Pain Tolerance?

Elephino

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Last night, Michael Venom Page crushed the nose of Derek Anderson with a kick.
Anderson staggered for a second, then charged in to keep the fight going.
Derek-Anderson-2.jpg
I'm always amazed at the damage that some fighters receive without showing an ounce of pain.
Yeah liver kicks have that slight delayed effect.
It's incredible and kind of funny when a fighter can take elbows to the face no problem but an eye poke drops them.
Groin strikes obviously.
Leg breaks duh.
And I understand the effects of adrenaline and everything, but I wonder:

Do professional fighters have to learn/train pain tolerance or is it just that a person with a naturally strong tolerance for pain is more likely to be a successful fighter and make it to Bellator/UFC/etc.?

I would love to hear from people who have actually competed but anyone can chime in of course.

View attachment 853122
I'm always amazed at the damage that some fighters receive without showing an ounce of pain.
It's incredible and kind of funny when a fighter can take elbows to the face no problem but an eye poke drops them.
Groin strikes obviously.
Leg breaks duh.

Do professional fighters have to learn/train pain tolerance or is it just that a person with a naturally strong tolerance for pain is more likely to be a successful fighter and make it to Bellator/UFC/etc.?

I would love to hear from people who have actually competed but anyone can chime in of course.
Jiri went through some kind of pain ritual where shaman was rubbing chilli into his eyes. So some of fighters train/test their "limits".

View attachment 853122
Groin strikes obviously.
Leg breaks duh.

You do gain a higher pain tolerance during training over years and years ... But majority of what happens in the fight is masked by adrenaline and the fight and flight response built into you as human..

Adrenaline has its limits though...and that's were will comes into play so people can just push through stuff cuz they have a strong mind or simply stop caring ..out of sight out of mind...its kinda like when you get a cut and dont realize it and you only feel the pain once you see your cut...had you never paid it any mind you would of never known you were cut...its a similar things some guys can disconnect from what happening to there body and keep going...

Anger plays a factor too...some dudes fight angry and that helps masks pain..its kinda like beast mode but it only works in small batches... And often exhausts the person

I have terrible pain tolerance. Think my skin / joints are made from glass.
Tattoos killed me.

Scott Smith vs Pete Sell for an example of pain and finding a way thru it. There’s plenty of others, that’s just one that popped into my pea brain

View attachment 853122
Groin strikes obviously.
Leg breaks duh.

Iv had a broken wrist, hand, fractured orbital socket, MCL tear and broken nose all in one fight and the last thing i wanted to do was quit because of those injuries. But i have been liver kicked and my body gave me no choice in the matter. I definitely thing being nvolved in combat sports for over 35 years has given me a level a toughness. Though being a 51 year old now i am not super motivated to be punched in the face by someone throwning %100.

Iv had a broken wrist, hand, fractured orbital socket, MCL tear and broken nose all in one fight and the last thing i wanted to do was quit because of those injuries. But i have been liver kicked and my body gave me no choice in the matter. I definitely thing being nvolved in combat sports for over 35 years has given me a level a toughness. Though being a 51 year old now i am not super motivated to be punched in the face by someone throwning %100.

Are liver shots defined as a KO I wonder. Because they should be. It’s basically like an off button like the chin.

there have been people stabbed near fifty times and they kept fighting back. adrenaline is a powerful drug.
conditioning and sparring some helps your body know how to react to getting hit or shocked too. your muscles tense up faster your reflexes to being hit get better.

General fisticuffs pain is ez pz compared tickling…

unless of course certain breaks happen then everything changes immediately

Are liver shots defined as a KO I wonder. Because they should be. It’s basically like an off button like the chin.
Yea liver kick stoppage is defined as a KO.
Goes to show how bad liver shots are. We've seen the biggest and baddest guys shut-off in seconds from them.

Lesnar got dropped i think Mark Hunt was stopped in K-1 from a liver kick,

Some are born with it, others develop it.

personally I have nerve damage so I don’t feel pain.

my best friend crawled off a building as a baby and landed face first. Survived by a miracle but lost an eye and has permanent nerve damage.

He feels absolutely no pain or bodily discomfort. It sounded amazing originally but then I saw that he has to keep a timer to tell him to eat. He’s like 5 10 and 125lbs. Never feels hunger.

so weird. Sorry for random vent

my best friend crawled off a building as a baby and landed face first. Survived by a miracle but lost an eye and has permanent nerve damage.

He feels absolutely no pain or bodily discomfort. It sounded amazing originally but then I saw that he has to keep a timer to tell him to eat. He’s like 5 10 and 125lbs. Never feels hunger.

so weird. Sorry for random vent
Damn that’s a rough hand to be dealt. Kinda feel bad now for the joke lmao.

Damn that’s a rough hand to be dealt. Kinda feel bad now for the joke lmao.

don’t feel bad he’s fucken rich and won a 16 million dollar lawsuit.

his sister is a level 10 dime piece too but his wife looks like dog shit.

his sister has nothing to do with anything but her hotness had to be put on record

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back