Opinion: Brain damage has nothing to do with how many punches you take

CTE confirmed for 1st time in live person, according to exam of ex-NFL player
John KeilmanContact ReporterChicago Tribune
Four years ago, researchers from Evanston’s NorthShore University HealthSystem and other scientific organizations announced they had used brain scans to detect the hallmark of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, in ex-NFL players while they were still alive — a technique that promised to spur more accurate diagnoses, and possibly new treatments.

The scans indicated the presence of tau, a protein that builds up over damaged brain cells. But the scientists cautioned that the results needed to be confirmed, because CTE, a dementia-like disease linked to repetitive head trauma, can be definitively diagnosed only by examining brain tissue after a person’s death.
The Neurosurgery paper says its subject played football for 22 years, including 12 in the NFL. He had only one reported concussion, suffered when he was in college, and didn’t even have his “bell rung” very often.

When he was done playing, he went through law school, joined a firm and became partner. A few years after that, though, he was dismissed for poor performance. The same thing happened at least twice more until he finally stopped practicing law and filed for bankruptcy.
By the time he was 59, he was showing distressing behavioral traits researchers believe are signs of CTE: memory loss, depression, a lack of impulse control and a bad temper. Two years later, his motor skills deteriorated until he couldn’t feed himself.

Toward the end of his life, McNeill was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a disease that causes muscles to weaken and waste away, along with presumptive CTE. He died at 63.

Brain scans are just one diagnostic tool scientists are trying to develop to combat CTE. Researchers at Boston University announced in September they had found higher levels of a protein called CCL11 in the brains of people diagnosed with CTE, and that it might be possible to use that as a biomarker to detect the disease in the living.

But Dr. Lili-Naz Hazrati, a neuroscience researcher at Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children, said no matter the technology, reliable CTE detection still appears far away.

She said the tissue images included in the Neurosurgery paper did not convince her that the ex-NFL player actually was suffering from CTE. Tau is associated with other neurological diseases, including Alzheimer’s, and can also be present in healthy brains, she said.

Figuring out a way to definitively diagnose the disease in living people is important because early detection improves the odds of successful treatment, she said. But she said scientists have yet to find biomarkers that identify Alzheimer’s — a disease that has been studied for more than a century — and CTE will likely prove no easier.

“When there’s such a diversity (of diagnostic techniques) and no one seems to be finding the same thing, it’s really hard to validate the findings,” she said.

Dr. Julian Bailes, a NorthShore neurosurgeon, said Wednesday that confirmation has arrived.

In a paper published last week in the journal Neurosurgery, Bailes and other researchers reported that one of the former players who underwent a scan had his brain examined after he died — and sure enough, the tissue revealed he had been suffering from CTE.

Minnesota Vikings who died in 2015.

Four years ago, researchers announced that they had used brain scans to detect the hallmark of CTE. (Nov. 16, 2017)

Dr. Bennet Omalu, the pioneering CTE researcher portrayed by actor Will Smith in the 2015 movie “Concussion,” is the lead author on the Neurosurgery paper. Last year Omalu told CNN that McNeill underwent the tau-detecting brain scan. After McNeill’s death, Omalu said he found signs of CTE in the athlete’s brain tissue.

[email protected]

Twitter @JohnKeilman

Cheers. Top man.

Four years ago, researchers announced that they had used brain scans to detect the hallmark of CTE.

Still early days, but I bet if they did tests on a lot of sportsmen/women who play contact sports, they'd probably be advised to retire at an early age.

I don't know if you're an NFL fan, but I was watching one of those NFL films they do about the Chicago Bears and one of the players been interviewed was called Jim McMahon? a Quarterback. He was talking about how his memory was going, bouts of anxiety, depression and losing his temper easily as he aged. I think he went to a CBT professional and while he said he still has bouts of forgetting things, he found that doing simple things like playing Connect 4 or painting helped with his memory.

I wonder if some of that ties in with professional sports people who when they retire, they don't know what to do with themselves and a lot of them have been living in a bubble playing at the highest level and it ends so quickly. It's like they go through a bad case of cold Turkey when they retire or have to with injuries.

Genetics matter, as it does with everything. Gene factors and individual cognitive reserve seems to influence the rate and duration of brain pathology after a concussion, including sequela, and in turn post concussive symptoms. Same with Alzheimers and other neurogenerative diseases, which counts CTE. Both CTE and Alzheimers share the same accumulation of the brain protein tau btw.

With that said, epigenetics, environment, mental state, physical state and OBVIOUSLY blows to the head matters just as much, if not substantially more on average. Everything points to a causal link between brain trauma and neurodegeneration. Just because person A can take more damage than person B, doesn't mean that the damage doesn't have effect. Some people are just outliers, as with any pathology.

Point is, more hits leads to greater brain damage, leads to neurogeneration, leads to symptoms.

Last edited:
But you have no idea if his credentials are BS, do you? What are your credentials to speak intelligently on the topic?
Bachelors of science. I didn’t mean bull shit. I didn’t give my opinion and source it with my college credentials. The fact that someone offers anything less than a masters and provides their credentials after giving an opinion is disingenuous. No one is becoming some expert at how the brain receives trauma by completing a bachelors. Nothing to take away from a bachelors, it is what it is. But it by no mean should be used as some sort of leverage or personal accolade in a casual convo

Bachelors of science. I didn’t mean bull shit. I didn’t give my opinion and source it with my college credentials. The fact that someone offers anything less than a masters and provides their credentials after giving an opinion is disingenuous. No one is becoming some expert at how the brain receives trauma by completing a bachelors. Nothing to take away from a bachelors, it is what it is. But it by no mean should be used as some sort of leverage or personal accolade in a casual convo
Fair enough, carry on

The 80/20 rule applies to everything else. So, why not brain damage?

20% of the "cause" produces 80% of the "effect" and then the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

You see the 80/20 rule on talent in guys like Forrest Griffin who are workaholics but, at the end of the day, are just pretty good fighters. Then you get guys like Jon Jones who snorts coke during training camp and is the GOAT.

I think that brain damage is mostly genetic. Your brain is either genetically programmed to repair itself after getting hit or it's not. I think that the amount of getting hit matters less than your brain's genetic ability to repair itself.

There are guys that have never even had a fight and have just trained in the gym but slur their speech. Then there are guys like Overeem who have been KOd just too many times and seems really smart. Guys like Muhammad Ali who gets Parkinsons and then guys like George Chuvalo who got his jawbone cracked in half by Frazier's left hook, fought Ali multiple times, fought Foreman, fought Jerry Quarry, fought Floyd Patterson, just ate the most brutal shots from the hardest punchers and most dangerous guys in history. Considered to have the best chin in history. Sounds completely lucid at 81 years old.

This is just my opinion, which is totally not a medical opinion and based on absolutely no knowledge of anything. What is your opinion?

Brain damage has nothing to do with damage to the brain?

What an... um.. interesting thought.

Look up the quarry brothers. 4 brothers 3 boxed.

Back