out dated techniques

Double unders is such a ghey way to pass anyway.
I always get a hurry to get out of the position if anyone tries to go that route.
Head is way to close to the junk IMO.

knock of version if you don't have a buchecha online subscription

in terms of things that are taught to beginners that you never really see at the top level, it's a pretty short list but Americanas, knee in the middle closed guard breaks, and maybe the more traditional way of playing half guard come to mind as things that are part of most curricula that you rarely see top guys using.

Americans (espescially from top half) are a legit way of subbing tiny oponnents in absolutes.

Lol, elbows to the thighs to open up the guard
You'd be surprised how much success I have with this, the key is to not press on thighs but to pull your elbow further back and kind of create pressure on the upper inner side of the calf, the legs just pop off

Besides things like the old Gracie gift pass before the triangle was well known basically everything that's ever been effective still has the potential to be. BJJ is such a fad sport. Things go in and out of style but as soon as something seems like it's obscure or on the fringes then it will come back into style again. I can think of very little that straight up doesn't work.

The Americana is a good answer I've seen thrown around here but don't be surprised if you see a renaissance. Braulio Estima is tweaking it and look for some of his guys to start hitting it on people. Braulio has made some changes that make the technique fundamentally way more effective.

i think the stand up tripod knee in middle pass still works at high levels while holding arm pits

in terms of things that are taught to beginners that you never really see at the top level, it's a pretty short list but Americanas, knee in the middle closed guard breaks, and maybe the more traditional way of playing half guard come to mind as things that are part of most curricula that you rarely see top guys using.

what do you think is the traditional way to play half? half is the most diverse guard position because theres like 10 ways to play the gracie way is to hold with your outside leg and the goal is to hip escape back to guard

then in the 2000s guys started to learn the underhook and its potential and guys were trying to go to the back if the guy on top doesnt whizzer if they whizzer they try to roll when they release to post to stop the sweep going back to taking the back knee shield i never saw till around 2009

what do you think is the traditional way to play half? half is the most diverse guard position because theres like 10 ways to play the gracie way is to hold with your outside leg and the goal is to hip escape back to guard

then in the 2000s guys started to learn the underhook and its potential and guys were trying to go to the back if the guy on top doesnt whizzer if they whizzer they try to roll when they release to post to stop the sweep going back to taking the back knee shield i never saw till around 2009
The traditional half would be more of the Lucas Leite style of playing it. Sort of a mid-range half style. Not close range like deep half guard and not more a longer range like Z-guard.

My impression is that most people still start out learning to play half from the basic half guard position. They're taught to get an underhook and come up on a single leg sort of sweep, or do the rollover sweep if the top guy whizzers. Basic Gordo stuff. These days, most of the half I see at high levels is knee shield or RDLR, and if someone does go for more traditional sweeps they do it with the sort of entries and controls Lucas Leite uses rather than just letting the passer get to a non-knee shield position and only then fighting for the underhook.

The traditional half would be more of the Lucas Leite style of playing it. Sort of a mid-range half style. Not close range like deep half guard and not more a longer range like Z-guard.

The way Lucas enters and uses the knee torque to prevent the pass is very different from the way most white belts are taught to play half IMO.

Lucas leite half is not outdated by any definition. I think the outdated traditional approach is not using any sort of distance control shield when you don't have the underhook and relying on squeeing your balls of so they can't extract the leg. I see that style taught by cargo culting people to beginners sometimes.

The Americana is a good answer I've seen thrown around here but don't be surprised if you see a renaissance. Braulio Estima is tweaking it and look for some of his guys to start hitting it on people. Braulio has made some changes that make the technique fundamentally way more effective.
I'm surprised we aren't seeing more guys attack the Americana from other positions. I really like the Americana from the bottom when I'm attacking the triangle.

And then of course, Overeem used a beautiful Americana from bottom side control to finish Mark Hunt:

i think leite is by far the best hg player ever even over faria ect he sweeps guys within seconds guys like xande ect with crazy strong base the leg torque getting under deep its so hard to stop i use his system very simple not to many steps and can chain between attacks quite easy

Maybe not outdated, but deemed as low percentage. The americana has become mostly a transition tool today, but that doesnt mean it can't be finished if someone has the technique and timing down well.

This. I go for three Americana everytime I get mount, but the intention is to get them to bridge into and take their back.

really are no outdated techniques. if you find somebody who times it right and has experience they can make shit work.

The way Lucas enters and uses the knee torque to prevent the pass is very different from the way most white belts are taught to play half IMO.
I do agree but in terms of the distance he plays, focusing on getting the underhook, and generally using old school sweeps or the over-the-top twist back sweep? That's sort of what I was thinking but maybe I'm wrong.
I'm surprised we aren't seeing more guys attack the Americana from other positions. I really like the Americana from the bottom when I'm attacking the triangle.

And then of course, Overeem used a beautiful Americana from bottom side control to finish Mark Hunt:

Right? I like it a lot from bottom side control to get a reversal or to re-guard.

This is Braulio Estima's tweak on the position. If you can hike their near-side shoulder up on your hip from side control then doing it this way is very strong. I don't have it down from mount yet but Braulio is hitting this all over the place is sparring. I hope people pick up on this detail and can maybe bring the technique back from obscurity.

I do agree but in terms of the distance he plays, focusing on getting the underhook, and generally using old school sweeps or the over-the-top twist back sweep? That's sort of what I was thinking but maybe I'm wrong.

My point is that if you play half the way Lucas does it will work at any level. If you play it the way most white belts are taught, even if you do it well, you'll generally get crushed and passed.

Back