soft "z", almost like a "zh" sound. Do you guys say it like that, too? I'm curious.
You are right about the "Zh" sound, but the Z has a different inflection at the suffix. Also, Portuguese, especially Azorians (Dutch influence), varies a lot from Brazilian Portuguese. Much more so than Brits, Australians, and Afrikkans do with Americans.

The "LH" in Portuguese sounds like the "double L" in Spanish.

"Pallares"

The guy pronounced Mancunians "Manc00nians" during the Brendan-Mike Smashes fight so I wouldn't read too much in to it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back