Law Oregon rolls back decriminalization of drug possession

Mark Hunts FIST

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score

Oregon lawmakers have voted to roll back the state’s drug decriminalization measure, which was hailed as a pioneering approach to addiction but faces intense backlash as communities grapple with surges in fentanyl use and overdoses.

Oregon has seen a 190 percent increase in overdose deaths since the initial decriminalization bill went into effect in February 2021, according to the
CDC.

Shout out to all the people that thought, allowing rampant use of meth and opioids was a good idea

"The bill creates a new, unclassified misdemeanor for possession punishable by up to 30 days in jail for probation violations or 180 days in jail if a judge revokes probation.

• Though not mandated, 23 counties, representing 84% of Oregonians, indicated they'll introduce deflection programs for those arrested or convicted of possession of a small amount of hard drugs (less than 5 grams) — connecting those to treatment instead of entering a plea or standing trial.
  • If treatment is completed, the case will be dismissed and the record expunged."

Who could have foreseen this? By reducing penalties and providing more resources for drug use, it's inevitable that more people would be inclined to partake. What an intriguing phenomenon.

What would you do if you were king of the world?

Are you confident incarcerating addicts is the best way forward?

How does Singapore handle this? They don’t have issues with drugs there.

For drug use? Similar but more extreme than America.

Why don't you think they have a problem? Almost 70% of their prison population is drug offenders. That percentage is less than 20% in America, the most carceral country in the world. Imagine the effect if America increased incarceration based on Singapore's policies.

Singapore has received wide international condemnation for their treatment of addicts and the effects on wealth disparity. How many addicts were created by big pharma pushing opioids so hard?

They tried something that works in Portugal, it's not working in Oregon, so they are trying to fix it

A lot of smug posters just want to be able to say I told you so, rather fix greater societal issues

How does Singapore handle this? They don’t have issues with drugs there.
They are a paternalistic country. They don't have free speech and Americans would never put up with the big brotherish form of government they have.

I would guess that Conservatives would especially be opposed to a Singapore style government because Conservatives often allude to the "don't tread on me" mindset.

Singapore is a tiny city-state. Can't compare it to America, or even a US state.

They are a paternalistic country. They don't have free speech and Americans would never put up with the big brotherish form of government they have.

I would guess that Conservatives would especially be opposed to a Singapore style government because Conservatives often allude to the "don't tread on me" mindset.

Singapore is a tiny city-state. Can't compare it to America, or even a US state.
America had similar drug laws, it simply lacked reasonable enforcement. It's almost impossible to enforce drug laws in the US. We can't enforce our own border at the moment and haven't been able to for decades now.

If you get caught with heroin for the first time, you do *NOT need to go to prison, but that does not mean just a a ticket or a catch and release.

Hell, if you get caught with simple possession the fifth time, I’m not advocating for you to go to prison, but you should sit in the minimum security jail for six months after a couple offenses.

Last edited:
For drug use? Similar but more extreme than America.

Why don't you think they have a problem? Almost 70% of their prison population is drug offenders. That percentage is less than 20% in America, the most carceral country in the world. Imagine the effect if America increased incarceration based on Singapore's policies.

Singapore has received wide international condemnation for their treatment of addicts and the effects on wealth disparity. How many addicts were created by big pharma pushing opioids so hard?

- Dont you think they planed that before?

I tryed to find a article. Posted months ago about this relationship. Got no lucky!:(

Back