Overeem (Rampage) > JDS (Chuck Lidell) > Cain (Tito Ortiz)

Pretty cool but Rampage has an iron chin and used to have great cardio. Im a huge Overeem fan but his cardio is not the best....

I can't help but think that this is the way things will go down. Rampage, Chuck, and Tito Ortiz are almost like the mirror images of Overeem, JDS, and Cain stylistically and also strength wise. We all know Rampage is the strongest out of the bunch as is Overeem, Tito (Cain) has the best wrestling, and Chuck (JDS) is the current champion of the bunch who really had the better record then the real champion (Tito) all along, but never got the respect he deserved until he got his title shot. Overeem/Rampage has the most counterstriker like style of the bunch by covering up and throwing a bunch of hooks after his opponent comes in. This is the best style to beat a JDS/Chuck like fighter because he won't beat him with speed, but he with precision and timing. JDS is faster then Overeem, but if Overeem picks his shots like Rampage did, he just has to wait for the right opening to strike. Overeem is willing to take the fight to the ground too which is another advantage Overeem has over Rampage in this comparison.

With JDS, he is basically Chuck 2.0 with his TDD and aggressive and varied striking style. The only difference is that JDS likely has the best chin of the bunch when in the past, Rampage (now Overeem) had the best chin of the bunch.

Then there's Cain (Tito). He's the wrestler/GNPer with some solid standup, but who uses it to mostly get the fight to the ground. Stylistically, JDS/Chuck are nightmare matchups for his type of fighter because everything hindges upon taking him down. As we all know, if Cain can't get JDS down, he is screwed. The different with this fight compared to Chuck/Tito is that even if Cain gets JDS down, the groundgame is still a big question mark. He could either just stand back up like Chuck or go into BJJ mode and possibly submit him.

Anyone else find the similarities pretty much the same?

Great analogy TS and I agree. I would like to add that Chuck is alot quicker and more powerful with his hands than JDS is.

Overeem will batter JDS with strikes and we will bump this thread.

Let's also ignore the fact that Werdum was tagging Overeem. If JDS tees off on Overeem like Werdum did, Overeem is going to sleep.

Let's also ignore the fact that Werdum was tagging Overeem. If JDS tees off on Overeem like Werdum did, Overeem is going to sleep.

Yes because JDS is so similar to Werdum, do people who bring this up not realize that the only reason Werdum was doing well on the feat against Overeem is that he has a sick ground game and almost every time Overeem went to counter Werdum flopped to the floor? Are you suggesting that Overeem is afraid of JDS's ground game and that JDS will flop to the ground every time Overeem tries to counter him, cause I think that will lead to JDS being submitted or TKOed on the ground by Overeem.

If Werdum had a ground game like JDS he would have been finished by Overeem and been mauled on the feet, Overeem had nothing to fear from Werdum's strikes but feared his ground game with JDS its the complete opposite, if you want to use a fight to base your prediction on you should use one in which Overeem fought someone similar to JDS, not someone who is the polar opposite of him.

the other two are fairly similar but not sure about reem and rampage

Overeem's a bad man, but I think JDS is too quick for him.

I also question Overeem's chin due to his history, and his kickboxing style doesn't always translate to MMA due to the glove size.

The Rampage/Chuck comparison is a little bizarre and ineffective, though.

Yes, back in the days when all of the good 205ers were in Pride, Tito was king. And then along came the Iceman, and Tito has been garbage ever since. Seriously, Tito was never that good. He had a niche that most guys weren't used to, and for some unknown reason they didn't seem to bother training for. But back in those days, having any kind of high-end Martial Arts pedigree could get you into the UFC. Now, even with several blackbelts it's pretty hard to make it to (and stay in) the big show.

Tito has always been over-rated. Always.

Well he beat Belfort and Wandy. That is not bad at all.
He gets a bad rap because he matched up very poorly against Liddell.

i disagree with Rampage being physically stronger then Tito, Rampage has even said Tito treated him like a rag doll in training

Tito is the most physically strongest LHW of all time

and according to Bones, Tito is also the LHW GOAT

i see somwhat similarities to wat ur sayin, but i think Cain beats JDS this time around willeven throw 50-100 down on it

Randy Couture was once asked who the strongest guy was that he's ever fought. He said Tito Ortiz. Yes, and that included heavyweights.

People like to dismiss Tito just because they never watched him at his peak. Tito Ortiz, in his prime was unquestionably the #1 P4P fighter in the world.

Rampage: one of the best chins in mma
Overeem: not so much

Cain can hold his own on his feet. Tito...

I could go on.

WTF? is this a joke?

Rampage is nothing like overeem.

Overeem has great kicks and is excellent in the clinch--All rampage's weaknesses on the feet.

Rampage has excellent boxing and massive power in his hands--Overeem's boxing is so-so and he's never shown much punching power in MMA.

Overeem has sick submissions, Rampage has none

Rampage has one of the best chins in the sport, Overeem has been stopped on strikes 9 times.

The cain-tito analogy is ridiculous as well. Cain's cardio is off the charts, only his chin is suspect. Tito has a great chin, but his cardio is really bad, and never really improved.

wanderlei silva totally is overrated, he dominated poor competition in pride, when he came to the ufc he got smashed by p4p kings chris leben and rich franklin

wand has always been overrated, god, freakin internet people not understanding how fighting works

good thing i know everything and im always right

Yes, because fighters don't have primes at all and clearly someone like Wanderlei, who has taken more damage in some of his fights than a lot of guys do in their entire career, hasn't gone down-hill because of it. No, that would just not make ANY sense.

Fucking idiot.

And for the record, prime Wandy breaks Tito's lumpy head wide open.

Well he beat Belfort and Wandy. That is not bad at all.
He gets a bad rap because he matched up very poorly against Liddell.

Chuck, Lyoto, Forrest, Matt Hamill, Rashad, Little Nog and Randy were all "bad match-ups", huh? Because it sounds to me like it's just a matter of actually high-level fighters beating the ever-loving shit out of him. Tito was never that good, he just had a loud mouth and was champion back when bar brawlers were still top 10 guys. If you really think Tito could hold his own against any modern top 10 LHW, even at his prime, you're sadly mistaken.

all i can say is at least there was effort put into this thread and thats about it.

Overeem lost to Chuck. Rampage beat chuck. This thread fails.

Just divided by zero. So that's what the Mayans predicted. A dumb sherdog thread would destroy the world. We should have seen this coming.

Back