Out of the GOATs, who has the single greatest victory?

Penn did batter GSP in their first fight though. He also was a current champion in his prime that looked like he had finally put it all together. Then Georges steamrolled him.

Hughes was coming off of the Royce & second Penn fight when he gave GSP the rematch, so he was still on top.. we were just waiting for GSP to be ready.

I agree that fitch and condit were exceptional wins (you could throw alves in there too), but Hughes and Penn were transcendent wins that cemented his legacy.

I agree that Penn and Hughes were more high-profile and more historically meaningful wins... but I'm not sure that's quite the same thing as simply the better wins. In my view, the quality of the opponent at that weight at that time is much more important than impact on someone's legacy, when rating wins on a quality basis.

Lennox Lewis's win over Mike Tyson was HUGE in terms of profile, legacy, etc etc. But Tyson was light years away from his prime. It was definitely not Lewis' best win.

I think if conor and aldo would fight again we could have a more competitive fight,but MAN i never saw the fight go down the way it did. Aldo ko'd in 13 seconds,why you lying bruh?

Frankie Edgar is significantly better technically than Cormier, fighting in far deeper and tougher divisions, and more accomplished in MMA too, with victories over LW GOAT BJ and equaling the record for defenses in the deepest division in the sport. He also was the rightful LW champion when he fought Aldo, having been badly robbed in his Bendo rematch.

Then Aldo, off a year's injury recovery, beat him 4-1.

So Aldo vs Edgar > Jones vs Cormier.

For me it was Conor over Aldo. Quickest title fight finish in ufc history against the 10 year undisputed champion, p4p number 1 or 2 guy depending on who you ask, never been finished by strikes before ko'd stiff, dispatched with absolute precision in less time it takes than to tie your shoe laces. I don't think it gets more impressive than that.

For me it was Conor over Aldo. Quickest title fight finish in ufc history against the 10 year undisputed champion, p4p number 1 or 2 guy depending on who you ask, never been finished by strikes before ko'd stiff, dispatched with absolute precision in less time it takes than to tie your shoe laces. I don't think it gets more impressive than that.

esp when you consider all the lead up,he really put in alot of work to get into the champions head,and it all went as perfect as you could imagine for Conor. The mental aspect was huge in this fight.

Jones beating DC,

That was monumental, if Bones didn't exist DC might be one of the most dominant fighters ever at LHW or HW for that matter....the way Bones handled an oppoent like that was truly GOAT like...he was doing coke for the whole camp isntead of training while DC made this his life and he didn't even test Jon.

Conor doing what he did to Aldo was insane, but these victories will evolve....what I mean by that is, Jones victory over DC increased in significance as DC went on to beat AJ and Gus showing he is at least somewhere still in his prime.

I'd like to see how Aldo does in another fight, even if he looks terrible it will take nothing away from Conor but if Aldo looks amazing it will magnify the victory further.

I cant wait for Jones vs DC two, i hope DC can get him this time.

esp when you consider all the lead up,he really put in alot of work to get into the champions head,and it all went as perfect as you could imagine for Conor. The mental aspect was huge in this fight.
Agreed, i don't think anyone excepted it to go down how it did except perhaps Conor. Amazing performance

Conor KO'ing Aldo in 13 seconds and I don't see how anyone can dispute that

The problem with this is....

Conor is not the greatest of all time nor is there an argument yet that he should be the greatest of all time.

Once he is in the running then you can make your argument for the Aldo fight. Until then it was just a great fight. Hell if we are just going to pick any good fighter in this thread then I nominate Robbie Lawler's victory over Rory Macdonald.

Agreed, i don't think anyone excepted it to go down how it did except perhaps Conor. Amazing performance

Im sure he was surprised it happened that quickly but he had said that beforehand that would be the way it would end.

Nogueira winning against Cro Cop... After he has been saved by the bell (the left high kick destroyed him) he pulled armbar out of his ass... that was booth paintfull and majestic at the same time

Name ONE other UFC champ that has won 15 in a row with 14 of the 15 ending before the 2nd round was over and maybe I'll agree with you. He also KO'ed the #1 pfp fighter in the world in only 13 seconds in his last fight of that streak. I could go on, and on, and on and I will if you can show me any streak as dominant but I doubt you can.

Any other UFC champion has more title defenses. Conor has done some awesome stuff but he needs to beat more of the top best guys. His resume of top guys is short with Mendes fighting on two weeks notice. Jon Jones for example is much much more impressive to me.

Im sure he was surprised it happened that quickly but he had said that beforehand that would be the way it would end.
Yeah, another overlooked aspect of the impressiveness of that win was he predicted it, on the nose. Who else does that? Crazy

Back