"Pacquiao Syndrome" in MMA?

Sounds similar to a prime Ricky Hatton

Hatton was great, yes, but he didn't put punches together nearly as well as Pac or Canelo. Even though it's exactly what was supposed to happen, the combinations that Canelo threw against Lopez were just brutal.

Hatton was great, yes, but he didn't put punches together nearly as well as Pac or Canelo. Even though it's exactly what was supposed to happen, the combinations that Canelo threw against Lopez were just brutal.

He also hit a hell of a lot harder than Canelo.

You're also forgetting Diego Corrales, Zab Judah, Marquez and various other great volume punchers with power behind their shots that Floyd has dominated.

He also hit a hell of a lot harder than Canelo.

You're also forgetting Diego Corrales, Zab Judah, Marquez and various other great volume punchers with power behind their shots that Floyd has dominated.

I'm not saying that Canelo could beat Mayweather today, but I do think he poses a bigger threat than those listed and Pacquiao. He's huge for 154lb and still has incredible handspeed. If he can keep pressure on Mayweather he can do some damage on the inside, probably not enough however. And just for the record, even if he loses to Mayweather right now, Canelo Alvarez is the next boxing superstar.

I'm not saying that Canelo could beat Mayweather today, but I do think he poses a bigger threat than those listed and Pacquiao. He's huge for 154lb and still has incredible handspeed. If he can keep pressure on Mayweather he can do some damage on the inside. And just for the record, even if he loses to Mayweather right now, Canelo Alvarez is the next boxing superstar.

Pacquaio is tailor-made for Floyd to KO, but i think you're right in that he poses a decent threat to Floyd. I think it's a great fight, cant wait.

I'm high on Alavrez as well. I think he gets outclassed here, but he should put up a good fight.

Pac was once an unstoppable force in boxing, and was thought as the fighter who could match up well against Floyd. However, during his winning streak, he had one arch nemesis who is simply his stylistic nightmare, which is Marquez.

Is there a fighter in the UFC who was thought to be almost invincible in his prime against everybody, except for that one opponent?

I don't know if Marquez can be considered Pacquiao's "nightmare" when Pacquiao has won two, drawn one and lost one of their four meetings. I think a better example would be Shane Mosley and Vernon Forrest. Mosley was the undefeated world p4p#1 when he met massive underdog Forrest, and Forrest beat him very clearly and convincingly twice out of two fights. That's a much more suitable example. Pac and Marquez have had 3 razor-close fights and then 1 where Marquez was behind on all 3 cards and had been under pressure for the last 2 rounds before landing one amazing punch. All of this does not equal a "stylistic nightmare" at all.

I don't know if Marquez can be considered Pacquiao's "nightmare" when Pacquiao has won two, drawn one and lost one of their four meetings. I think a better example would be Shane Mosley and Vernon Forrest. Mosley was the undefeated world p4p#1 when he met massive underdog Forrest, and Forrest beat him very clearly and convincingly twice out of two fights. That's a much more suitable example. Pac and Marquez have had 3 razor-close fights and then 1 where Marquez was behind on all 3 cards and had been under pressure for the last 2 rounds before landing one amazing punch. All of this does not equal a "stylistic nightmare" at all.

Pacquiao's rise was hugely suspicious - The last two Marquez fights even more so. Marquez for his past two fights v Pacman has worked with the head of BALCO labs - responsible for the development of 'the clear'.

I think what we have seen is a couple of clean fights between the pair and a couple of dirty fights between the pair. Skill levels have been near enough equal.

Proofs in the pudding. Floyd wanted no part of Manny and his camp new Manny would be a tough challenge and most likely beat him. Somebody who calls himself Money but would take the biggest payday in boxing history. Dont let this loss fool you Marquez is Manny's cryptonite.

Bob arum Manny's promoter didn't want anything to do with mayweather . Mayweather was willing to negotiate a while back i think for the may 5th fight? He wanted to fight Manny that date but Bob Arum said no because of Manny's cuts and he wanted the fight on june but mayweather couldnt do that date because he already booked the may 5th date then he got arrested and Arum said he was willing and he got out on special term's and arum said it was to late. Also mayweather merked marquez in there fight even tho he was bigger than marquez he still beat him using his skills marquez had nothing for him in that fight. So if he's manny's kryptonite then what would mayweather be ?

Thats a load of crap perpetuated by the media. The problem with the whole Manny Pacquiao v Floyd scenario is that Manny brought with him a hoard of fans who had no idea about boxing outside Manny Pacquiao.

I know i hate when people talk about manny and they think there boxing experts when they dont even know what weight he fights at. Most of mayweathers fans are annoying also but some arent as stupid you know

Bob arum Manny's promoter didn't want anything to do with mayweather . Mayweather was willing to negotiate a while back i think for the may 5th fight? He wanted to fight Manny that date but Bob Arum said no because of Manny's cuts and he wanted the fight on june but mayweather couldnt do that date because he already booked the may 5th date then he got arrested and Arum said he was willing and he got out on special term's and arum said it was to late. Also mayweather merked marquez in there fight even tho he was bigger than marquez he still beat him using his skills marquez had nothing for him in that fight. So if he's manny's kryptonite then what would mayweather be ?

Marquez superior counter punching ability is what gives Manny problems. Floyd is essentially a far superior version of Marquez. The fight was always a money driven media beat up. The result was essentially a foregone conclusion which was covered up by the fact that Manny had a media circus of a hypetrain behind him

Marquez superior counter punching ability is what gives Manny problems. Floyd is essentially a far superior version of Marquez. The fight was always a money driven media beat up. The result was essentially a foregone conclusion which was covered up by the fact that Manny had a media circus of a hypetrain behind him

Exactly im pretty sure most people havent seen marquez fight anybody else Marquez is a amazing counter puncher but mayweather is also and he is also better in mostly everything else except for counterpunching also manny got tagged by right hands alot imagine all the lead right's mayweather would do and yea manny's hype is actually annoying now ha

I guess this is the time when Pacquiao naysayers can have some time under the Sun...

Crocop and Barnett, Barnett in many peoples eyes is and always has been the superior fighter, but he's lost to Cro Cop 3 times

Chuck and Rampage
Tito and Chuck
Maybe Cain and JDS after 155.

Juan Manuel Marquez is just an equally great fighter. It isn't all about the stylistic matchup, Marquez is just that good, period.

these Pacquiao/Mayweather talks always remind me of GSP/Silva for some reason

Back