Out of the GOATs, who has the single greatest victory?

GSP's absolute dismantling of Hughes was damn impressive. Kind of ironic, now that I think about it.
yeah this has to be a candidate. taken in context, hughes was considered one of the best of all time and almost invincible at the time.

Butterbean defeating Zuluzinho

butterbean-zuluzinho.jpg

Id have to say Fedor's win over Randleman just because of the ridiculous slam he survived to come back and submit Randleman less than a minute later.

Yes, I do. Just my opinion.

Penn was never really a proven top welterweight, he just had one single amazing win there (Hughes).

Hughes is historically a great fighter, but I'm not sure how good he really was h2h at the time GSP fought him.

And personally I think Shields looked like shit for the vast majority of his time in the UFC. Has a good overall record etc, but often fought like a mediocrity.

All of the above were VERY good wins mind you, I rate them all, but personally I consider Fitch and Condit his two greatest victories.

Both convincing wins over prime natural proven welterweight elites. Superb.

Penn did batter GSP in their first fight though. He also was a current champion in his prime that looked like he had finally put it all together. Then Georges steamrolled him.

Hughes was coming off of the Royce & second Penn fight when he gave GSP the rematch, so he was still on top.. we were just waiting for GSP to be ready.

I agree that fitch and condit were exceptional wins (you could throw alves in there too), but Hughes and Penn were transcendent wins that cemented his legacy.

Fedor absolutely crushing Nogueira in their first fight.

Jones beating fucking Shogun on short notice.

Anderson decimating Franklin in their rematch (the bob and weave through about 4 strikes was majestic)

GSP ragdolling Matt Hughes in their third fight. Just not even remotely competitive.

In the context of the era, BJ Penn moving up and submitting a nearly-invincible-at-the-time Matt Hughes was pretty epic.

Jones over DC. DC will retire with only 2 losses in his career and both will be to jones

I also have to go with Jones, I can see DC retiring only loosing to Jones.

Fedor vs Cro Cop not getting enough love.

Cro Cop was a machine and on a KO tear. His only losses were a heroic armbar by Nog and shocker to Randleman.

Cro Cop fought too scared of the takedown and Fedor actually beat him standing. He still took the most punishment in his career though:

fedorafter_display_image.jpg

Name a more impressive one than someone KO'ing the #1 p4p fighter in the world in only 13 seconds to win the UFC title?

This thread is loaded with them.

Fedor vs Cro Cop not getting enough love.

Cro Cop was a machine and on a KO tear. His only losses were a heroic armbar by Nog and shocker to Randleman.

Cro Cop fought too scared of the takedown and Fedor actually beat him standing. He still took the most punishment in his career though:

fedorafter_display_image.jpg

I watched this fight live while on leave in Cypress. I can't remember any other fight that was as epic. The only one that comes close is GSP vs. Hughes. An honorable mention for me was Jens Pulver vs Caol Uno, because I was big fans of both at the time.

I think Anderson has 3 of the greatest.

The destruction of Forrest Griffin his first fight at LHW.

The triangle on Chael Sonnen after taking a 23 minute beating.

The front kick to the chin KO on Vitor.

anderson subbing chael after 4 1/2 rounds of beatdown was quite hilarious

GSP probably his second fight with Hughes

steamrolled him
Not a bad pick , Couture over Sylvia was pretty huge if you count Randy as a one of the goats which i do , Chuck over Randy was pretty huge too .... if you include Chuck as a goat .....

I think the greatest moment of MMA was fedor overcoming getting dropped on his head by Randleman only to submit him seconds later...

Back