Overeem vs Werdum and why it has nothing to do with fighting JDS

NoBiasJustMMA

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
I have seen people bring up Overeem's fight with Werdum over and over again as a reason for why they believe JDS will beat Overeem. I do not understand why people bring up this fight as JDS and Werdum are polar opposites and Overeem's game plan against each of them would also be completely different. Can someone explain to me what these people are thinking, do they not realize that often times the threat of a takedown or going to the ground with a vastly superior ground fighter can dramatically change the stand up game, do they think JDS will be able to flop safely like Werdum did when Overeem was attempting to counter his strikes?

JDS can beat Overeem but I think Overeem is the favorite, but either way that fight goes it won't look anything like Overeem vs Werdum.

If JDS has an answer for neutralizing Overeem's leg and body kicks, then JDS will knock him out.

Otherwise, the fight will be very interesting. Mir and Gonzaga were able to land some good kicks on JDS.

There is no fight in Overeem's history that would make him a favorite.

As to your question, JDS is reported to have very good grappling skills as well, and non-trivial BJJ. I believe the line of thinking is that Overeem will have to watch out for the TD, and in doing so will be open to JDS' strikes.

JDS can beat Overeem but I think Overeem is the favorite, but either way that fight goes it won't look anything like Overeem vs Werdum.
Just like Overeem won't look the same as he did against Brock. But shrugs. What people think online isn't relevant. In a minute I will forget my previous post. :rolleyes:

I agree obviously that Reem planned for a much different fight against Werdum than he will against JDS...but I think what most people are saying is that if JDS lands on Overeem as much as Werdum did, it will be lights out for Overeem.

That goes for Bigfoot too.

There is no fight in Overeem's history that would make him a favorite.

As to your question, JDS is reported to have very good grappling skills as well, and non-trivial BJJ. I believe the line of thinking is that Overeem will have to watch out for the TD, and in doing so will be open to JDS' strikes.
There is no fight in Overeem's history that would make him a favorite? Seriously? There were enough fights in JDS history that would suggest a prime K1/MMA fighter would give him a hard time.

Overeem will have to watch out for his TDD? His TDD is among the best in the HW division. And why would JDS want to take it to the ground? Overeem has 19 submission finishes? How many does JDS have? I think Overeem could actually take the fight to the ground. Anyway, we we will see JDS submission skills (if they exist or not) in his next fight against Cain.

You make no sense. Sorry.

That fight proved Reem has so so cardio. JDS was a little gased in the 3rd round vs Nelson but nowhere near as Reem. I doubt this will be a factor if they ever fight but crazier things have happened.

The interesting thing about Overeem's fights is that they all look very different, it's impossible to know what kind of finish we'll get from him, he's done it all.

That fight proved Reem has so so cardio. JDS was a little gased in the 3rd round vs Nelson but nowhere near as Reem. I doubt this will be a factor if they ever fight but crazier things have happened.

Not sure about his cardio. Unsure if it will be a factor. Don't see the fight going to the third round (against JDS). Cain could wear on Reem and tire him down.

Also, we don't know what his cardio will be like now. Werdum was his first real MMA test after focussing on K1 (k1 fights are less tiring). Also, right now he actually trains in America. I think the new Reem could be better then the old. Also, if he was on dope (I'm not doctor, I hate talking about T/E ratios) which is likely, I don't think it would've helped his cardio. I think Reem 2.0 will be nastier with more endurance. JDS and Cain are also both still improving though, but both of them already had the best training possible at their camps. For Reem that's new.

Overeem have been knockout by shogun , kharitonov , badr hari ,chuck liddell and bobby hoffman

JDS chin is like a diamond,a diamond is forever

If JDS has an answer for neutralizing Overeem's leg and body kicks, then JDS will knock him out.

Otherwise, the fight will be very interesting. Mir and Gonzaga were able to land some good kicks on JDS.

Thats a real good point, I haven't thought too much about the fight from that prospective.

Overeem will give JDS some issues for sure but I still see Junior getting the stoppage late 2nd round or 3rd.

JDS's combination punches will find a tired Reems chin imo..

Thats a real good point, I haven't thought too much about the fight from that prospective.

Overeem will give JDS some issues for sure but I still see Junior getting the stoppage late 2nd round or 3rd.

That's how I see it going down too.

You're right, they have nothing to do with each other. Most sherdoggers have never stepped on a mat in their lives, and they don't know shit about fighting, so don't expect them to understand this.

Well, first of all, people are dumb. That's a fact.

Also, I agree that the Overeem/Werdum fight is not an accurate comparison to what Overeem/JDS will be. I'm not sure Overeem is the favorite, but it's closer than most are thinking. JDS is a bit overrated, but so is Overeem. The HW division is a mess in my opinion...it seems one win can secure someone's "legacy" in this division, and make them a favorite. This is super annoying because it's the most inconsistent division. The "best" fighter in the division can get KO'd so easily by a sloppy punch from an inferior fighter because of the size/strength of a heavyweight.

All that being said, I'm gaining more and more interest in the upcoming fights and possible fights. I'd like to see as many fights as possible between Cain, JDS and Reem over the next few years to sort out who is the best.

The interesting thing about Overeem's fights is that they all look very different, it's impossible to know what kind of finish we'll get from him, he's done it all.

Throwing punches only at a human punching bag isn't as tiring as stuffing shots, and standing up from like 20 guard pulls at the hands of a 245lbs ADCC champ. Werdum made Overeem carry his weight each time he flopped and tried to pull him down. It was much more of an ugly, grueling fight.

Throwing punches only at a human punching bag isn't as tiring as stuffing shots, and standing up from like 20 guard pulls at the hands of a 245lbs ADCC champ. Werdum made Overeem carry his weight each time he flopped and tried to pull him down. It was much more of an ugly, grueling fight.

I'll give you that it was an ugly fight, but that's about it.

Overeem threw 56 sig strikes against Werdum the whole fight while JDS thew 282 against nelson. Werdum attempted 12 takedowns against Overeem and Nelson attempted 7 against Dos Santos. JDS also went for 2 of his own takedowns.

JDS/Nelson was clearly a more grueling and tiring fight given the number of strikes thrown.

agreed, most people have only seem Overeem fight 2-3 times, and the Brock and Rodgers fights didn't show much on the feet. Werdum's bjj is deadly, look what he did to Fedor who waded through Nog's bjj like it was nothing, and Overeem wanted no part of that. JDS is a different animal, and Overeem is going to be primarily concerned with his hands. This would be a fun fight, and the first guy to make an error is going to be smelling ammonia and asking what happened.

Is it possibly just a simple case of people attempting to apply MMAth? Werdum gave Overeem a very tough fight while JDS wiped the floor with him.

Obviously MMAth is meaningless in almost all cases.

With regard to a potential Overeem vs JDS fight i think that the main comparison with the Overeem Werdum fight, as someone else has already stated is that if JDS puts hands on Overeem as often as Werdum did it will be Goldies time to shine. I think JDS takes that fight since he throws far more combinations than Overeem and hits like a truck. Overeem has been KO'd before so it wouldn't be a stretch to think JDS could do that to him as he has only failed to KO people who are all but KO proof.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves though. Both have fights to get through first before any potential meeting between the two and both could well have their hands full, particularly JDS.

Well, first of all, people are dumb. That's a fact.

Also, I agree that the Overeem/Werdum fight is not an accurate comparison to what Overeem/JDS will be. I'm not sure Overeem is the favorite, but it's closer than most are thinking. JDS is a bit overrated, but so is Overeem. The HW division is a mess in my opinion...it seems one win can secure someone's "legacy" in this division, and make them a favorite. This is super annoying because it's the most inconsistent division. The "best" fighter in the division can get KO'd so easily by a sloppy punch from an inferior fighter because of the size/strength of a heavyweight.

All that being said, I'm gaining more and more interest in the upcoming fights and possible fights. I'd like to see as many fights as possible between Cain, JDS and Reem over the next few years to sort out who is the best.

"average is dumb" an American Splendor comic.

Thanks. I believe Reem wants to kick/knee the legs and body to soften JDS up. Gonzaga landed some sick leg kicks on JDS. Mir had some good kicks on JDS as well.

BUT JDS KOed both of them by countering when they were throwing a kick! lol so can Reem get his kicks in without being countered? I dont know. If ANYONE can do that, it's definitely him. But I dont think so.

Final pick: JDS by countering Reem's kicks/knees.

There is no fight in Overeem's history that would make him a favorite? Seriously? There were enough fights in JDS history that would suggest a prime K1/MMA fighter would give him a hard time.

Overeem will have to watch out for his TDD? His TDD is among the best in the HW division. And why would JDS want to take it to the ground? Overeem has 19 submission finishes? How many does JDS have? I think Overeem could actually take the fight to the ground. Anyway, we we will see JDS submission skills (if they exist or not) in his next fight against Cain.

You make no sense. Sorry.

I gotta agree with the second part... I can't imagine JDS will be going for takedowns, he never has before against anyone

Back