Opinion Opposing section 8 housing is racist?

Notice how there has never been section 8 housing in the exclusive liberal hangouts around the country: Hamptons, Pal Alto/Atherton, Beverly Hills, Monterey, SOHO, Greenwich

This is another one of those issues that reveals a certain group's ideological contradictions.

On the one hand we are told that poverty is NOT to be considered a viable cause of criminality. While on the other we are told that wherever impoverished people live there will be high crime rates.

Pick a lane, boys. Pick a lane.

What's wrong with that?

I'm working my ass off to be able to leave something for my kids one day.

The idea is to build future wealth.
And set them up for success.

Great. As long as you don't claim home ownership should only be allowed to those people who have worked hard to pay for their housing.

This is another one of those issues that reveals a certain group's ideological contradictions.

On the one hand we are told that poverty is NOT to be considered a viable cause of criminality. While on the other we are told that wherever impoverished people live there will be high crime rates.

Pick a lane, boys. Pick a lane.

People think poverty causes crime. And have a picture in their head of a noble poor man stealing a loaf of bread to feed his family.

But, in reality, crime causes poverty, as having criminals in an area leads to low investment and businesses not wanting to open up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ps...criminal-mind/201412/crime-causes-poverty?amp

It all starts with the people and the manners that they have. Keep your streets clean, don’t deal drugs, take your garbage out on the correct day, don’t play loud music all through the night, respect your neighbors.

You don’t need money to achieve this. You need manners and common decency.

Owning a home is the reward for those that worked to own one.

It is neither a privilege or a right.
It's simply the product of hard work.

Not true. My parents gave me a home; I didn't have to work for them.
I bet there are a lot of folks out there who also got homes given to them , by parents.

But, in reality, crime causes poverty, as having criminals in an area leads to low investment and businesses not wanting to open up.

If this is your position I take it you do not believe people moving out of a crime-riddled neighborhood and into S8 housing within a low-crime neighborhood will "bring the crime" with them. Correct?

If this is your position I take it you do not believe people moving out of a crime-riddled neighborhood and into S8 housing within a low-crime neighborhood will "bring the crime" with them. Correct?

It depends on the attitudes those individuals have.

A community is essentially its people. There is nothing material that makes a nice neighborhood nice and safe to walk at night. It’s the people that live there.

There was a sherdogger on here that called me racist for suggesting that government housing be located far far away from nice areas.

I think government housing should exist, but it should be very far away and limited to remote areas where no one wants to live. Like next to landfills for example. The purpose of it would be to provide the minimum social safety net while minimizing the harm these people cause to the rest of the population. This would dramatically improve cities and make them much safer and more hospital to live.
Government housing probably needs to be generally speaking, worse quality. It shouldn't be arranged like apartment buildings but more like military barracks. it should be shitty so that you don't get comfortable living there. you should be constantly reminded why you don't want to accept that kind of life.

Parts of California are extremely full. Hence the rediculous traffic. I'm sure not every square inch of the entire state is full.

That's not the point I was making though. The point I was making was that housing prices in California are nothing to bitch about. There is an abundance of affordable housing in this country. Move to one of the many affordable areas of this country if you can't afford where you live. Don't bitch or expect someone else to pay for your housing.

Lol you are completely clueless on this topic. So you are saying you approve of the way liberals in Californian have regulated the housing market?

That's why Bernie and the democrats paying for all the student loans pisses me off. Why did people save, work, and pay them off instead of just going on vacations and not paying them then?? It's the only thing in politics that actually fills me with anger.
All my friends that are riddled in student loan debt didn't work in college while I worked full time. It's always the entitled folks raised without real work ethic that feel the gumbint owes them for being born.

The thing about these threads is how little people understand the legislative history or the municipal reasoning behind them, considering that this is a legislative issue going back over 60 years that has never been properly resolved. But there's little point in fleshing it out because the most misinformed people are also the people least interested in that history.

Not true. My parents gave me a home; I didn't have to work for them.
I bet there are a lot of folks out there who also got homes given to them , by parents.

I would say that you are part of the lucky few.

I was raised in a council house in London and on state benefits. Most of my friends and I didn’t inherit any property and have had to work hard to move out of there.

Inheriting a house for free certainly isn’t the norm where I am from.

Having poor people live in neighborhoods they otherwise couldn't afford causes property value to go down in that neighborhood. It also makes the schools worse, and brings in more crime. This is all because poverty breeds more crime, and worse schools, which in turn, lowers home values.

But, it's not fair to let only people who can afford to live in these homes do so, because most of them are white. If the racial mix of people in upper middle class neighborhoods had more blacks, then the government wouldn't have to allow section 8 housing. And if you are against section 8 housing, it's okay, if the people being excluded are white. But if they are black, you're a segragationist, or a racist. Is that correct?
I care more about people than property values. Black people were made poor in America and you’re talking about being fair?

The thing about these threads is how little people understand the legislative history or the municipal reasoning behind them, considering that this is a legislative issue going back over 60 years that has never been properly resolved. But there's little point in fleshing it out because the most misinformed people are also the people least interested in that history.
I'd be interested.

I know in the Seattle area a lot of government housing is in the areas where Seattle municipal codes forced Asian immigrants to live and thus those areas never got a great chance to prosper until now so they look somewhat dumpy.

Those who embrace it don't actually live in areas where it's implemented. We had a lengthy thread on this a few days ago and many many posters had horrifying stories of their once livable neighborhoods becoming shitholes very quickly to the point they had to move to escape it. Imagine working hard in life to provide for your family all so that one day that safety and security goes out the window through no fault of your own.
I wouldn’t mind if my property value dropped in half if it mean more people will have a respectable place to live. Suburban people can decide who lives where, and gentrify the city centers?

Embrace your new neighbors.

Back