Opinion: Brain damage has nothing to do with how many punches you take

The 80/20 rule applies to everything else. So, why not brain damage?

20% of the "cause" produces 80% of the "effect" and then the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

You see the 80/20 rule on talent in guys like Forrest Griffin who are workaholics but, at the end of the day, are just pretty good fighters. Then you get guys like Jon Jones who snorts coke during training camp and is the GOAT.

I think that brain damage is mostly genetic. Your brain is either genetically programmed to repair itself after getting hit or it's not. I think that the amount of getting hit matters less than your brain's genetic ability to repair itself.

There are guys that have never even had a fight and have just trained in the gym but slur their speech. Then there are guys like Overeem who have been KOd just too many times and seems really smart. Guys like Muhammad Ali who gets Parkinsons and then guys like George Chuvalo who got his jawbone cracked in half by Frazier's left hook, fought Ali multiple times, fought Foreman, fought Jerry Quarry, fought Floyd Patterson, just ate the most brutal shots from the hardest punchers and most dangerous guys in history. Considered to have the best chin in history. Sounds completely lucid at 81 years old.

This is just my opinion, which is totally not a medical opinion and based on absolutely no knowledge of anything. What is your opinion?

Look, it's probably a lot like lung cancer: a few people can smoke like a chimney for an entire lifetime with now consequences, but the likelihood of getting it is far higher for most people who take up smoking.

Likewise, a few people can be in absolute wars and avoid serious brain damage.

One difference; the brain can't replace lost brain cells. Once they are gone, they are gone forever.

Not an ounce of science in a word you just said. Good thing you labeled it "opinion".

I can't really argue that genetics might have a play in it.

I also think the massive weight cutting before getting struck in the head repeatedly may amplify the amount of CTE probability.

Think it's been 'proven' that being dehydrated as fuck results in less cerebral fluid which = less brain goop to slosh around and protect from head trauma. Also very well could be why some guys dont take shots as well after nasty weight cuts ect

Well the Science suggests the brain hitting the skull is bad. Where it becomes really dangerous is when it hits the skull a 2nd time before the first concussion has fully healed.

See: Brett Favre and his current cognitive state.

And probably infinitely more versed on the subject than you, give the man his props. Did you attend university? Were you dedicated enough to learn multiple majors, particularly as difficult as human anatomy and physics. I have a BA with a focus in supply chain management, I recognize the work put in to earn that, much less 3 majors. Dont be a hater dude

unrelated af to your sensible and reasonable post but...why have a pic of ass in you avatar when its literally devoid of ass?

{<huh}

Just like you see ppl smoking their entire lives n have no issues

While others get throat/lung cancer without even smoking

It’s most likley genetic

Could you wait and not make threads while you’re high next time?

You can spend aaaallll day shuffling words around but the salient facts are these; hitting the organ that does thinking very very hard reapeatedly will affect it negatively thus causing brain damage/mental illness
Yes and as we have seen fighters who get hit and koed suffer worse like chuck. He was never the same after rampage got him. Its those blows that cause a ko or wobble fighters that cause the most damage. I think those ko's account for more brain damage then hundreds of normal punches.

When someone says ‘it’s my opinion’ the person is pretty aware that what they are talking about is absolute bullshit. ‘It’s just like my opinion, man’

Bachelor's of Science with Biology, Psychology and Physics as majors.

There's another guy here with a Bachelor's or masters in Psychology, though he either changed his name or doesn't post often anymore.
Ah the old triple major. Lol.

Wtf is the point of posting bullshit opinions that are not rooted in any real knowledge regarding a particular topic?

Instead of being lazy and remaining ignorant (and telling us that you are lazy and ignorant), why not educate yourself by reading some of the research findings and current ideas of experts who don’t just make shit up or cling to simplistic generalizations like the “80/20 rule”?

Nothing to do with the amount of punches you take? Okay so someone who has never been hit ever in the head versus a fighter who gets hit in the head for a living over say a 15 year career. Their chance of brain damage is equal if the fighter has this special brain cell regenerative process you're taking about?

Nothing to do with the amount of punches you take? Okay so someone who has never been hit ever in the head versus a fighter who gets hit in the head for a living over say a 15 year career. Their chance of brain damage is equal if the fighter has this special brain cell regenerative process you're taking about?

Alright Mr. Scientist . . .

When you're young at least, the brain has a way of rewiring itself if you take severe brain injury. This is obviously not the same when you're older, but I met a guy who was close to being a vegetable after a terrible motorcycle crash, and he spent months learning and memorizing things until he was functional again. He's in his 40s now but complains that his memory is foggy compared to before the incident.

Neurodegeneration is normal with age, as other parts of the body also degenerate. However, someone with all that pre-existing damage is obviously going to lose their brain capacity more quickly than someone who did not.

I've been hit hard enough in practice where the side I get punched on aches from the inside, but I've never been dropped/wobbled to suffer a concussion. However, I am still taking damage over time instead of one concussive blow to the head, which wouldn't affect my brain function on a magnitude to make a difference.

The average brain has a 100 billion neurons, and hundreds to thousands synapses with other neurons as well. You do the math.

Ali most likely had a genetic predisposition to parkinsons, where the brain damage accelerated it.

Here is a video of Jake Lamott, a legendary slugger who passed away in his 90s and was still articulate at that age.

And the unfortunate:

The 80/20 rule applies to everything else. So, why not brain damage?

20% of the "cause" produces 80% of the "effect" and then the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

You see the 80/20 rule on talent in guys like Forrest Griffin who are workaholics but, at the end of the day, are just pretty good fighters. Then you get guys like Jon Jones who snorts coke during training camp and is the GOAT.

I think that brain damage is mostly genetic. Your brain is either genetically programmed to repair itself after getting hit or it's not. I think that the amount of getting hit matters less than your brain's genetic ability to repair itself.

There are guys that have never even had a fight and have just trained in the gym but slur their speech. Then there are guys like Overeem who have been KOd just too many times and seems really smart. Guys like Muhammad Ali who gets Parkinsons and then guys like George Chuvalo who got his jawbone cracked in half by Frazier's left hook, fought Ali multiple times, fought Foreman, fought Jerry Quarry, fought Floyd Patterson, just ate the most brutal shots from the hardest punchers and most dangerous guys in history. Considered to have the best chin in history. Sounds completely lucid at 81 years old.

This is just my opinion, which is totally not a medical opinion and based on absolutely no knowledge of anything. What is your opinion?

Nice shout out to Canadian legend George Chuvalo, one of the most tragic life stories in history and a great man.

As for the purpose of the post, yeah, the brain is a mysterious thing that we really don't know all that much about.

Alright Mr. Scientist . . .
Where did I even attempt a scientific argument?
tenor.gif

Back