Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao

prowrestler

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Whatchu thing of this match actually happening. They both have a strong fan base, and can potentially be bigger than the De La Hoya vs. Mayweather superfight.

A lot of money can be made if this fight were to happen.

Yea.. Oscar's only about 25 pounds heavier than Manny

They could meet at 147. Manny said he's down to fight him cuz he walks around at 150, and his sparring partners are usually 140 to 150.

It'd be an "event" fight, nothing more. DLH/Pac, DLH/Mayweather II, Mayweather/Hatton II, DLH/Hatton, Tyson/Holyfield III, Nelson/Fenech III, Shamrock/Ortiz II and III, same shit.

It'd be an "event" fight, nothing more. DLH/Pac, DLH/Mayweather II, Mayweather/Hatton II, DLH/Hatton, Tyson/Holyfield III, Nelson/Fenech III, Shamrock/Ortiz II and III, same shit.

DLH vs. Mayweather 2 really doesnt belong on that list imo. That fight didnt even reach a one sided level. Look at tito vs. DLH 1-8..thats one sided. Mayweather just did enough to win but it was still competitive and I think with a few adjustments, DLH could make it more competitive. The smart money is still on Mayweather, but besides Margarito and Cotto, nobody at 147 has as good of a chance as DLH at beating PBF in my opinion.

I think Marg would beat PBF. He has a great chin and a great output and I think after an early storm, Marg would start gaining ground and take a decision as his activity stayed high while pbf started playing the safe play every exchange.

I think PBF beats Cotto but Cotto has proven me wrong a few times now.

I think PBF beats DLH but I wouldnt be surprised to see the opposite.

All that said, it's pointless until PBF comes back out of retirement. I just got off on a rant.

I will say this though... besides JL Castillo, DLH came the closest to marking PBF's record. Had he kept up that jab and stopped going wild everytime PBF baited him to the ropes, he might have won.

I think De La Hoya is too big and too strong for Manny.

The Golden Boy might as well fight The Iron Boy.

HA nobody caught this but yeah seriously. I could understand why they would do it but really what chance would Pac have against DLH at WW? I can see a KO in the first four rounds, easy.
Hell Oscar probably wouldnt even have to defend against Pacs shots, just step in and swing.

I don't kno, I could see Manny taking this one. Manny and OScar both want this fight!

DLH vs. Mayweather 2 really doesnt belong on that list imo. That fight didnt even reach a one sided level. Look at tito vs. DLH 1-8..thats one sided. Mayweather just did enough to win but it was still competitive and I think with a few adjustments, DLH could make it more competitive. The smart money is still on Mayweather, but besides Margarito and Cotto, nobody at 147 has as good of a chance as DLH at beating PBF in my opinion.

Floyd won by exploiting factors Oscar's been guilty of his entire career. If he hadn't made said adjustments for the first fight, there's no reason to think he'd make them for the second fight.

Also, I don't know why we're talking DLH's chances at 147, how long has it been since he's actually made that weight?

150 in his last fight..I think he could do it.. but anyways, it aint gonna happen.

All I'm saying is that DLH vs. May 2 doesnt deserve to be on that list. DLH has made adjustments in the past. Some of his fights, he's a stalker, some he boxes. The Mosely fights represent this decently. Many thought he won the rematch... he boxed a lot more in that fight because he knew he wasnt going to walk through Mosely.. well now he knows he's not going to walk through Mayweather.. which might lead him to stick to the original plan = throwing 30-40 jabs per round and using his height which may inspire Mayweather to get a bit wreckless and could turn the tide.

150 in his last fight..I think he could do it.. but anyways, it aint gonna happen.

All I'm saying is that DLH vs. May 2 doesnt deserve to be on that list. DLH has made adjustments in the past. Some of his fights, he's a stalker, some he boxes. The Mosely fights represent this decently. Many thought he won the rematch... he boxed a lot more in that fight because he knew he wasnt going to walk through Mosely.. well now he knows he's not going to walk through Mayweather.. which might lead him to stick to the original plan = throwing 30-40 jabs per round and using his height which may make the inspire Mayweather to get a bit wreckless and could turn the tide.

I don't think possibilities that are unreliable makes DLH/Mayweather II NOT an event fight. If he thought he was going to walk through Floyd, abandoned the game plan, and now needs a second Fight to stick to the original game plan, then this isn't the same old World Beater Oscar we're talking about. It's an older, slower, less conditioned version who fights guys smaller than himself for money.

I don't think possibilities that are unreliable makes DLH/Mayweather II NOT an event fight. If he thought he was going to walk through Floyd, abandoned the game plan, and now needs a second Fight to stick to the original game plan, then this isn't the same old World Beater Oscar we're talking about. It's an older, slower, less conditioned version who fights guys smaller than himself for money.

By "event fight" I assumed you meant a forgone conlusion of a fight.
The only reason I'm saying anything is because that fight is definitely not a forgone conclusion. Oscar has a solid chance of pulling off the upset. He got sloppy and played into floyd's hands the first go round.. he did the same with Mosely their first go round.. he improved the second time around. I think he would improve a bit against Mayweather as well..
and like I said, DLH is one of only 3-4 people from 154 down that pose a threat to PBF's 0 imo. Thats a small club and I dont think any fight between Mayweather and anybody in that club is just an "event" fight.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Floyd is far better at adjusting than Oscar at this point, and I don't think Oscar poses any threat at all. Floyd's not just a collection of physical talents, he's arguably the most intelligent Fighter between the ropes in the game. If you want to be in the minority and believe in Oscar that's fine by me, but it doesn't change the fact that most people, including the majority if the fans and the Boxing community believe a second fight would be a rerun of the first, and they've very solid reasons to believe that, more than just Oscar's performance in a single fight that took place 5 years ago at a weight Shane should never have even been Fighting at in the first place.

Shane is stronger physically than Oscar. He benches 325+ which is insane for somebody his size. I dont think it hurt him at all fighting Oscar at a higher weight.

That said, I'm apathetic about this really. I just see Oscar has a load of skills and still has good speed and I've seen him make adjustments in the past. I've yet to see somebody make Floyd come to them with a mouth full of jabs. I think it would be interesting to see floyd in that position. I would love to see what adjustments he would make when his opponent refused to go wild on him(so he could clinch or spin his opponent once they got off balance from missing) when he went to the ropes and opted, instead, to stay outside and chuck one-twos to build up points. I mean, I don't think even you'll argue that Oscar has one of the better jabs in boxing. And, if he did that, Mayweather may get wreckless at some point.

Back