Overeem vs Werdum and why it has nothing to do with fighting JDS

That fight proved Reem has so so cardio. JDS was a little gased in the 3rd round vs Nelson but nowhere near as Reem. I doubt this will be a factor if they ever fight but crazier things have happened.

The interesting thing about Overeem's fights is that they all look very different, it's impossible to know what kind of finish we'll get from him, he's done it all.

Testosterone increases the number of red blood cells you have, thickening the blood, not to mention all of the muscles it adds that need to be fed oxygen. Cardio could be a factor for sure, that would certainly be taken into account if JDS preps for GMOvereem.

i do believe that the Reem is JDS' biggest threat simply because it's a very hard fight to predict, and only proven way to beat JDS is beating him at his own game.

If JDS beats Reem and Cain, there is NO DOUBT that he is the greatest MMA heavyweight in history, imo.

Really good point TS, and I'm happy to see someone make it, all that "look how well Werdum did in the standup" bullshit kills me.

I gotta agree with the second part... I can't imagine JDS will be going for takedowns, he never has before against anyone

Carwin and Nelson

But that's only if the fight goes past the second round.

I have seen people bring up Overeem's fight with Werdum over and over again as a reason for why they believe JDS will beat Overeem. I do not understand why people bring up this fight as JDS and Werdum are polar opposites and Overeem's game plan against each of them would also be completely different. Can someone explain to me what these people are thinking, do they not realize that often times the threat of a takedown or going to the ground with a vastly superior ground fighter can dramatically change the stand up game, do they think JDS will be able to flop safely like Werdum did when Overeem was attempting to counter his strikes?

JDS can beat Overeem but I think Overeem is the favorite, but either way that fight goes it won't look anything like Overeem vs Werdum.

Images speak louder than words:

slomojdskoswerdum.gif

werdum11.gif

vrsj2u.gif

34xrlmp.gif

Oh yeah, and this too! :icon_lol:

reem_roids.jpeg

I have seen people bring up Overeem's fight with Werdum over and over again as a reason for why they believe JDS will beat Overeem. I do not understand why people bring up this fight as JDS and Werdum are polar opposites and Overeem's game plan against each of them would also be completely different. Can someone explain to me what these people are thinking, do they not realize that often times the threat of a takedown or going to the ground with a vastly superior ground fighter can dramatically change the stand up game, do they think JDS will be able to flop safely like Werdum did when Overeem was attempting to counter his strikes?

JDS can beat Overeem but I think Overeem is the favorite, but either way that fight goes it won't look anything like Overeem vs Werdum.

You're the first person I've heard compare the fights, and I find the comparison to be stupid as well.

Take from that what you'd like...

for the same reason people say "Hendo won't beat (insert name) just watch the Shields fight!"

Its pretty simple kid- Overeem ate shots all night and was outstruck in volume. So if he does that against JDS he will die...

Images speak louder than words:

slomojdskoswerdum.gif

werdum11.gif

vrsj2u.gif

34xrlmp.gif

Oh yeah, and this too! :icon_lol:

reem_roids.jpeg

Notice anything similar about all of those gifs from the Overeem vs Werdum fight? Werdum was trying to clinch in every single combo, Overeem wanted nothing to do with Werdum's grappling, if Werdum gets you down he can submit you within seconds, Overeem saw the Fedor fight and wasn't going to make the same mistake, the same threat isn't there in a potential JDS vs Werdum fight.

The Werdum that fought JDS was fat as hell and the Werdum that fought Overeem would have whooped his own fat ass worse than he did Roy Nelson.

I also want to add that if JDS tries that uppercut that he KOed Werdum with he will be waking up after eating a counter hook just like Rashad vs Liddell, long uppercuts are a horrible idea against a counter striker that has great short hooks, just look how close fat Werdum is to landing a counter without even looking.

Because people on Sherdog are usually fat and think about fighter's abilities as "power levels" like it is Pokemon or Dragonball Z instead of a reflection of how the entirety of the skillset functions and interacts (key word) against the other fighter's overall skillset.

They think fighters are pokemon and shit...

"Hmm...Werdum has a standup power level of 85 and Overeem barely outstruck him, giving him an 87...JDS has a standup power level of 95...since this will be a standup fight 95>87 = JDS wins!"

Or the reverse with Overeem's K1 striking victories.

That being said, I do think JDS is going to win. But the way people come to that conclusion is very strange sometimes.

Because people on Sherdog are usually fat and think about fighter's abilities as "power levels" like it is Pokemon or Dragonball Z instead of a reflection of how the entirety of the skillset functions and interacts (key word) against the other fighter's overall skillset.

They think fighters are pokemon and shit...

"Hmm...Werdum has a standup power level of 85 and Overeem barely outstruck him, giving him an 87...JDS has a standup power level of 95...since this will be a standup fight 95>87 = JDS wins!"

Or the reverse with Overeem's K1 striking victories.

That being said, I do think JDS is going to win. But the way people come to that conclusion is very strange sometimes.

Well put, I think its a close fight but I think Overeem has more tools and he is a better striker, plus there are some bad habits that JDS has that I think will put him in danger against Overeem but Overeem has a average chin for a HW and his cardio is a little below average so JDS can still win, either way I think someone is being finished when it happens.

True.

And Werdum-Dos Santos could have easily looked like Werdum-Overeem if Werdum decided to constantly flop on the ground over and over to avoid getting hit by Junior like he did against Overeem. Overeem was having an easier time with Crocop than Junior was but supposedly unbiased MMA analysts don't want to talk about that.

Last edited:

very good point . mma math does not work

JDS is no threat to Overeem on the ground what so ever and even the thought of that is absolutely ridiculous.

Overeem will not care one bit about any ground game of JDS. :icon_lol:

In fact there is a high chance that JDS gets taken down by Overeem and pounded on. Overeem has very underrated GNP and control.

Overeem beats JDS no matter where the fight goes.

Its pretty simple kid- Overeem ate shots all night and was outstruck in volume. So if he does that against JDS he will die...

LOLOLOL!!! Why would Overeem do that? JDS likely has the worst ground game in the UFC HW division. :icon_lol:

I agree obviously that Reem planned for a much different fight against Werdum than he will against JDS...but I think what most people are saying is that if JDS lands on Overeem as much as Werdum did, it will be lights out for Overeem.

That goes for Bigfoot too.

Yea Reems defense is not that great in MMA. In K-1 he relied heavily on blocking punches with his gloves, which isn't really that effective in MMA.

To be fair though JDS defense isn't really that great either. Many much lesser strikers than Reem have landed on JDS a lot too. Nelson, Cro Cop, Carwin.

I think JDS distinct advantage in that fight is that he has a more proven chin than the Reem. Still though Reem has the power to knock out any man alive, so I think the winner will be the person who can execute their offense first, as I don't think either have that great of defense.

There is no fight in Overeem's history that would make him a favorite.

He's certainly beaten far better strikers than JDS has. He also has nearly 20 sub wins.

The only way JDS beats Reem is if Reem gasses.

Back