out dated techniques

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
id like to make a list and discussion of certaint echniques that just dont work today vs good players say brown and up

i think double unders is quite hard to do today at weights lower than 200 in the gi it still works fine due to the back of pant grip but no gi guys have such great hips that if it isnt done completely perfect you lose space iv never worried about this pass without a gi

This is kind of a complex question. For me, most of my techniques will work as long as my opponent is not an outlier for strength or size. I just have to chain my movements together better.

I don't often have success with the double unders either but I do have success if I chain it with an over under pass.

With that said I'm going to contradict myself and say americana. Even if I chain into an americana I find it difficult to get.

I always found the double under pass really difficult compared to the over under, but I dunno if I'd write it off. I'm sure I'm just not doing it properly. I used to roll with a guy with a sick double under and the pressure on my back/neck was enough to make me tap when I was a white belt. I think that grinding uncomfortable pressure is the key, then theyre wishing you pass just so it's over

Last edited:
This is kind of a complex question. For me, most of my techniques will work as long as my opponent is not an outlier for strength or size. I just have to chain my movements together better.

I don't often have success with the double unders either but I do have success if I chain it with an over under pass.

With that said I'm going to contradict myself and say americana. Even if I chain into an americana I find it difficult to get.

It's odd how the americana is one of the first 'fundamental' moves you get taught, and you rarely ever see it work beyond white belt. The only time I remember seeing it work at a high level is Jones/Vitor but he was busted up really bad at that point

Interesting that you mention double unders as outdated. I've been a leg drag/knee slide kind of guy for years but lately have been using the double unders to great success. Butt grip is too strong

Interesting that you mention double unders as outdated. I've been a leg drag/knee slide kind of guy for years but lately have been using the double unders to great success. Butt grip is too strong
That’s why I said in no gi in gi that pant grip is great control

I always found the double under pass really difficult compared to the over under, but I dunno if I'd write it off. I'm sure I'm just not doing it properly. I used to roll with a guy with a sick double under and the pressure on my back/neck was enough to make me tap when I was a white belt. I think that grinding uncomfortable pressure is the key, then theyre wishing you pass just so it's over
Yes it’s best pass for white and blues but good purps and up don’t mind the stack and can balance there and wait to escape

Yes it’s best pass for white and blues but good purps and up don’t mind the stack and can balance there and wait to escape

It's one of bernado faria's primary passes so I don't think it's wise to dismiss it. It's just one of those moves that's harder to master at a high level than others

Sorry but I’m and upper belt and use and have had double unders used in me. I don’t think a technique is ever past being used I just watched a Purple belt from our school Americana a brown belt from another school at our in house turnemament last weekend.

Forgot to say match was in the gi.

Is any move really outdated? Im 100% positive someone can get a double under pass on you and make it look easy.

Double under pass is a outdated?! Dafaq?

Two arms in or two arms out is day one shit, common!

Is any move really outdated? Im 100% positive someone can get a double under pass on you and make it look easy.
Maybe not outdated, but deemed as low percentage. The americana has become mostly a transition tool today, but that doesnt mean it can't be finished if someone has the technique and timing down well.

The lug nut/wrench

That's a 2015 technique

Death by Osoto will never go out of style tho

I don't know if using 'outdated' is fair. More likely, moves seem to go in and out of fashion.

id like to make a list and discussion of certaint echniques that just dont work today vs good players say brown and up

i think double unders is quite hard to do today at weights lower than 200 in the gi it still works fine due to the back of pant grip but no gi guys have such great hips that if it isnt done completely perfect you lose space iv never worried about this pass without a gi

I’ve trained with people who practiced yoga and were extremely flexible and can stay stacked with their feet right next to their head.

Then they’ll try to bait me to pass and they’ll escape or try an inverted swing back to triangle Ryan Hall style. Jesse Glover also comes to mind.

If the opponent isn’t flexible then driving one knee to their nose and sprawling does work. I knew guys who only favored fundamental passes like the double under and they like these passes as it left little room to escape. Only the most flexible guys or who had a slick game could counter this style.

I don't know if using 'outdated' is fair. More likely, moves seem to go in and out of fashion.

Aside from armed techniques, of course. Learning to fire an front-loading musket may be fun, but not practical.

I’ve trained with people who practiced yoga and were extremely flexible and can stay stacked with their feet right next to their head.

Then they’ll try to bait me to pass and they’ll escape or try an inverted swing back to triangle Ryan Hall style. Jesse Glover also comes to mind.

If the opponent isn’t flexible then driving one knee to their nose and sprawling does work. I knew guys who only favored fundamental passes like the double under and they like these passes as it left little room to escape. Only the most flexible guys or who had a slick game could counter this style.
Buchecha shows the double under in no-gi the same way leandro double undered Keenan in the gi. Passing in no gi in general isn't as good as in the gi.

Back