out dated techniques

i think the stand up tripod knee in middle pass still works at high levels while holding arm pits

I believe uchimata was referring to the variation where you remain kneeling on the floor. I still use the standing logsplitter guard break - it's awesome.

My point is that if you play half the way Lucas does it will work at any level. If you play it the way most white belts are taught, even if you do it well, you'll generally get crushed and passed.
I agree with you

My point is that if you play half the way Lucas does it will work at any level. If you play it the way most white belts are taught, even if you do it well, you'll generally get crushed and passed.

Yep until I added knee shield I spent rounds getting crushed.

ex
exactly lol maia only does really 2 to 3 things with his half he comes up to a single stand sup or takes you over if you back step

Does anybody in here watch the world championships? You see double unders at every single weight, against the best in the world.

The only things that used to work that dont work too often anymore is jumping into ankle locks from guard, or just slinging the legs over in a triangle.

I think the thing is people get too hung up on tunnel visioning the double grip in particular as something they have to hang onto in order to finish, and tunnel visioning on sliding the hips across to land in side control as the way they have to finish, when really, it is the stacking itself that is the most important thing, which sets up a number of different finishes.

We're missing the most obvious.

Most of the old GJJ stand-up is outdated. Leading with the strong leg, the Frankenstein stance, the Pisao, the old style Baihana, the Mario Sperry bear hug takedown. They still work at lower levels and for SD (if you're not facing somebody good) but you don't see them in the UFC anymore .

Last edited:
i think the stand up tripod knee in middle pass still works at high levels while holding arm pits

I had a black belt do that to me just yesterday, though, he also destroyed me everywhere else.

Most of the old GJJ stand-up is outdated. Leading with the strong leg, the Frankenstein stance, the Pisao, the old style Baihana, the Mario Sperry bear hug takedown. They still work at lower levels and for SD (if you're not facing somebody good) but you don't see them in the UFC anymore .
Touche. Thats probably the most egregious.

actually you are wrong on bear hugs not working in ufc its like the second most sucessful takedown besides a double which made me go back to trying to use it especially of a failed single rory does them all the time maia askren khabib ect

When is the last time we saw a scissor sweep work in black belt competition?

I remember Rafa using a scissor sweep to get out of closed guard against Augusto Mendes.

Back