Oscar de la hoya puts Santos Alvarez on BLAST

rodkek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
nXDEg5C.png

Oscar knows his sport, don't watch Canelo but he's proabably right.

how do you not watch canelo
I don't watch much of today's boxing, I'd say I've seen a few rounds of Canelo vs. who was that guy who gave him a good fight and rematched him? From what I saw, he's another guy without a lot of things. Only fighters I'll watch today are Pac and Fury, far from perfect but they are exciting. Seems like todays guys just don't throw many punches or exchange much. It's a turn off for a long time fan.

Canelo's footwork is less than stellar, and he has average speed. He just compensate for both with his ridiculous chin and power. He always had power but it seemed to have improved recently. I don't know if it was the circumstances of BJS ducking towards the uppercut that caused the broken orbital, but Canelo literally has bonecrushing power right now.

Oscar's drug issues aren't getting better.
probably not but he knows his sport. I remember him saying what I thought of Jermain Taylor when he was starting to make his name, "he moves straight back" and that was absolutely a flaw of his. I remember Freddie Roach saying oscar didn't know how to cut off a ring, i thought that was laughable but at the age he was at, and his issues with the weight, Manny still batted him around. Oscar was one of the best taught fighters of his era and one of the most versatile, too bad he didn't have a right hand.

probably not but he knows his sport. I remember him saying what I thought of Jermain Taylor when he was starting to make his name, "he moves straight back" and that was absolutely a flaw of his. I remember Freddie Roach saying oscar didn't know how to cut off a ring, i thought that was laughable but at the age he was at, and his issues with the weight, Manny still batted him around. Oscar was one of the best taught fighters of his era and one of the most versatile, too bad he didn't have a right hand.

Oscar knows his shit. He also holds a grudge over Canelo and will basically fling any kind of poo at him.

Oscar knows his shit. He also holds a grudge over Canelo and will basically fling any kind of poo at him.
ya, i'm aware of that, happens anytime some breakup happens, all the sudden, whoever they were teamed up with ain't shit.

ya, i'm aware of that, happens anytime some breakup happens, all the sudden, whoever they were teamed up with ain't shit.

When that kind of money is involved things can get pretty ugly. Which is a pity. They brought quite a lot to each other IMO.

When that kind of money is involved things can get pretty ugly. Which is a pity. They brought quite a lot to each other IMO.
in boxing it's always like that. It's very common with a younger star who leaves the people who helped him and both parties turning on each other. Camacho and his early circle got nasty with each other, (His trainer said he was "drowning in drugs" and Camacho replied, "without me, he'd be working at McDonalds!")usually, whatever the reasons they give, it's usually money that is the problem. I remember when George Benton left Duva for some reason which I can't remember and he said that Duva didn't know a thing about boxing, probably true in relation to Benton. It's also a sport filled with paranoia, always, i recall when i was 15 and some minor pro promoter named George Chemeres (haugen, boone kirkman, many others) was in the locker room with some fighter and stopped speaking when I came in and said "we'll talk about it, someone else is here now" which I thought was strange because a 15 year old never caused that kind of reaction with adults. I remember the mma trainer was always sweating about people leaving him too, he once tried to get me to fight when i was too fucking old and didn't realize that he was the last guy I was willing to put up with,he thought i trained at another gym, at 38, I just told him I trained alone and didn't want to be around a bunch of people.

Last edited:
Canelo's footwork is less than stellar, and he has average speed. He just compensate for both with his ridiculous chin and power. He always had power but it seemed to have improved recently. I don't know if it was the circumstances of BJS ducking towards the uppercut that caused the broken orbital, but Canelo literally has bonecrushing power right now.
I didn't see anything that made me want to watch him. Seems like guys today just try to win without doing a lot of work, punch output, intensity etc.., A lot of posturing. If someone comes along I'll definitely watch.

I didn't see anything that made me want to watch him. Seems like guys today just try to win without doing a lot of work, punch output, intensity etc.., A lot of posturing. If someone comes along I'll definitely watch.

Among guys who boxed this week-end Subriel Matias comes to mind when it comes to getting to work. He's not your textbook Puertorican boxer-puncher but man, he's a machine. His fight against Jukembayev is a cracker.

Among guys who boxed this week-end Subriel Matias comes to mind when it comes to getting to work. He's not your textbook Puertorican boxer-puncher but man, he's a machine. His fight against Jukembayev is a cracker.
I'll check him out.

Just to be fair, he has become the true star of boxing because aside from his physical gifts he continuously improved his defense and overall tactics.

Just to be fair, he has become the true star of boxing because aside from his physical gifts he continuously improved his defense and overall tactics.
he seems like a decent guy, I'll give him that.

Nothing Oscar said there was wrong.

Canelo, once again, made it personal again. Which continues to show his poor lack of character. Oscar protected Canelo and guided him carefully. Canelo threw Oscar under the bus publicly multiple times. Lack of character!

Nothing Oscar said there was wrong.

Canelo, once again, made it personal again. Which continues to show his poor lack of character. Oscar protected Canelo and guided him carefully. Canelo threw Oscar under the bus publicly multiple times. Lack of character!

Nor is it right, especially the baseless Charlo assumption.

Showing character, for instance, also means getting over Lara’s loss to Alvarez.

I don't watch much of today's boxing, I'd say I've seen a few rounds of Canelo vs. who was that guy who gave him a good fight and rematched him? From what I saw, he's another guy without a lot of things. Only fighters I'll watch today are Pac and Fury, far from perfect but they are exciting. Seems like todays guys just don't throw many punches or exchange much. It's a turn off for a long time fan.
Probably weren't watching Canelo then, because hes the best boxer in the world, and the most complete boxer in the world.
In about 15 years you're not gonna be able to really talk about boxing because you skipped an entire generation.
If he goes 70-1-2, people will say "It must've been awesome watching Canelo"
And your gonna go "I was too busy watching Camacho tapes from 1990, I missed it."

Time to start watching some of these guys before its over.

You are missing out.
It's a rare thing seeing a guy improving and learning so much after critical fights.
Canelo is the embodiment of this. Not only he improved after the Floyd fight, but his improvement after the GGG fights is even more dramatic. Dude is a boxing great.

And that comes from someone that was cheering for GGG both times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back