Law Oregon rolls back decriminalization of drug possession

190% increase in fatal overdoses since they decriminalized everything 3 years ago.

With shouts of “Portugal was a success!” they were harshly reminded that Portugal is the outlier and ignoring crime will not work, but I am not sure they can put that djinn back in the bottle.

But everything we had tried before also wasn’t working, so kudos to Oregonian government and voters for trying this. Thousands of people have died from ODs and crime has gotten completely out of hand, but honestly, who could have guessed this would unfold in this manner? Well, the answer to who could have seen this coming is “everyone” but Oregon had to shout and virtue signal that they are the most “progressive” as if that is some sort of achievement to be proud of.

In Portland for ex, you have a Progressive soros DA that refuses to charge most crimes, ultra left people running the state, and thousands of homeless drug addicts flood the state and cities. It’s safe to say that this experiment was a complete failure and did a hole that may never be filled again

The way they went at it was crazy in basically encouraging drug use.

I can see decriminalization for personal use amount with forced out patient treatment required for the 1st offense.

2nd time forced treatment in a center for at least a month with forced parole type supervision for 1 year and out patient care.

3rd time we start with 1 year in prison with forced treatment.

After that we start real prison time.

Rather than prison, how about rehab. Costs the tax payers about the same with better results.

3 strike policy, then you go to jail.

I said this many years ago, but you can offer all the rehab in the world But without a desire to get help, and without a stick to make that carrot look tasty, it will only get worse and worse.

2 strikes. We got a deal.
After rehab for one or two times, they get 6 months "probation" for drug testing.

Edit: let the rehab handle the probation.

Last edited:
Drugs need to be criminalized according to their deadliness. Legalize weed, automatically give the death penalty for being a fentanyl dealer.

I know the best way not to handle it is decriminalizing it (opioids, meth, coke) The proof is in the pudding as they say.

I don't know that and don't think the pudding is what you think it is.

"The bill creates a new, unclassified misdemeanor for possession punishable by up to 30 days in jail for probation violations or 180 days in jail if a judge revokes probation.

• Though not mandated, 23 counties, representing 84% of Oregonians, indicated they'll introduce deflection programs for those arrested or convicted of possession of a small amount of hard drugs (less than 5 grams) — connecting those to treatment instead of entering a plea or standing trial.
  • If treatment is completed, the case will be dismissed and the record expunged."
This sounds like such a perfect solution to the “don’t ruin a family’s life with a felony” it’s frustrating this wasn’t step A for a remedy rather than going full stupid with decriminalizing completely

Imagine that....

One of my issues with the “treatment first” push is that it’s not so much treatment before incarceration. It’s treatment/punishment and the arrestees know that they are probably not going to get locked up, so all this is an inconvenience.

So what they do(or did, even 20 years ago) was you would offer them a plea deal and opt for treatment/jail. The crimes could be simple possession, but mostly involved theft. Where my issue came in is that you would have an arrest for breaking into 20 cars that were found ransacked.

Clearly, based upon the scabs, whacked out behavior(watching them detox or withdrawal before your eyes), and their own admission-you would talk to the prosecutor and tell them you were ok with a treatment program if the victims were (most were once they got their stuff back), however, they would sign themselves in and then put a few hours later and the courts would do nothing.

They continue to accumulate arrests/charges, and given the same deal with the same result. Leave after a few hours and the crimes they plead to didn’t mean shit because there is no punishment when they don’t follow through. And keep in mind, beds in rehabs are in very short supply and the treatment is expensive.

These fucks take a bed from someone else, leave after a few hours, and they get to do it free of charge on our taxes, of course. And, they learn nothing because they keep breaking into cars and they keep seeing nothing happen, so they keep doing it and the court would never issue a warrant and put them in jail as was in the agreement. “If you don’t complete the program, your six week jail sentence will be reinstated.” But they wouldn’t do it, or most prosecutors wouldn’t.

So, what I would like to see is treatment/incarceration-but it has to have teeth! Lockdown facility for the same or similar amount of time they would be in jail. Probably less to make treatment more palatable. No more leaving rehab and not going to jail. No more repeated arrests with no consequences. And after they complete the rehab, they have to continue meetings, drug testing, therapy, etc. ideally, job training would be huge, but not really feasible with a six week stay.

I fucking hated chickenshit crimes like walking up and down a street checking car door handles so you can steal change. What a pathetic and sad existence. They are pretty damn sure they won’t end up in jail, so they keep doing it and rack up dozens of arrests.

I remember a few times where they expected the same deal and the magistrate(we had one good one, the rest too soft) refused because of how many times it had failed and the suspects began to scream and wail in the courtroom when they realized they would have to detox and withdrawal for 8 weeks. The first time, the guy was not only an addict/thief, but a genuine asshole who used to run his mouth and demand you take off the cuffs if you wanted your ass beat(he was 125 lbs-most of it scabs) It was quite satisfying to see him not get his way and the look in his eyes when expected a lecture and instead, he got some jail time.

And this is my medium sized city. In somewhere like Portland, with lots of crimes and criminals doing the exact same shit-I wouldn’t expect to see much effort or follow-through by the courts.

I often say that we can’t arrest our way out of the drug epidemic. If it was only drug use, that would be one thing-but the addicts steal anything not nailed down to feed their addiction. When they are caught and the victims see nothing happen or see the same guy skulking around the neighborhood checking doors, it pisses the public off and makes the whole system look weak. It was always so frustrating to look at the victims sheepishly and apologetically because, yet again, no punishment.

But just like we can’t arrest this problem away, having no consequences for crimes mostly caused by addiction, and not requiring the rehab, is not working either. It should be “ok, this is your fourth arrest for petit larceny in the last six weeks-I am sentencing you to six months jail time or 4 months in a lockdown treatment facility. If you fail to complete or participate in the program, you go straight to jail for whatever sentence you have left.”

And rehab/jail is a sweet deal for them. They get to smoke cigarettes whereas in jail, they couldn’t. The accommodations and food are much better. Much less risk of being beaten up or victimized. Plus, you’re actually doing some kind of treatment for the issue that leads you to commit so many crimes.

With habitual offenders that reoffend over and over again, jail/treatment-neither will work. The best thing about them being locked away somewhere is that they can’t continue to commit crime and fuck up everyone else’s quality of life when they come out to a ransacked car with a broken window if it was locked. People have said in San Fran, they leave their doors unlocked with nothing inside the car worth taking because if they lock up, their window just gets smashed. I have also seen quite a few soft-top jeeps/convertibles have the cover sliced open to steal $2 change. Ideally, they get caught by the property owner and get their ass beat pretty good so there’s at least some punishment or at least, a learning experience.

Like I said, I prefer a lock-down facility where they are forced to participate in treatment. Even if they’re gaming the system, they are still off the streets unable to victimize others. Maybe some day, the program will work for them, but it’s rare because it’s forced rather than sought out treatment indicating they want to change.

The worst thing to do is absolutely nothing allowing tweakers to continue to break the laws with no repercussions at all. That teaches them nothing, frustrates the officers and victims, and has almost a zero % chance of fixing the issues. Plus, they are free to continue to victimize people/stores. The criminals know that no one is going to intervene. There’s no punishment even if caught and no incentive to get clea. I get so sick of seeing the druggies raid the CVS with garbage bags stealing whatever they want while people are just forced to watch helplessly. I love the videos where they think they are untouchable and then someone gets pissed off and thumps them. The look of confusion is so satisfying and they’re like “you can’t touch me-that’s a crime!!”

For drug use? Similar but more extreme than America.

Why don't you think they have a problem? Almost 70% of their prison population is drug offenders. That percentage is less than 20% in America, the most carceral country in the world. Imagine the effect if America increased incarceration based on Singapore's policies.

Singapore has received wide international condemnation for their treatment of addicts and the effects on wealth disparity. How many addicts were created by big pharma pushing opioids so hard?

You're almost there. It's almost as if when you're not permissive of drug abuse, you also get fewer bums, nobody shitting on the sidewalks or in the aisle of a grocery store, you can drive your car without it getting broken into or stolen.

Maybe you can guess which picture is from the place that allows rampant drug abuse in public, and which is the place that doesn't.

man-pooping-3.jpg

1A84936D-58D6-44C6-8235-75A08F05924F.jpeg

They tried something that works in Portugal, it's not working in Oregon, so they are trying to fix it

A lot of smug posters just want to be able to say I told you so, rather fix greater societal issues
The reason they're telling you "I told you so", is because this lame brain LIBERAL idea predictably failed, and it was under the guise of "fixing greater societal issues". This was their "fix of greater societal issues", and you likely defended it, which is why you're bitter that it didn't work, and those "stupid chuds" were right...again.

190% increase in fatal overdoses since they decriminalized everything 3 years ago.

With shouts of “Portugal was a success!” they were harshly reminded that Portugal is the outlier and ignoring crime will not work, but I am not sure they can put that djinn back in the bottle.

But everything we had tried before also wasn’t working, so kudos to Oregonian government and voters for trying this. Thousands of people have died from ODs and crime has gotten completely out of hand, but honestly, who could have guessed this would unfold in this manner? Well, the answer to who could have seen this coming is “everyone” but Oregon had to shout and virtue signal that they are the most “progressive” as if that is some sort of achievement to be proud of.

In Portland for ex, you have a Progressive soros DA that refuses to charge most crimes, ultra left people running the state, and thousands of homeless drug addicts flood the state and cities. It’s safe to say that this experiment was a complete failure and did a hole that may never be filled again

What is needed to deal with this isn't decriminalization. It's legalization, a fuck ton of regulations and aggressive cops and das that make it clear that while getting high and possessing drugs won't get you thrown in the clank all other crimes will be enforced twice as aggressively , homelessness won't be tolerated , theft won't be tolerated , prop destruction won't be tolerated etc.

Our drug policies are a disaster that get people killed daily as well as making the polices job all but impossible and decriminalization causes more problems than it fixes and is a very much let the chips fall where they may kind of policy.

I keep telling you what the answer to this problem is but I think the cop in you makes it very hard to accept. We need a whole net set of rules for drug use and a very clear line on what will be and won't be tolerated. You will be a functional addict or be solid gone , you can use ab and c but not xyz. If heroin and cocaine classic aren't good enough straight to jail. If you sell anyone meth and fenty you get the Ronald reagen mandatory sentence. If you sell anyone that shit and they die you go away forever. Use all that atf and Dea energy and literally hunt down anyone who refuses to adjust to the new normal.

It will take some time for everyone to get used to the new way but it will be better for everyone. The cops the addicts and the families of said addicts.

Removing any government coercion from addicts is of course just allowing addict-led recovery, which of course means there ill be almost no recoveries.

And supporting that is a reasonable position. You’re possibly un-burdening the legal system (though obviously that’s not actually the end result) and it’s a strong stand on individual rights against government force, but it’s a dark position to be a proponent of, because it means that you’re fine with more people living hopelessly and destitute until their eventual deaths.

After rehab for one or two times, they get 6 months "probation" for drug testing.

Edit: let the rehab handle the probation.
And have a jobs program. Almost like a cradle to grave program. <Moves>

Back