"Pacquiao Syndrome" in MMA?

Shogun was Machida's Marquez with his controversal loss and then KTFO Machida in their rematch. And coincidently both Pacquiao and Machida started better in the fight they were KO'd in comparison to the other controversal fights.

I think the closest you'll ever get to that in mainstream MMA is Big Nog vs. Fedor, but without Fedor losing. All 3 fights were great fights, but Fedor emerged victorious all 3 times in hotly contested bouts. Tito vs. Shamrock were largely one-sided affairs. Outside of those two series of fights, I can't think of any where one fighter has simply hounded another who is considered to be unbeatable in match after match.

Sakuraba was beating Brazilians left and right, then he met Wanderlei Silva. The Brazilian killer killed by a Brazilian.

My best, rushed guess is Rampage/Liddell.

Shogun was Machida's Marquez with his controversal loss and then KTFO Machida in their rematch. And coincidently both Pacquiao and Machida started better in the fight they were KO'd in comparison to the other controversal fights.
Good comparison. It's pretty much the same thing, but with half the fights.
Jon Jones VS Lightpost
You sir have won this thread! Good day to you good sir!

BJ and Frankie Edgar.
Couture and Chuck Liddell.
Chuck Liddell and Rampage.

Before they declined, of course.

Pac was once an unstoppable force in boxing, and was thought as the fighter who could match up well against Floyd. However, during his winning streak, he had one arch nemesis who is simply his stylistic nightmare, which is Marquez.

Is there a fighter in the UFC who was thought to be almost invincible in his prime against everybody, except for that one opponent?

He was never going to match up well against Floyd. That was all media hype, combined with the fact that a large chunk of the mainstream public wants to see Floyd lose. Pacquiao's pressing and at times loose style would have been picked apart by Floyd leading to an easy decision.

???

Honestly, I always thought Pacquiao was wildly overrated, and that Floyd would embarrass him badly if they were ever to fight. Pacquiao looks sloppy and gets himself punched in the face all the time, in all of his fights.

When I first heard about Pac-Man and watched a few of his fights, my reaction was "...Seriously? This must be the wrong guy... Why do people think he's the best in the world?".

The whole "Pacquiao P4P #1" thing was ludacris. Mayweather would have decisioned him easily without taking a punch.

On topic :

Frankie over BJ (Penn looked unstoppable at LW)
Chuck over Tito (Tito was considered a dominant champ back then)

Hard to find good examples because few fighters keep that unbeatable image for long

He was never going to match up well against Floyd. That was all media hype, combined with the fact that a large chunk of the mainstream public wants to see Floyd lose. Pacquiao's pressing and at times loose style would have been picked apart by Floyd leading to an easy decision.

Proofs in the pudding. Floyd wanted no part of Manny and his camp new Manny would be a tough challenge and most likely beat him. Somebody who calls himself Money but would take the biggest payday in boxing history. Dont let this loss fool you Marquez is Manny's cryptonite.

Chael Sonnen/Jeremy Horn

(Chael is obviously far from "invincible", just the first one I thought of)

Proofs in the pudding. Floyd wanted no part of Manny and his camp new Manny would be a tough challenge and most likely beat him. Somebody who calls himself Money but would take the biggest payday in boxing history. Dont let this loss fool you Marquez is Manny's cryptonite.

Thats a load of crap perpetuated by the media. The problem with the whole Manny Pacquiao v Floyd scenario is that Manny brought with him a hoard of fans who had no idea about boxing outside Manny Pacquiao.

The number one reason behind the Pacman v Mayweather fight not going ahead was a reluctance for blood testing. The problems occured when Bob Arum (Pacquiao's promoter) essentially started deflecting and he is an expert at it.

There are dozens of reasons as to why Pacman submitting to blood tests was neccesary if you have followed his career. The reluctance of blood tests funnily enough have been Pacman's undoing seeing as his last two bouts with Marquez have seen Marquez join forces with the former head of BALCO labs as his 'nutritionist'.

Irrespective of whatever the media hype anyone has brought into, a legitimate fight between Mayweather v Pacquiao would always lead to a Mayweather win.

That's the truth. Mayweather is definitely a far superior boxer, but Manny is an incredibly talented puncher. Even with his recent loss, I'm sure that Money-Pac would be one hell of a fight, but that's all just wishful thinking because the window for that fight has passed. If Mayweather-Alvarez gets signed I think that fight will be very similar, and I'm curious to see how Mayweather handles someone that aggressive with amazing punching ability that isn't afraid to eat a shot.

Last edited:
Marquez beat him one out of four times. Not exactly having someones number. If you fight the same person enough times you are bound to get different results. Pacman beats Marquez 6-8 out of 10 times.

Wikipedia-fan spotted.

That's the truth. Mayweather is definitely a far superior boxer, but Manny is an incredibly talented puncher. Even with his recent loss, I'm sure that Money-Pac would be one hell of a fight, but that's all just wishful thinking because the window for that fight has passed. If Mayweather-Alvarez gets signed I think that fight will be very similar, and I'm curious to see how Mayweather handles someone that aggressive with amazing punching ability that isn't afraid to eat a shot.

Sounds similar to a prime Ricky Hatton

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back