Overeem vs Werdum and why it has nothing to do with fighting JDS

LOLOLOL!!! Why would Overeem do that? JDS likely has the worst ground game in the UFC HW division. :icon_lol:

What in the world do you base that assessment on?

If you want to be agnostic on the issue, fine.

But there is no positive evidence whatsoever that supports this.

Throwing punches only at a human punching bag isn't as tiring as stuffing shots, and standing up from like 20 guard pulls at the hands of a 245lbs ADCC champ. Werdum made Overeem carry his weight each time he flopped and tried to pull him down. It was much more of an ugly, grueling fight.

People who have never grappled or with no common sense would never know this and I have said this many times but the JDS fanboys like repeating their myths because it fits their theory.

What in the world do you base that assessment on?

If you want to be agnostic on the issue, fine.

But there is no positive evidence whatsoever that supports this.

JDS got subbed by a MW Joaquim Ferriera. JDS is a fish out of water on the ground and looks really awkward when he is there.

JDS got subbed by a MW Joaquim Ferriera. JDS is a fish out of water on the ground and looks really awkward when he is there.

Hmm...do you think he might have improved over the last 5+ years? You know...earning a black belt from Nog and all?

Do you think he might able to outgrapple the Pat Berrys of the HW division and therefore not have the weakest ground game?

You don't need to engage in ridiculousness or hyperbole.

Yea Reems defense is not that great in MMA. In K-1 he relied heavily on blocking punches with his gloves, which isn't really that effective in MMA.

To be fair though JDS defense isn't really that great either. Many much lesser strikers than Reem have landed on JDS a lot too. Nelson, Cro Cop, Carwin.

I think JDS distinct advantage in that fight is that he has a more proven chin than the Reem. Still though Reem has the power to knock out any man alive, so I think the winner will be the person who can execute their offense first, as I don't think either have that great of defense.

Overeem actually has really good defense he doesn't get hit clean very often and he blocks very differently in MMA to how he does in K-1.

http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/fighters/details/808

I looked up the top 10 and he has the second highest rating at 66% Defense meaning that 66% of his opponents strikes are either avoided, dodged, or blocked.

Cormier has the highest rating at 72%, but his ratings are averaged from his last 7 fights where as Overeem's stats are averaged from his last 31 fights so his stats should be at lot more accurate.

http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/fighters/details/1409

Overeem actually has really good defense he doesn't get hit clean very often and he blocks very differently in MMA to how he does in K-1.

http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/fighters/details/808

I looked up the top 10 and he has the second highest rating at 66% Defense meaning that 66% of his opponents strikes are either avoided, dodged, or blocked.

Cormier has the highest rating at 72%, but his ratings are averaged from his last 7 fights where as Overeem's stats are averaged from his last 31 fights so his stats should be at lot more accurate.

http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/fighters/details/1409

I don't think statistics work in these kind of situations. Especially when you consider a big chunk of Overeems opponents have been less than stellar versus someone who has been in the UFC the last couple of years and has been fighting at least pretty decent competition.

I think a better way to judge is to simply look at his fights against decent strikers. He tends to get hit a lot in those fights. ( MMA not k-1 )

You're right, they have nothing to do with each other. Most sherdoggers have never stepped on a mat in their lives, and they don't know shit about fighting, so don't expect them to understand this.

pfft.

do you even lift?

:icon_twis

People who have never grappled or with no common sense would never know this and I have said this many times but the JDS fanboys like repeating their myths because it fits their theory.

pfft,

do you even lift?

does any one on this forum even lift??

I had Werdum winning the decision the last time Overeem and him fought. But anyways, both JDS and Overeem had the same gameplan, which was to avoid fighting on the ground and beat him striking.

I don't think statistics work in these kind of situations. Especially when you consider a big chunk of Overeems opponents have been less than stellar versus someone who has been in the UFC the last couple of years and has been fighting at least pretty decent competition.

I think a better way to judge is to simply look at his fights against decent strikers. He tends to get hit a lot in those fights. ( MMA not k-1 )

The last time he fought a decent striker and got hit a lot was against Werdum who had the threat of the best ground game at HW, and before that it was Sergei back in 2007, that is a long time ago.

I do agree the over all competition level JDS has fought is higher but Overeem has way more fights and he has fought high quality guys in 2 weight classes and if you consider his whole career has fought better and more fighters.

Hmm...do you think he might have improved over the last 5+ years? You know...earning a black belt from Nog and all?

Do you think he might able to outgrapple the Pat Berrys of the HW division and therefore not have the weakest ground game?

You don't need to engage in ridiculousness or hyperbole.

Well if I go by the JDS nuthugger rule book that fighters never improve then NO.

The condensed answer is this:

Overeem is fighting JDS and not Werdum.

Overeem have been knockout by shogun , kharitonov , badr hari ,chuck liddell and bobby hoffman

JDS chin is like a diamond,a diamond is forever

Heh, I see your point but it is almost sarcastic that each of the fighters hit like a truck and belong into the hardest hitters in mma history. Excluding Bobby Hoffman, only saw two of his fights and have to admit I dont remeber too much about his striking.

Classic Boxer vs Kickboxer.

Overeem has the CLEAR advantage at kicking range, and in the clinch
Overeem throws leg kicks, maintains distance
When JDS gets in close range, overeem covers up and goes for the clinch.

I love how no one even entertains the thought of Cain winning. Cain presents the worse matchup for Reem.

Back