Opinion Opposing section 8 housing is racist?

Here's the thing

It depends on my Depends.
@Green
Reaction score
Having poor people live in neighborhoods they otherwise couldn't afford causes property value to go down in that neighborhood. It also makes the schools worse, and brings in more crime. This is all because poverty breeds more crime, and worse schools, which in turn, lowers home values.

But, it's not fair to let only people who can afford to live in these homes do so, because most of them are white. If the racial mix of people in upper middle class neighborhoods had more blacks, then the government wouldn't have to allow section 8 housing. And if you are against section 8 housing, it's okay, if the people being excluded are white. But if they are black, you're a segragationist, or a racist. Is that correct?

Those who embrace it don't actually live in areas where it's implemented. We had a lengthy thread on this a few days ago and many many posters had horrifying stories of their once livable neighborhoods becoming shitholes very quickly to the point they had to move to escape it. Imagine working hard in life to provide for your family all so that one day that safety and security goes out the window through no fault of your own.

Those who embrace it don't actually live in areas where it's implemented. We had a lengthy thread on this a few days ago and many many posters had horrifying stories of their once livable neighborhoods becoming shitholes very quickly to the point they had to move to escape it. Imagine working hard in life to provide for your family all so that one day that safety and security goes out the window through no fault of your own.

You mean they don't build high density housing next to Pelosi and Obama's homes?

It's a response to gentrification. Affluent white people moving to urban areas and jacking up the cost of living to where regular people can't afford it.

I grew up in a trailer park.
What it taught me was importance of always earning enough money in my life to be as far away from those places as possible.

It's pretty simple to me.
The more money I earn, the farther away I can be from it.

If others choose to stay in those places, that's up to them.

It's a response to gentrification. (Affluent) HARD WORKING "all races" of people moving to urban areas and jacking up the cost of living to where regular people can't afford it.

I fixed that above.

Of course, the cost of housing is going to increase as there is more demand.
It's a natural supply and demand effect.

Please define "regular people".
By that, do you mean those that rack up a ton of consumer debt to buy semi-disposable items rather than save and invest in order to accomplish future goals?

Often people like to label everything as a racist issue or poor vs rich. However, this misses the mark in my opinion.

I grew up poor and immediately got as far away from that atmosphere as possible.
Poor vs rich usually boils down to their attitudes toward money.

You can choose to spend it all, as I mentioned above, or save and invest.
But if one person is going to blow all of there money buying non-essential items, they shouldn't cry about someone else that stays home, saves money, and works towards future goals.

Saving money means being willing to stay home and be bored sometimes. Those that can't do that, and seek entertainment constantly, are naturally going to burn through their money quickly.

When someone laments about being poor, are they truly poor? or do they just spend all of their money?

I'm not saying poverty doesn't exist, so please don't mischaracterize my post as being insensitive.
But for the majority of "regular people", they are not truly poor.

I fixed that above.

Of course, the cost of housing is going to increase as there is more demand.
It's a natural supply and demand effect.

Please define "regular people".
By that, do you mean those that rack up a ton of consumer debt to buy semi-disposable items rather than save and invest in order to accomplish future goals?

Often people like to label everything as a racist issue or poor vs rich. However, this misses the mark in my opinion.

I grew up poor and immediately got as far away from that atmosphere as possible.
Poor vs rich usually boils down to their attitudes toward money.

You can choose to spend it all, as I mentioned above, or save and invest.
But if one person is going to blow all of there money buying non-essential items, they shouldn't cry about someone else that stays home, saves money, and works towards future goals.

Saving money means being willing to stay home and be bored sometimes. Those that can't do that, and seek entertainment constantly, are naturally going to burn through their money quickly.

When someone laments about being poor, are they truly poor? or do they just spend all of their money?

I'm not saying poverty doesn't exist, so please don't mischaracterize my post as being insensitive.
But for the majority of "regular people", they are not truly poor.
That's why Bernie and the democrats paying for all the student loans pisses me off. Why did people save, work, and pay them off instead of just going on vacations and not paying them then?? It's the only thing in politics that actually fills me with anger.

In terms of fiscal responsibility I know that shortly after getting out of the military I was paying nearly 4k rent and utilities for a Ranch style house in Owens Mills. Sucked it up got roommates and lived in a small bedroom for 3 years, saved nearly 100k.

Generally no matter how much you earn, people continue to spend nearly all of it. But when your broke 100 bucks will see you through 2 weeks as long as there's not an addiction problem.

Section 8 is modern day slum lords. Absent owners renting properties for a government check. It's why u actually see an abundance of apartment complexes or duplex's.

It's a response to gentrification. Affluent white people moving to urban areas and jacking up the cost of living to where regular people can't afford it.
Gotta love how it's "jacking up the cost of living" and not increasing property values. Yeah, fuck them for not committing crime to keep property values low. Regular people deal drugs and shoot each other to keep rent low, cause ya know, regular people are more concerned with cheap rent in crime infested areas than safe neighborhoods where businesses can operate.

In terms of fiscal responsibility I know that shortly after getting out of the military I was paying nearly 4k rent and utilities for a Ranch style house in Owens Mills. Sucked it up got roommates and lived in a small bedroom for 3 years, saved nearly 100k.

Generally no matter how much you earn, people continue to spend nearly all of it. But when your broke 100 bucks will see you through 2 weeks as long as there's not an addiction problem.

Good Man!
That's the way to do it!

Unfortunately, there are people that would look at you and say things like, "You're rich", "you're lucky", and point out that you must be privileged.
Rather than seeing it for what it really is, which is discipline, sacrifice, having goals and making good decisions.

Gotta love how it's "jacking up the cost of living" and not increasing property values. Yeah, fuck them for not committing crime to keep property values low. Regular people deal drugs and shoot each other to keep rent low, cause ya know, regular people are more concerned with cheap rent in crime infested areas than safe neighborhoods where businesses can operate.
Woooosh, right over your head. Dude, the klan meeting is that way.

Is there a moral imperative to not make economic choices that negatively affect other people?

There was a sherdogger on here that called me racist for suggesting that government housing be located far far away from nice areas.

I think government housing should exist, but it should be very far away and limited to remote areas where no one wants to live. Like next to landfills for example. The purpose of it would be to provide the minimum social safety net while minimizing the harm these people cause to the rest of the population. This would dramatically improve cities and make them much safer and more hospital to live.

Back