Oscar de la hoya puts Santos Alvarez on BLAST

What boxer is without their flaws or imperfections???....People who believe that nonsense only watch highlight reels and short promo clips. Canelo doesn't have to be flawless to currently be the best boxer in the world. He has flaws but his natural ability & talent make up for them like ALL the greats before him. His flaws have never really even got him into too much trouble in a fight. Outpointed on some subjective cards, but always debatable.
This is nothing more than sour grapes from another faded star who couldn't stand to give the lime light to his fighter. Then turned bitter ex partner. Canelo is a generational talent that already came with a name and hype. He didn't need Golden Boy. Any top promoter would have been in the Canelo game and he would of been a star with any promoter. Golden Boy needed Canelo far more than he has ever needed them.
Also doesn't bold well that their other golden goose Ryan Garcia thinks Oscar is a clown too.

@mozfonky you gotta start watching again, my friend. There's a bunch of talented guys out there putting boxing on the map still and you'll find your favorites just like the rest of us.

Your knowledge and love for the sport is obv evident and it's too much to not to find a spot to watch it at least once in awhile. If you don't like it then that's totally cool, but just give it a chance, I think it'll be fun for you.

I recommend Roman Gonzalez/Juan Franciso Estrada 2, it happened earlier this year. I really think you'll like it bro.

Jacobs and Golovkin aren't on a similar level to Trout and Lara? Saunders, at the very least, is stylistically quite similar to Trout and Lara and Jacobs, when Canelo fought him, was a very astute boxer.

Stylistically ? Maybe minus the speed and athleticism which is sort of a big deal. Jacobs an GGG stand right in front they don't fight like those others so has he really been tested in the same manner since? Not really.

@mozfonky you gotta start watching again, my friend. There's a bunch of talented guys out there putting boxing on the map still and you'll find your favorites just like the rest of us.

Your knowledge and love for the sport is obv evident and it's too much to not to find a spot to watch it at least once in awhile. If you don't like it then that's totally cool, but just give it a chance, I think it'll be fun for you.

I recommend Roman Gonzalez/Juan Franciso Estrada 2, it happened earlier this year. I really think you'll like it bro.
you could be right, but I can't follow like I used to. Getting older I try to be more selective how my time goes. Used to be nothing was more important than the next fight or the next ufc but I can't stop everything else anymore like I used to. Even then, I look back, I was too damned fanatical. I always felt bad that when I once visited my dying sister, I couldn't stop thinking of getting home to see the latest ufc. What the hell was I thinking, fuck the ufc.

also, with my limited time, i'm trying to get through a book on Camacho, didn't even know one was out. It's really good and to this subject, two of camacho's early trainers, some guy I'd never seen much of and his main first manager both started stealing money, those things hurt a fighter. Fighters are young and naive much of the time, I still think the Tyson breakup was precipitated, not by his desire to go with king but the trickery involved in getting him to sign a contract by an ailing Jimmy Jacobs, someone he trusted. So, in Macho's case, both guys stole but the main manager apparently did something that could have landed him in prison, so it wasn't your run of the mill money argument. That money fucks up a lot of things.

The problem is that he has not fought fighters in that period really comparable to Trout Mayweather or Lara has he? You can't beat BJS or Callum smith then use them as evidence compared to totally different fighters. I don't buy it sorry.

While people say Charlo is Canelo’s nightmare matchup because his 2 best career wins are either the leftovers of people Alvarez beat (Derevyanchenko) or his own (Trout), let alone the fact he’s never fought above 160.

Looks like you’re into far fetched narratives when you happen to like them.

Last edited:
I agree with the Charlo assumption. But I think that's totally fair considering how Canelo publicly threw him under the bus and got personal with his attacks.

Once again, Canelo fires back with more personal attacks. It's as if Canelo thinks it's OK to throw dirt on Oscar, but Oscar does it back Canelo continues to retaliate.

Eh, at nearly 50 Oscar doesn’t show much more maturity in their feud, that’s for sure.

I agree, he has made adjustments... but at the same time, he hasn't faced that level of opponent again,

He's kind of just adjusted into a new role. Before he didn't press as much. Now, he kind of stands at range to draw a punch and then counters. It's not a varied game, it's his new groove at a higher weight. It's working for him. He actually throws less combos now. Mostly because he doesn't have the stamina and he knows it. Combos are more draining. When a fighter goes up in weight he puts more demand on his cardiovascular system. Canelo was never a fighter with stamina to begin with.

you could be right, but I can't follow like I used to. Getting older I try to be more selective how my time goes. Used to be nothing was more important than the next fight or the next ufc but I can't stop everything else anymore like I used to. Even then, I look back, I was too damned fanatical. I always felt bad that when I once visited my dying sister, I couldn't stop thinking of getting home to see the latest ufc. What the hell was I thinking, fuck the ufc.
I hear ya man. Maybe it's just not a priority in your life like it used to be. It's tough out there irl and we all have our hands full w/ various things so I get it. Sometimes things aren't worth it, just saying there's a lot of good boxing out there if you can scrape some time together that's all.

I'm very sorry about your sister, btw. RIP.

I hear ya man. Maybe it's just not a priority in your life like it used to be. It's tough out there irl and we all have our hands full w/ various things so I get it. Sometimes things aren't worth it, just saying there's a lot of good boxing out there if you can scrape some time together that's all.

I'm very sorry about your sister, btw. RIP.
thanks, I still get the feeling I used to get from watching but rarely. The Wilder-Fury fights were great, Manny vs. Marquez 4 was incredible but not enough of those sorts of events. When they happen they are special though, they can take a horrible day and make it brighter all of the sudden. I love seeing the sport do well so that's a huge part of why I feel that way. As much as I love Manny, that Marquez fight was so epic that it was worth him losing like that because it was great for the sport. How often do we see guys putting it all on the line like that today?

Stylistically ? Maybe minus the speed and athleticism which is sort of a big deal. Jacobs an GGG stand right in front they don't fight like those others so has he really been tested in the same manner since? Not really.

Jacobs was more athletic than Lara or Trout and had real success boxing maybe the best pressure fighter in the sport (at the time).

If being Flatfooted was a death sentence in boxing than Oscar would’ve whooped Pernell Whitaker. Oscar barely laid a clean shot on him. Canelo has an iron chin. Knows how to fight small (which Oscar couldn’t do). And knows how to ride with shots. He’s a great little man and apart from GGG, who beat him, nobody from 160-175 is unquestionably great. This is another in a long line of bad looks for DLH

You are missing out.
It's a rare thing seeing a guy improving and learning so much after critical fights.
Canelo is the embodiment of this. Not only he improved after the Floyd fight, but his improvement after the GGG fights is even more dramatic. Dude is a boxing great.

And that comes from someone that was cheering for GGG both times.

Same here. The first GGG fight went clearly to GGG in my book but you have to commend Canelo for making such huge improvements. His ability to read his opponents is phenomenal. Did not expect him to improve like that after second GGG fight. Really shows his work ethic and talent.

Imo he is now at superstar level like Floyd was , were a loss on points simply wont happen no matter how the fight goes. I dont even fault Canelo for that. He has just gotten too big with too much money involved.

The package Canelo presents nowadays I see him winning vs. a prime Floyd Mayweather if they could be in the same weightclass.

Last edited:
Canelo would absolutely kill prime De la Hoya in a boxing match.

Oscar never managed to get past his losses. They were never his fault, etc. Dude is a legend and I loved watching him fight. I saw him fight live in the second Chavez fight in Vegas. Always been a fan. But when he lost he just held on to it, never admitting he did anything wrong. In his mind he won both Mosley fights, he won the Tito fight, he was out of his prime against Floyd. (I think this fight was a draw but stilk) I think the only defeat he acknowledged completely was the Hopkins fight.

When canelo loses, and he has, 3 times in my mind, he leaves it behind, forgets about it and improves on what he did wrong. I think this is his strongest asset. When he fought Floyd he employed a ridiculous gameplan, similar with Lara.

he doesn’t fight the same way anymore, Oscar tended to get stuck doing the same things.

Back